MUST SEE!! i just bought the most AMAZING collection ever!! L@@K!

Slowking

Reaction score
roundbadgedude said:
Great drums, great score.

Having said that, in my opinion, constantly self promoting sales in the vintage section is disrespectful. RB is the main culprit, but there are others who could care less because there is more traffic here in this section. If everyone decided to follow his lead this place would truly suck.

Paul
lol again, i am not promoting sales here, just sharing this score with everyone.

look man, everyone knows im a reseller. i literally cant post anything here without people getting up in arms.

heres the bottom line - i scored the BIGGEST score ive ever had, and probably ever will have.
i am super stoked about it.
i wanted to share it with everyone here, cuz i know if anyone here scored this they would be just as excited about it.
Kevin went on vacation to Chicago and all we got in the vintage venue was a lousy T-shirt and a couple of cell phone shots of the biggest score. That's your idea of giving back to the community you use to sell your stuff?

H

hindadoon

roundbadgedude said:

Having said that, in my opinion, constantly self promoting sales in the vintage section is disrespectful. RB is the main culprit, but there are others who could care less because there is more traffic here in this section. If everyone decided to follow his lead this place would truly suck.

Paul
lol again, i am not promoting sales here, just sharing this score with everyone.

look man, everyone knows im a reseller. i literally cant post anything here without people getting up in arms.

heres the bottom line - i scored the BIGGEST score ive ever had, and probably ever will have.
i am super stoked about it.
i wanted to share it with everyone here, cuz i know if anyone here scored this they would be just as excited about it.
Thanks for the correction Rich. In the past 3 days, I've slept all of 12 hours...there is that, and the fact that I'm highly uneducated.

I beg to differ RB. You are blatantly using this section to sell your stuff. You do it quite often. The other guilty parties are chiming in with hardy back slapping.

I guess there is the possibility that I'm misinterpreting "thanks in advance, and let me know if you like anything!" or

"thanks guys, i am listing half of the items tonight on ebay, most starting for $99! some valuable stuff, but mostly saving the really nice stuff to sell privately."

Again, I think its a great score and quite exciting, but lets be honest here.

Paul

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have to be honest. From other side of the Atlantic Ocean. We here do not even have a chance to score like you, because of distance. I really hate to read how one or the other scored great stuff on craigslist, or local pawn shop. Because I know, that it is gone to somebody's place. Thanks to what was found by roundbadgedude I also have a chance to pick what I was looking for.
Who is selfish, gentlemen? The one who scored for himself or the one who shares stuff with everybody? I don't care where the post is. I look for opportunity.
Thanks for that, Kevin.
And for haters, take a look how quick the items are being sold...

keithfox

Reaction score
Nice drums, Id be excited also. People get mad over the silliest things. I dont want to take sides here, but I say let him be excited. Its a once in a lifetime score. Everybody is entitled to a opinion, theres nothing wrong with that. But dont gang up on the guy. He found em, drove to em, paid for em. Sounds like a lotta work. Who knows, maybe he has something youve been looking for and you can work out a deal on it.

Slowking

Reaction score
Rik_Everglade said:
I agree. I drooled over a few, wished that I could get them for a song. I didn't. Everybody wants one, that's how it became a selling thread.
Rik,
You are confused.
It became a selling thread when in the first post he mentioned it was going to be sold.
Read it.
"I will be selling all of these items soon". Also " let me know if you like something".

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Rich K. said:

Paul
1. The expression is "couldn't care less," not "could care less."
(Sorry for the OT, but that's a pet peeve of mine.)

2. I think roundbadge's posts here are cool because he's upfront about what he does. What bothers me much more are those experienced dealers who come on this forum to promote but disguise their posts by "what's it worth?" or "ever seen one of these?" questions even though they've been buying and selling for years and know full well what they have.
Hey, I'm often guilty of posting "Here's one you don't see too often" type topics. Obviously, I sell drums but I do enjoy sharing photos of them, too. That's a large part of the enjoyment. I don't do it to promote them here, as I have a web site for that. Personally, I enjoyed seeing the photos of the stacks of rarities that RB found. I don't understand the negativity.

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree that it is unfortunate to see the Oyster Blue Pearl kit (not Blue Oyster Pearl) being broken up this way. I don't buy into the "Hey, it's all for sale, so just buy them all" logic at all. Way too much risk involved in trying to coordinate and secure six simultaneous e-Bay auctions. I would be very surprised if these all went to one owner.

