MUST SEE!! i just bought the most AMAZING collection ever!! L@@K!

Altar

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That ride you featured in some of your videos... That's insane! What is it?

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
Altar said:
i love that ride!! its a ONE OF A KIND Zildjian 22" UNFINISHED ride... only made it about 3 steps into the process. it was cast, then shaped, then a bell pressed and thats it! no hammering, no lathing, no shaping, no cutting down... its that 40's TAH sound. its on par with a K istanbul... i was thinking of putting it up for sale soon, but would ask an insane price for it.

i love that cymbal!

OptikDrums

Player
Reaction score
dexplosion said:
I'm fairly certain Barret Deems was Louis Armstrong's drummer for a while.
Us Louisiana drummers need to know this! ;P

Altar

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
roundbadgedude said:
i love that ride!! its a ONE OF A KIND Zildjian 22" UNFINISHED ride... only made it about 3 steps into the process. it was cast, then shaped, then a bell pressed and thats it! no hammering, no lathing, no shaping, no cutting down... its that 40's TAH sound. its on par with a K istanbul... i was thinking of putting it up for sale soon, but would ask an insane price for it.

i love that cymbal!
That's definitely something special... Nice.

dexplosion

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
if you are that broken up about it, then bid on all the pieces and keep it together. oh wait, you never even heard of Barrett, guess thats out...
Teach me something about him.

otherwise, you can let the few dudes around the world who have been dying for years to pick up a BOP jazz fest or 18" floor tom at a fair auction price have their chance. when was the last time you saw either of those pieces start at $100 with no reserve? EVERYONE gets the opportunity to have a crack at it.
So, you justify what you're doing by thinking it's a favor?

also, the kit was 22, 12, 12, 16, 18... pretty bizarre setup that ive never really seen anyone play before, and im sure its not a desirable configuration. sure i could keep it together and be like every other dreamer on ebay and put it at 'buy it now' for 4500 or best offer and sit on it for 3 years til i give it away, or start the kit at 100 bucks and have it sell for 1200 + shipping, which would be fun to have to ship all together, esp with a damn canister throne.
Don't buy it in the first place.
No one handed you this responsibility.

and if i was using his name for profit, dont u think i would set exorbitant reserves and blow off about how amazing and special they are?
Why include his name at all then?

GIVE ME A DAMN BREAK MAN.

I source and sell rare vintage percussion FOR A LIVING. I am probably the most reasonably priced seller in this entire industry, just ask any of my hundreds of clients on here, and i have no problem spending hours on the phone with potential clients, taking hundreds of pictures and sending them off within minutes of a reply or phone call.
People make cigarettes for a living too.

Sorry if i have a wife and kids to feed, rent and car payments, etc etc, and im not a liberal drum nerd. business is business.
I'm not a liberal drum nerd.
I just think drums are more than something to be collected and looked at solely for monetary gain.

and yes, i do play, and im pretty scary... - youtube.com/drumsbykevin
Meh...

Here's my problem.
You come on here bragging about this massive haul.
That's cool. This is a drum forum. We all like drums. That's why we're all here.
But, instead of sharing something useful about them or providing some kind of information we can learn from, you just tell us they're for sale.
How do they sound? What do they feel like under a stick?
From my point of view, you're just in this for the money, and that's not what I believe drums are about.

imthebeat

Reaction score
dexplosion said:
Mr. Deems passed away in 1998, here is his obituary from a British tabloid:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/obituary-barrett-deems-1198617.html

While not on the popularity level with Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa, he was a fairly well known jazz drummer who appeared in a few films and played with Louis Armstrong's band in the mid-1950's, and obviously had a fairly large drum collection, as I don't believe this is the first time his drums have been sold.

Usually when you use a well-known, (or somewhat well known person's name in this case) in a public sale, it's good form to provide a letter of authenticity with the goods. A "BD" on a bass drum head doesn't cut it for authenticity.

The celebration here on the forum is not for the preservation of a famous drummer's extensive drum collection, it's for the "score", judging from the OP's excitement he got a really good deal on the collection and might profit handsomely from his sales.

Another way to look at it, the drums are going to get played, instead of sitting stacked up, unused in a dark, dingy room.

The OP did the research and legwork, drove hundreds of miles, took the risk and paid cash I presume, his drums now, free to do whatever he wants with them, and free to tell us about it. He has also carefully cultivated a persona here on the forum that straddles a line between giving the appearance of having an appreciation for the care and preservation of vintage drums and promoting his business as a drum reseller.

