MUST SEE!! i just bought the most AMAZING collection ever!! L@@K!

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Speedy Keen said:
In the 1980's before John Aldridge started Not So Modern Drummer , before the Chicago Vintage Show started, before any common internet, ebay, and books on vintage drums, the attitude and awareness of vintage drums was radically different. I can't speak for the whole country and I can't speak for other collectors, of that time, but this was my observation. There was an old guy in Ankeny Iowa (north of Des Moines) who had a building, filled with some very nice vintage sets. He was getting some new cheap , white, black , red and blue sets and trading them to naive people in the area for very nice vintage sets. I was there , talked to him and saw his place. He had a lot of vintage stuff. People thought old drums were not good and "new" was better.
I think he had a booth one year at the Chicago Show. His prices seemed high and I don't remember him getting a lot of traffic. Eventually he died and some people ( I don't know who) acquired his stash. I remember seeing a store in the Norwood area of Cincinnati called "Music Store" which was filled with a lot of drums. Many of them were taken apart. It wasn't the greatest area and I was told, it was his idea, to make this stuff, less attractive to a break in. This guy was in a wheel chair at the end. Eventually he passed and I believe a daughter dealt with liquidating that stuff. The first time I saw the drum floor of the Chicago Store in Tucson was 1993 and it had probably long before been picked over, even then. That was another crazy sight. Piles of vintage drums, many taken apart, obvious leaks in the roof. The only guy up there was the drummer for Giant Sand. I asked him, "if a guy could buy anything?" He said , probably not. He was doing some work , to earn a bass drum, as he told me , his set was stashed in Europe. In the second half of the 80's, I would go to Sol's downtown pawn shop in Omaha. Seemed to never fail to come out of there , without at least, one nice snare for 40 to 50 bucks. In my opinion, the big rush of people wanting to be in bands in the 50's, 60's and 70's was over. By the 80's many drummers wanted Yamaha and Pearl sets, and turned their noses down at vintage stuff. There was a good drum shop , not too far from me, that I used to go to. Gone now and we are talking the 85 to 90 time period. The owner was cool with vintage stuff, but a guy who worked for him and wore a white lab coat, used to subtly mock me, for being interested in vintage drums. He would talk about Pearl Masters Customs. My point is that at that time, if you worked at it, you could pick up vintage drums , all over the place and often, cheap. No one had access to information about what things sold for, like ebay, etc. Kids who were not drummers, were not looking at vintage drums, to "flip" as they are today. I don't know much about Barrett Deems and the first year, I went to the Chicago Show, he was gone. It has sounded like he had a literal ton of drums, for a long time. What seems very interesting about this deal, is that he had a storage stash that was "lost" in the sense that the family did not know where it was or that kind of stuff. The people who were dealing in vintage drums in the late 80's and 90's , were finding , acquiring and selling stashs, much bigger than this one, quite often. There were a lot of old drums out there. Today, it seems like all I ever see in pawn shops , is junk drums and I mean, real junk.
Speedy Keen I could have wrote this. You are like me. Now I have kept 95% of what I have amassed (300 snares and 100 sets) over time and maybe you have too.

My mind set if your money buys it it is no bodys bussiness what you do with it. This stuff does not breath, reproduce, eat and s**t. I used to think it does but you know what it does not. Now I say that and as stated above I keep most of mine but I will sell it all some day as I do not want to but this burden on my son.

relayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
roundbadgedude said:
Actually, the negativity started with the OP calling someone a "liberal drum nerd", because he was saddened by the break up of the kit. What happened to the NO POLITICS rule? They're his drums and he can do what he wants to with them, but it should be noted that he has a dodgy ebay rating, and for someone that makes their living reselling vintage drums, a surprisingly small number of sales. I was interested in one of the Leedy Black Elites, but after his comments on here, I'll pass. I will say that his prices are very fair.

