MUST SEE!! i just bought the most AMAZING collection ever!! L@@K!

SlingJack

Reaction score
Those drums are gorgeous works of art as well as history. I'm glad they are being recirculated. I hope RB makes a fortune and those drums get new homes where they will be appreciated.

carter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Much respect to Kevin for acquiring the incredible collection and getting it into the hands of others who will appreciate them.
I think many reading this thread may feel the same way, but they are still picking their jaws off the floor after seeing the amazing haul.

We've all really needed a drum to complete a kit, or a part, or something new to ignite creativity and our passion for drums, music and history.
It's hard enough to make a living in this world, and I have nothing but admiration for someone who can earn it doing something they love.
If you don't agree, don't buy.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
tidbit of Ludwig history as far as barrett deems is concerned...the barrett deems snare drum kinda morped into the jazz festival at the turn of the 50's into the 60's.

mike

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
interesting! had no idea, i thought it was just the WFL with the classic strainer morphed into the JF.

VintageDrummer

DFO Master
Reaction score
i had a 20" 60's A bop ride that was owned by barret deems. fastest cymbal i ever played. should have kept it but i went on the magic K train instead and needed the $$

roundbadgedude what are those cymbals in the picture?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
roundbadgedude said:
interesting! had no idea, i thought it was just the WFL with the classic strainer morphed into the JF.
nope, that was the buddy rich super classic. Ludwig kept it in the lineup and just dropped buddy's name.

mike

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
wow Mike, it seems the Barrett signature was a legit WFL Jazz Fest! didnt know that, thanks for sharing.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
My 59 Barrett Deems transition badge apparently shows up in another catalog named "Jazz Festival". I discovered this last year thanks to Mike.

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Way to go, roundbadgedude! Pay no attention to the haters, you did the legwork, you paid the money, you had the knowledge to get the deal, you are getting the rescued drums into the right hands, and whatever you make, you damn well earned it. My only complaint is that we still don't have the full story of this score. We wanna hear all the juicy details!

I do the same thing on a much smaller scale, but I too have driven for hours on the smallest chance, taken years to accumulate the knowledge, and rescued and restored many, many drums that are now being played and appreciated by new owners. I have once even been locked in a warehouse overnight by a crazy owner who would only trust me to look at his buried stuff in that way. We all love the drums and we all live for scores like this. And it just really, really annoys me when somebody takes issue with me - or some other honest re-seller - profiting from our love of drums. If it wasn't for those of us who locate these drums and bring them to the market, those haters would just have to do their own legwork.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
dexplosion said:
I just think all these drums are being looked at at face value.
Some people actually care what they are beyond that, and it doesn't appear that you do.
I think maybe you're personalizing this whole thing a bit.

Here's the sad fact: the collection of crap we all highly value - either because of our obsessive research, hard won conquests, or elbow grease, are just things to almost everyone else. After we die, we'd be lucky anyone ever appreciates any of it and doesn't throw it out or overlook it.

One way or another these items went to appreciative homes. Is there some value to "keeping it together" for context or history? Maybe, but then that's Roundbadgedude's prerogative. But I prefer to think of it like this: a little bit of Barrett Deems was shared with a lot of appreciative people. That's how I'll want my stuff dispersed.

Kevin, nice work. Thanks for sharing the backstory. I'm just pissed that I didn't bid on anything!

Ashes to ashes....

drumtek

Reaction score
Congratulations Kevin and thanks for sharing such amazing pieces. Of all the work you put in to this I give you the most credit for having the strength to let them go. I hope you are able to keep a few choice pieces yourself for your efforts!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I see another seller on ebay this morning,selling more of barrett deems collection. was there more that you didn't get kevin?

mike

roundbadgedude

DFO Master
Reaction score
mlayton said:
I see another seller on ebay this morning,selling more of barrett deems collection. was there more that you didn't get kevin?

mike
there was another person there who picked up about 5 pieces.
i spoke with him and congratulated him on getting the pieces.
he had no idea what they were. he was 'an ebay / flea market guy'. he knew nothing about drums. knew nothing of Barrett. knew nothing of ludwig, etc. he picked up barrett's WMP kit for under a 5th of what he has it up for on ebay right now, as well as some leedy drums he listed for double what they are worth. definitely an uneducated seller, but knew there was value in some of the pieces there, as most would if they had a working brain in their heads.

now, for everyone with a bug up their ass about what I do, even though i am legitimate in this industry, why dont you msg him and bust his chops, as he doesnt care or know what he has, what its worth, etc.

Gary

DFO Master
Reaction score
roundbadgedude said:

mike
there was another person there who picked up about 5 pieces.
i spoke with him and congratulated him on getting the pieces.
he had no idea what they were. he was 'an ebay / flea market guy'. he knew nothing about drums. knew nothing of Barrett. knew nothing of ludwig, etc. he picked up barrett's WMP kit for under a 5th of what he has it up for on ebay right now, as well as some leedy drums he listed for double what they are worth. definitely an uneducated seller, but knew there was value in some of the pieces there, as most would if they had a working brain in their heads.

now, for everyone with a bug up their ass about what I do, even though i am legitimate in this industry, why dont you msg him and bust his chops, as he doesnt care or know what he has, what its worth, etc.
So if I offered the guy selling the wmp kit 2k and he accepted, he'd be making a quick 1k. Hmmmm. Thanks.

Are you posting anything else for sale?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
mlayton said:
also from the '57 wfl catalog..

mike
Thanks for that Mike. As I get older I am starting to forget some of the things I knew when I started collecting and I was under the assumption that Barret Deems only had the porta pak 5.5x13 as his model snare drum. Once again I stand corrected...