You disagree and look at it differently, the forum exists to promote the exchange of ideas and opinions, hopefully in a respectful manner, but the OP chooses to respond:

"I'm not a liberal drum nerd, business is business". Not sure what a "liberal drum nerd" is, maybe a collector, a purist or a long-time member of the vintage drum "community"? A drummer that supports a particular viewpoint and uses a pocket protector?

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he's just tired from all the driving and getting those listings up on Ebay asap.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
@dexplosion He;s not bragging Share in the joy of getting these drums out in the sunlight. You're coming at it from a very weird angle. They're drums they're not little chicks found wandering in the forest could have ended in a pawnshop dumpster or worse.
These are all going to people who will appreciate and appreciate them for years on.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Barrett was/is/was doesn't everyone know a little of Barrett Deems. He was Louis Armstrong's drummer; he was billed as Fastest drummer in the world; he was a mainstay at Vintage Drum Shows the past decade ( check his solos from Chicago) and has the famous quote about a particular Crash cymbal
" Was Like Throwing a Bottle of Whiskey thru a Plate glass window"

https://www.google.com/search?q=barrett+deems+chicago&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=barrett+deems+chicago&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&tbm=vid

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
These drums are cool even without the Barrett factor- altho most drummers know he was a collector- and his collections- have been around- shown- for years;
Where you going to find a six-lug Burg sparkle G snare for 99 no reserve anyway.

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
@dexplosion: Yes. You are the only one against this.

It's a great opportunity to get some nice stuff, stored for almost 20 years in the dark closet. Isn't it fantastic that those drums will be played instead displayed?

If I bought such stuff I would share it with everyone interested, same as Kevin. Maybe keep one things or two.

Enjoy instead of complain, there are interesting pieces there. I prefer that instead of watching one guy showing plenty of the green vistalites manufactured. It's a clear message: You won't get it.

Rik_Everglade

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have to agree that Roundbadgedude offers his wares in the most fair method possible. I always think that he might be insane because he starts his bids at $0.99, but he gets the fair market price. I cannot complain about his methods.

Vibes

Reaction score
Nice haul. I think Ludwig did offer kits with 2 12"s. In a set at one time along with other drum companies. But I do understand the logic in offering the drums as a big beat outfit and one 12" the 18" and cannister throne separately. What I don't understand and have wondered about in some of my acquisitions is why the sellers do not take the time, or if they don't know how, hire someone to put the items on eBay themselves. They are obviously wanting to sell. I guess some people don't know anything about working on a computer, it is pretty self explanatory, or don't want to fool with the packing and shipping. There is a little business in my area that will pack and ship your eBay sales for a nominal fee. I guess it is our gain that some people just want to sell and be done with it.

OptikDrums

Player
Reaction score
As far as the whole money making thing.. I'll testify.
Kevin gives us guys on the forum first dibs on this gear. His prices are reasonable. He shares the "find" with us.

He may not be able to "afford" to buy all of these drums and keep them... I don't understand this hating on him... This dude made a kick ass grab and is super stoked. Celebrate with him! Come on! OLD DRUMS!

Hell, i already bought one! :)

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
FYI - all of these drums were locked away in a wooden storage crate, in the back of a musty old storage facility just outside of Chicago (Barrett's home town), had been sitting there for God knows how long... 2 leedy black elites... 2 gladstone/langs... 2 custom ludwig black beauties... and everything else... all locked away and forgotten about in a crappy old wood crate in a failing storage facility. no one knew what or where they were for a long time....

thats why im excited. they were rescued. offered here to friends and fellow forumites for below market value prices.

if you have a problem with that, just dont make an offer on anything and you wont have a super rare valuable drum for a great price.

oh and you should probably protest the 'for sale' section on here, since all of us evil profiteers in there need to be stopped!

Vibes

Reaction score
I am excited for you finding and rescuing those drums. Especially under those conditions. Can't wait to hear the full story behind this find. Can you imagine these drums being ruined from dampness, mold, critters, or who knows what. Those beautiful top hat and cane snares. Any of it. You know there are probably other situations like that out there that may never be found or found to late.

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
wrong choice of words, im sorry, i got alittle aggravated, since i got back ive been working on this collection non stop answering questions and sending pics, talking to several experts, etc. its all been very tiring.

i guess what i meant by 'liberal drum nerd' is being one of those people who constantly give me hell for being a reseller and saying things like 'you are not about the integrity of the drums!'

total BS. I, as much as you and everyone else here am incredibly passionate about drums, especially vintage hard to find pieces. but no matter what, whenever i come into great stuff and have it for sale, theres ALWAYS a ball buster out there hating on me for doing so, talking like they would do things totally different and its all about the moral of the drum, etc.