Stephen
relayer said:
Actually, the negativity started with the OP calling someone a "liberal drum nerd", because he was saddened by the break up of the kit. What happened to the NO POLITICS rule? They're his drums and he can do what he wants to with them, but it should be noted that he has a dodgy ebay rating, and for someone that makes their living reselling vintage drums, a surprisingly small number of sales. I was interested in one of the Leedy Black Elites, but after his comments on here, I'll pass. I will say that his prices are very fair.

Stephen
sigh... i have 100% feedback on ebay. i am a power seller.
i have 3 accounts as of a year ago that have almost 800 sold items on them combined, over the course of 14 months.

you dont have to buy my items. they will sell regardless.
My apologies. I must've been looking at another seller. Still you resorted to name-calling, and there was no call for it. I take it you only sell to Conservative Drum Studs, so that leaves me out anyway.

Stephen

relayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
roundbadgedude said:

Stephen
relayer said:

Stephen
sigh... i have 100% feedback on ebay. i am a power seller.
i have 3 accounts as of a year ago that have almost 800 sold items on them combined, over the course of 14 months.

you dont have to buy my items. they will sell regardless.
Roundbadgedude,

This is the auction I thought was you. Kevin, NJ, Barrett Deems; it all seemed to fit. As I said before, if this is not you with the low approval rating, then I'm all apologies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-vintage-Leedy-black-elite-snare-drum-leedy-black-beauty-NICE/141255488592?_trksid=p2050601.c100085.m2372&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211132617%26meid%3D6230459272759464674%26pid%3D100085%26prg%3D20140211132617%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D1412

Stephen

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's not a low approval rating that's 1 neutral and 1 negative over 230 transactions. 98.9% was still an 'A' in school.
Low? Low?..and both items were non-drum electronics. ?!? Relayer?

relayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JDA said:
That's not a low approval rating that's 1 neutral and 1 negative over 230 transactions. 98.9% was still an 'A' in school.
It's low to me. I NEVER buy from anyone without 100%, which is what he claims to have. Besides, he says that's not him.

Stephen

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
You weren't buying anything anyway what were you considering? The Leedy Elite?
You know if you won it Relayer, we'd all make sure you received it well.
We'd all be witness

relayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JDA said:
We'd all be witness
Yeah, I was interested in the Leedy, but again it appears he has a disdain for my 'kind', so I assume he doesn't want my business or my money.

Stephen

Drewdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
relayer said:
It's low to me. I NEVER buy from anyone without 100%, which is what he claims to have. Besides, he says that's not him.

Stephen
98.9% is a good rating. If you are familiar with selling on Ebay, you know you will run into some shady buyers at some point. Pretty silly to proclaim that you will never buy anything from someone who doesn't have 100% feedback. I would trust many vintage drum sellers on Ebay over whoever is posting drums on Guitar Center's vintage section.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
relayer said:
We'd all be witness
Yeah, I was interested in the Leedy, but again it appears he has a disdain for my 'kind', so I assume he doesn't want my business or my money.

Stephen
And let's just follow this through... He'd know it's you that won it (hypothetically) how?
Well I'll tell ya what. I'm going to allow you to bid on it right now forward. I don't know Kevin but I guarrantee he.. Is it a USA address it would be sent to? Bid.

oh wait a second. Can we get your feedback rating first Just a precaution
;)

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
JCKLudwig said:
Great drums, great score.

Having said that, in my opinion, constantly self promoting sales in the vintage section is disrespectful. RB is the main culprit, but there are others who could care less because there is more traffic here in this section. If everyone decided to follow his lead this place would truly suck.

Paul
1. The expression is "couldn't care less," not "could care less."
(Sorry for the OT, but that's a pet peeve of mine.)

2. I think roundbadge's posts here are cool because he's upfront about what he does. What bothers me much more are those experienced dealers who come on this forum to promote but disguise their posts by "what's it worth?" or "ever seen one of these?" questions even though they've been buying and selling for years and know full well what they have.
Hey, I'm often guilty of posting "Here's one you don't see too often" type topics. Obviously, I sell drums but I do enjoy sharing photos of them, too. That's a large part of the enjoyment. I don't do it to promote them here, as I have a web site for that. Personally, I enjoyed seeing the photos of the stacks of rarities that RB found. I don't understand the negativity.

