My 14" floor tom resonates forever.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I usually just throw some Aquarian Studio Rings on the toms if I need shorter sustain. The floor tom upside down leg trick works as well.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
As mentioned, a handful of cotton balls inside the shell has worked for me on both 14 and 16" shells.

Another trick to calm excessive boinginess or increase fatness in FTs is using a hydraulic resonant head or a dotted Amb or Emp as reso.

Tracktuary

Reaction score
Add mass. Hang your stick bag from the floor tom and/or lean your cymbal case against it. It's a cheap option to try before buying different heads and accessories.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I recently got a DW Performance kit with a 14" floor tom.
I know the companies all strive for max resonance, but this thing resonates for an extremely long time.
I'm currently using an Evans UV2 2-ply batter head, and an Evans EC reso head.
I tune the batter just above wrinkles and the resonant head quite a bit tighter.
I tried some gels on the batter, and discovered that a lot of the sustain is actually from the bottom head.
I tried 2 gels on the reso head, and it still rings a lot.
I guess next step is some duct tape on the reso.
But wow, I never had to go this extreme.

I want to stay with the 2-ply coated batter head.
Should I try a thicker reso head, like 12 or 14 mil to reduce sustain ??
Replace the EC Reso with a Soundoff.
That'll kill the sustain.

Elvis

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
My practice kit is in a tiny room and the toms are just insanely resonant in there. So with my 16” floor tom I took a long piece of foam about an inch high and just laid it on top of the reso head all the way around the perimeter inside the shell. It’s probably too dead now but it worked for what I needed it for. Maybe with a small piece of foam it could help balance out exactly how much resonance you want.

flurbs

Reaction score
I recently got a DW Performance kit with a 14" floor tom.
I know the companies all strive for max resonance, but this thing resonates for an extremely long time...
Sustain not resonance. Resonance is the quantity, sustain is the duration. Anyway, great advice already on here. Just want to add:

- Congratulations, you have an excellently made 14" floor tom!
- If it is massively more ringy than the other toms with the same head combination, then it's highly likely it's just the specific acoustics of the room that's causing the impression. Even moving it in the room could make a difference. If you need to damp the crap out of it and it still sounds great, then there's no problem so gel/tape/foam/cottonball away.

Should I try a thicker reso head, like 12 or 14 mil to reduce sustain ??
No, at least not single ply. A 12mil single ply head under the same tension as an otherwise identical 10mil head will have a lower pitch and sustain longer. If you want to go thicker, go 2-ply, the plies will partially damp each other. This is a great trick on pretty much all floor toms, but it tends to choke rack toms a bit too much (for my tastes anyway). Try another Coated G2 - if you don't likt it, then you'll still be able to use the head as your next batter. Conversely, a THINNER reso head will reduce sustain (that's a Remo Diplomat or Evans Reso in most peoples books). Good luck!

Last edited:

mpungercar

Reaction score
The floor tom leg does work...some. Also hanging a stick bag on the floor tom will do a bit as well. The best option is to adjust the tuning. Specifically, the relationship between the top and bottom heads.

ncdrumr

Reaction score
+1 for the cotton balls. I also have a DW Perf. 14" FT with 3 cotton balls inside, and it does the trick.

Side note: Is there something about that size? I had a Tama Superstar FT of the same size (the ones made this millennium, not the vintage ones). Even with six lugs and DC hoops, it sustained like crazy. My 16" DW Perf. FT sounds great, but it doesn't sustain nearly as much as the 14".

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice problem to have though right! As they say, it's always easier to take resonance out then try to find it in a dead drum! I love 14" floors for this very reason, something about that size just sings to my ear as well.

If a gel on the reso side did not dampen it enough then I doubt duct tape will either, as they are both operating on the same principle as mechanical riders on the head head surface. For myself, I would loosen one lug to mute the fundamental tone a bit and slow the resonance. Not to the point of extremes of course, but de-tuning a single lug (and it's partner on the opposite side if still necessary) does the trick for me usually. I'm sure others will have more detailed and better suggestions but that's my offering.

Let us know what you do to get the final sound you are after and good luck,

Ward
I concur
I have multiple DW kits and have this same thing on a couple of them. My Performance kit is the worst offender though. Loosen a lug like stated above and if that doesn’t get you there start loosening others 1 at a time and it will subside.

Iristone

Reaction score
This is where I get confused. My thought is that a looser tensioning on the reso would decrease sustain. However, the Tune-Bot info indicates that a larger "difference" in the pitch of the batter and resonant heads with reduce sustain. Since my batter is loose, I assumed I should tighten the reso to get a larger difference. But imo, any head that is tight would ring more.
Too tight a reso head can stifle the shell resonance but keep the batter head ringing forever on itself. My 13" rack tom used to be like this as well, figured it out now. :wink:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I've seen that one too, but that wasn't the one I was thinking of. That would work though and probably easier than the one I saw. The one I saw had a few (maybe three?) spots that bent like a cymbal tilter and each locked with a drum key. Maybe it was a kickstarter project I saw. Someone here might remember seeing it too. I think that's where I saw it initially.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've seen that one too, but that wasn't the one I was thinking of. That would work though and probably easier than the one I saw. The one I saw had a few (maybe three?) spots that bent like a cymbal tilter and each locked with a drum key. Maybe it was a kickstarter project I saw. Someone here might remember seeing it too. I think that's where I saw it initially.
I thought that one I mentioned earlier might be preferred to stay in the DW family...
The one you're describing is made by Mapex, Design Lab. Looks like they've added on to it with a new foot design as well.

EDIT: Here's a pic...

Mapex Leg.JPG

Last edited:

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
You say you have the resonant side tighter. Reach under the drum and pick a key near you...swing the key up and down slowly to find out where the drum resonates the most and swing it back down until it goes a little flat (less sustain). You could then flip the drum over and find a note that simply resonates less. I have done this in the studio many times with the cans on, because the mics become the ears at that point.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having that resonant head unevenly tuned, Try keeping the top head in tune with itself....or, bring the whole drum up to another area to take some of the boom out. Napkins or tissues with masking tape can alter all of this also...on both heads. I rarely use an open drum on anything.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I thought that one I mentioned earlier might be preferred to stay in the DW family...
The one you're describing is made by Mapex, Design Lab. Looks like they've added on to it with a new foot design as well.

EDIT: Here's a pic...

View attachment 427318
That's it! Like I said earlier, the DW one you initially posted would be better but this is also a great option for those who don't care about brand names. It's an interesting concept at minimum.

LBCD

Reaction score
Back in the late 80’s I was recording with my band at Brett Gurewitz’s studio in Venice Beach SoCal. My floor Tom was way too boomy and he had an idea. He made me go buy a box of Maxi Pads and he cut one up and stuck it on the reso head...it did the trick ;) Brett went on to better and greater things as he was a little out there! Look him up.

Latest posts