Obviously, that is Rooundbadgedude's prerogative - but it makes me sad nonetheless.

Also - the twin mounted 12" toms were the configuration of the original Hollywood kit offered by Ludwig, which lines up pretty well with the white painted interior and BB mufflers.

Congratulations on the once in a lifetime score and good luck with liquidating the collection.

H

hindadoon

Mark Cooper said:

Paul

2. I think roundbadge's posts here are cool because he's upfront about what he does. What bothers me much more are those experienced dealers who come on this forum to promote but disguise their posts by "what's it worth?" or "ever seen one of these?" questions even though they've been buying and selling for years and know full well what they have.
Hey, I'm often guilty of posting "Here's one you don't see too often" type topics. Obviously, I sell drums but I do enjoy sharing photos of them, too. That's a large part of the enjoyment. I don't do it to promote them here, as I have a web site for that. Personally, I enjoyed seeing the photos of the stacks of rarities that RB found. I don't understand the negativity.

Negativity? I was hoping my second point would be taken as constructive criticism, not negativity. If it appears negative, that was not my aim, and I offer my apologies to the community.

Mark, I've been to your site and its very well done. You have beautiful drums, photos, and it is truly a vintage drummer/enthusiasts dream site. Even with all that going for it, I'd venture to guess there is more daily traffic here at the DFO.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Change thread title from " Must See!" ..to.. " Musty!"

there. Now Polka Time everybody happy
(I thought that was funny..

FunkyCrime

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mark Cooper said:

Paul

I agree with Mr. Cooper, I think it's great that Kevin dug out this pocket of rarities and shared here with us! I've met Kevin in the past and he gave me an insane deal on the items I was looking for. Very nice guy and a great seller. Jealousy is the only reason I can see why people would be bad mouthing him over this..

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
FunkyCrime said:

Paul

I agree with Mr. Cooper, I think it's great that Kevin dug out this pocket of rarities and shared here with us! I've met Kevin in the past and he gave me an insane deal on the items I was looking for. Very nice guy and a great seller. Jealousy is the only reason I can see why people would be bad mouthing him over this..

+1. Some of you guys need to stop being so self righteous and petty. Get a life

Mark Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
hindadoon said:

Paul

Negativity? I was hoping my second point would be taken as constructive criticism, not negativity. If it appears negative, that was not my aim, and I offer my apologies to the community.

Mark, I've been to your site and its very well done. You have beautiful drums, photos, and it is truly a vintage drummer/enthusiasts dream site. Even with all that going for it, I'd venture to guess there is more daily traffic here at the DFO.

Well, I meant negativity in general on this entire thread. Thanks for the nice comments on my web site. I'm sure the DFO gets WAY more traffic than I do! But it's never my intent to sell directly here. I do post photos of some of my drums, although many are from my own small personal collection. After doing so much restoration work on many of the "basket cases" that come my way, I like to show the results of my work to others here on the forum. Self promotion, certainly but I enjoy posting photos and discussing drum history, too. If I happen to sell a drum because someone saw it here, that's great. I have also posted tons of vintage catalog pages here but I rarely sell catalogs. I really try to contribute here and share what I have learned, just as I enjoy learning from others. I love DFO!

Greaser

Reaction score
A few of the posts on this thread bring to mind a Buddy Rich quote that was also used by Seinfeld. "This guy - this is not my kind of guy." Kevin & almost everybody on this thread: You ARE my kind of guys. There will always be flies in the ointment, but as the old saying goes: you can't taste the sweet without the sour & this forum has always had plenty of the sour & always will. Kevin, I implore you to stop trying to justify & defend yourself to the two or three that just don't get it & never will. Let them write whatever it is that they need to get out of their system & just ignore it. There's the other grand majority of us who enjoyed most of this thread that are more than happy to share in your excitement. Some people are just "not our kind of guy".

relayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually, the negativity started with the OP calling someone a "liberal drum nerd", because he was saddened by the break up of the kit. What happened to the NO POLITICS rule? They're his drums and he can do what he wants to with them, but it should be noted that he has a dodgy ebay rating, and for someone that makes their living reselling vintage drums, a surprisingly small number of sales. I was interested in one of the Leedy Black Elites, but after his comments on here, I'll pass. I will say that his prices are very fair.

