Muting rivets?

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Hey guys.

If you have a cymbal with rivets, do you have any tricks for muting them for certain songs or gigs without removing them?

Maybe throw a piece of painter's tape over the rivet or put a rubber O ring under the head of the rivet?

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Instead I’d recommend a “sizzler” device or ball chain instead of rivets.
I have chains and have a newer generic Camco sizzler so have been using those. They are pretty handy for sure.

I just got an Istanbul Mehmet Nostalgia 50s 22" Sizzler ride. It has 2 rivets. Sounds great but I'm not going to want the sizzle for all songs. Putting a piece of tape over the rivets will be easy, just curious as to what others may do.

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just tried the tape thing with my Zildjian 22" Dry Complex ride that has one rivet. Tape doesn't kill the rivet completely, it still sizzles somewhat.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
I'll give it a try and report back.
I tried a small piece of tape over each of the 2 rivets. It got rid of most of the sizzle but not all of it as you found. I was surprised to see how much that small amount of tape deadened the sound of my particular cymbal. Maybe the larger effect on the sound is due to how thin the cymbal is? It is a 22" that weighs 2241 grams.

I ended up removing the rivets as it wasn't working for the music my band is playing right now.

Latest posts