I agree with Mr. Cooper, I think it's great that Kevin dug out this pocket of rarities and shared here with us! I've met Kevin in the past and he gave me an insane deal on the items I was looking for. Very nice guy and a great seller. Jealousy is the only reason I can see why people would be bad mouthing him over this..

+1. Some of you guys need to stop being so self righteous and petty. Get a life

If I had a life, I wouldn't be so entertained by this thread.

relayer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JDA said:
We'd all be witness

Stephen
And let's just follow this through... He'd know it's you that won it (hypothetically) how?
Well I'll tell ya what. I'm going to allow you to bid on it right now forward. I don't know Kevin but I guarrantee he.. Is it a USA address it would be sent to? Bid.

oh wait a second. Can we get your feedback rating first Just a precaution
;)

Do you ever post without editing? You do the same thing at Cymbalholic. It doesn't really get any better or become any more lucid with revision. You're a 'poker' and I'm not in the mood to be poked.

See ya.

Stephen

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
edit means I'm thinking..something thru
No I don't type without editing because..someone is always...going ..to quote me.
Plus it's one of the available features of net typing.
Like periods and comma's.
Plus it's not being read (or heard) that moment, as a telephone call would be.
It could be read tomorrow tonight or next week. Or next year.
It's why pencils have erasers
Bid Stephen

What this site could use is Delete Post function.
Make's it messy without
And cat fights go on forever
like other threads (not here)

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rich K. said:
Great drums, great score.

Having said that, in my opinion, constantly self promoting sales in the vintage section is disrespectful. RB is the main culprit, but there are others who could care less because there is more traffic here in this section. If everyone decided to follow his lead this place would truly suck.

Paul
1. The expression is "couldn't care less," not "could care less."
(Sorry for the OT, but that's a pet peeve of mine.)

2. I think roundbadge's posts here are cool because he's upfront about what he does. What bothers me much more are those experienced dealers who come on this forum to promote but disguise their posts by "what's it worth?" or "ever seen one of these?" questions even though they've been buying and selling for years and know full well what they have.
Hey, I'm often guilty of posting "Here's one you don't see too often" type topics. Obviously, I sell drums but I do enjoy sharing photos of them, too. That's a large part of the enjoyment. I don't do it to promote them here, as I have a web site for that. Personally, I enjoyed seeing the photos of the stacks of rarities that RB found. I don't understand the negativity.
I agree with Mr. Cooper, I think it's great that Kevin dug out this pocket of rarities and shared here with us! I've met Kevin in the past and he gave me an insane deal on the items I was looking for. Very nice guy and a great seller. Jealousy is the only reason I can see why people would be bad mouthing him over this..
+1. Some of you guys need to stop being so self righteous and petty. Get a life

If I had a life, I wouldn't be so entertained by this thread.

Hahaha. Touché

AJMcHardy

Reaction score
I'm not offended that you flip drums.
I'm not offended by "liberal drum nerd".

I just think all these drums are being looked at at face value.
Some people actually care what they are beyond that, and it doesn't appear that you do.
Hey Dex, I'm not trying to buy into this argument on one side or the other but I'm curious about what you mean by this statement.
What is there to these drums beyond their face value? Is it the heritage value or because they belonged to a name player?
Once again I'm not trying to be a d##k, just interested, Thanks Andrew.

Mouse

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where did you find the cash to pay for that? If you find a Kent drum i'll take it, that's a joke! Nice collection, I think you should keep the Gladstone snares, they will only grow in value. I had a Gladstone strainer and didn't know it, I sold it on eBay for $50.00. I can kick myself in the you know what, don't sell the Gladstone snares.

Mouse

Latest posts