Stephen

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
Greaser said:
A few of the posts on this thread bring to mind a Buddy Rich quote that was also used by Seinfeld. "This guy - this is not my kind of guy." Kevin & almost everybody on this thread: You ARE my kind of guys. There will always be flies in the ointment, but as the old saying goes: you can't taste the sweet without the sour & this forum has always had plenty of the sour & always will. Kevin, I implore you to stop trying to justify & defend yourself to the two or three that just don't get it & never will. Let them write whatever it is that they need to get out of their system & just ignore it. There's the other grand majority of us who enjoyed most of this thread that are more than happy to share in your excitement. Some people are just "not our kind of guy".
well said, Greasy. thanks for the great advice.

Attachments

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
relayer said:
Actually, the negativity started with the OP calling someone a "liberal drum nerd", because he was saddened by the break up of the kit. What happened to the NO POLITICS rule? They're his drums and he can do what he wants to with them, but it should be noted that he has a dodgy ebay rating, and for someone that makes their living reselling vintage drums, a surprisingly small number of sales. I was interested in one of the Leedy Black Elites, but after his comments on here, I'll pass. I will say that his prices are very fair.

Stephen
relayer said:

Stephen
sigh... i have 100% feedback on ebay. i am a power seller.
i have 3 accounts as of a year ago that have almost 800 sold items on them combined, over the course of 14 months.

you dont have to buy my items. they will sell regardless.

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the 1980's before John Aldridge started Not So Modern Drummer , before the Chicago Vintage Show started, before any common internet, ebay, and books on vintage drums, the attitude and awareness of vintage drums was radically different. I can't speak for the whole country and I can't speak for other collectors, of that time, but this was my observation. There was an old guy in Ankeny Iowa (north of Des Moines) who had a building, filled with some very nice vintage sets. He was getting some new cheap , white, black , red and blue sets and trading them to naive people in the area for very nice vintage sets. I was there , talked to him and saw his place. He had a lot of vintage stuff. People thought old drums were not good and "new" was better.
I think he had a booth one year at the Chicago Show. His prices seemed high and I don't remember him getting a lot of traffic. Eventually he died and some people ( I don't know who) acquired his stash. I remember seeing a store in the Norwood area of Cincinnati called "Music Store" which was filled with a lot of drums. Many of them were taken apart. It wasn't the greatest area and I was told, it was his idea, to make this stuff, less attractive to a break in. This guy was in a wheel chair at the end. Eventually he passed and I believe a daughter dealt with liquidating that stuff. The first time I saw the drum floor of the Chicago Store in Tucson was 1993 and it had probably long before been picked over, even then. That was another crazy sight. Piles of vintage drums, many taken apart, obvious leaks in the roof. The only guy up there was the drummer for Giant Sand. I asked him, "if a guy could buy anything?" He said , probably not. He was doing some work , to earn a bass drum, as he told me , his set was stashed in Europe. In the second half of the 80's, I would go to Sol's downtown pawn shop in Omaha. Seemed to never fail to come out of there , without at least, one nice snare for 40 to 50 bucks. In my opinion, the big rush of people wanting to be in bands in the 50's, 60's and 70's was over. By the 80's many drummers wanted Yamaha and Pearl sets, and turned their noses down at vintage stuff. There was a good drum shop , not too far from me, that I used to go to. Gone now and we are talking the 85 to 90 time period. The owner was cool with vintage stuff, but a guy who worked for him and wore a white lab coat, used to subtly mock me, for being interested in vintage drums. He would talk about Pearl Masters Customs. My point is that at that time, if you worked at it, you could pick up vintage drums , all over the place and often, cheap. No one had access to information about what things sold for, like ebay, etc. Kids who were not drummers, were not looking at vintage drums, to "flip" as they are today. I don't know much about Barrett Deems and the first year, I went to the Chicago Show, he was gone. It has sounded like he had a literal ton of drums, for a long time. What seems very interesting about this deal, is that he had a storage stash that was "lost" in the sense that the family did not know where it was or that kind of stuff. The people who were dealing in vintage drums in the late 80's and 90's , were finding , acquiring and selling stashs, much bigger than this one, quite often. There were a lot of old drums out there. Today, it seems like all I ever see in pawn shops , is junk drums and I mean, real junk.

dexplosion

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not offended that you flip drums.
I'm not offended by "liberal drum nerd".

I just think all these drums are being looked at at face value.
Some people actually care what they are beyond that, and it doesn't appear that you do.