Musicians who are off the chart intelligent

gbow

Reaction score
AND... Just because you have an advanced degree doesn't necessarily make you a genius. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and I'm far from a genius. Sometimes school is as much about perseverance as it is anything else.

gabo

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Intelligence vs intellectuality, define two separate categories of cognitive abilities .
Interllectuality vs intelligence. Intellectuality can absorb a great deal of data. The intelligent can learn that data from the intellectual, and apply it to practical use. Both are no good without wisdom.

Dumb = unable to get it.
Stupid = will not get it.

Intellectuals who are arrogant will be the latter.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Reaction score
AND... Just because you have an advanced degree doesn't necessarily make you a genius. I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and I'm far from a genius. Sometimes school is as much about perseverance as it is anything else.

gabo
Absolutely. I worked in university research for years; I knew Ph.D.s that were brilliant, and I knew some that were borderline idiots.

kaosotis

Reaction score
I think it can be hard to define intelligence sometimes. There are lots of people that are very smart that never went to college or barely finished high school. A lot of musicians opted to forgo schooling in an effort to achieve their musical dreams. I think most of the guys in Van Halen are pretty smart. They are typically remembered for the partying and drugs they took but if you have ever really read about them, they are all pretty smart. Alex has always been pretty well spoken in interviews after he got sober. DLR has spent a lifetime learning about other cultures and languages. He speaks at least English, Spanish and Japanese as he spent a good amount of time in countries that speak those languages. Eddie and Alex both speak Dutch as they were born there and Eddie has invented all kinds of things for the guitar that have changed the industry forever.

I think Sting was a college professor and Jim Morrison was off the charts smart.
Sting taught school for 2 years. Was not a professor.

Here's a few from the edgier side of music.

Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine) is highly intelligent, Harvard educated.

Greg Graffin (singer for Bad Religion) has some of the strongest Bona Fides as he's not only a PhD from Cornell in Zoology, taught at Cornell and currently teachers at UC Berkeley.

Milo Aukerman (singer The Descendents) has a doctorate in Biology. Continues to do post-doctoral research.

And as someone mentioned Dexter Holland from The Offspring as well.

Last edited:

Vinnie Kay

Reaction score
These guys are smokin' the good stuff ...

This guy is AWESOME! I would love to have hung out with him sometime. Maybe get a jazz trio thing going like Mose Allison. I have known for 45 years that there are over 100,000 solar systems within our galaxy alone that mirror, to a certain extent, our solar system. So, WE are not the end all/be all. At first when the interviewer was posing the question I thought it was going to break out in a comedy routine. Like, WTF kind of question is that? The guy is a musical composer!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grad degrees don't bestow 'off the chart intelligence'. I've met a few people with a Phd who were stunningly deficient in areas outside of their discipline.

ps: if someone is quick to prove how smart they are with a degree they obviously aren't.
- I think the point is that it takes a certain amount of discipline, understanding and working brain cells to attain these. Dissing someone else's achievement doesn't make me any smarter.

kicksave

Reaction score
I'm not dissing.. trust me .. when I was out with vh as a tech in 88-90 I will tell you we weren't allowed to MENTION DLR! I did hear he was truly a "FUCKING GENIUS PIECE OF WORK" more than a few times though...

kicksave

Reaction score
Joshua Redman,

HS valedictorian, Harvard summa cum laude, accepted to Yale Law School -- before he switched to music...
absolutely spot on.. I've worked with him & The Bad Plus..he is a stunning musician humble, and a kind, polite human.

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
Huey Lewis perfect score on math portion sat

Others I believe with super high iqs

frank zappa
David lee roth
Guy from boston
Any others?
Buddy Rich had an eight grade education.....

I guess he played sub par when he played in the universities and concert halls that he did?

IQ is over rated. The way they measure for it is anyway. Its too tunnel visioned for what is to be discovered.

Last edited:

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
You’re confusing actual achievement
(Buddy and drumming) with measured performance of intelligence I.e. phds mds or perfect sat scores

I don’t know if buddy could max out a
a purely intellectual pursuit

who knows? Doesn’t Demean him
Nor the credentialed person

No reflection at all on either

I only started thread as I was surprised that Huey Lewis maxed out sat math

that is wicked smart!!!

Fat_asian

Reaction score
Chris Cornell!!! He was the frontman from Soundgarden and audio adrenaline, he formed the super group called temple of the dog with such hits as hungerstrike with amazing vocals from himself, Eddie vedder and Chester Bennington from Pearl jam and Linkin Park respectively. Talk about noise! And loud volume!

Later in his career he made a solo CD with the rap beats go to guy timbaland the king of rap beats. He had some pretty good stuff that timbaland. Him and Chris made a CD together with the lead single video featuring method man and wladimir Klitschko!

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Regarding anyone that's been mentioned - they're not great musicians because they're smart, they're smart because they're great musicians.

Latest posts