My 14" floor tom resonates forever.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was getting too much sympathetic resonance from my old Yamaha 14” floor tom every time I struck the bass drum. Switched from a clear Amb to a clear Emp and that did the trick for me.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've learned a LOT of great stuff from DFO in all the years I've been hanging around, but honestly, some lousy advice (in my opinion) is to tune your kit so it may not sound so great from the throne but "out front it will sound great". Sorry but it HAS to sound good to me FIRST, and from all the feedback I can get, my kits always sound good "out front"

kallen49

Reaction score
a 14” floor Tom that resonates forever is exactly what I want playing in small venues like bars where space is limited but the drums can be lost in the mix...my Yamaha Stage custom birch sounds great with coated emp. top/ clear ambassador bottom...
Gavin Harrison comments on 14” floor Tom “over-ring” in link attached

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently got a DW Performance kit with a 14" floor tom.
I know the companies all strive for max resonance, but this thing resonates for an extremely long time.
I definitely strive for max resonance. I'm a big fan of the clear, open, sustaining toms. I would love to have your problem.

I bought those special Pearl floor tom rubber isolation suspension feet things to make it resonate even more. I've also retrofitted older kits with RIMS mounts/cradles.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
"Turn it upside down" then play it
"try tuning it from that end"
LOL! When I first setup the Sonor's I flipped the f.tom over.
Of course my reasons were for those of Drum Etiquette….I mean, NO ONE puts the coated head on the bottom!
It was madness, complete madness...

Sonor_ForceCustom_Bebop10.JPG

...of course these days, The drums sit "proper" if not backwards, but that's a personal problem ( :D )...

Zildjian_K_20LightFlatRide2.JPG

Elvis

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Nigel Tufnel : The sustain, listen to it.

Marty DiBergi : I don't hear anything.

Nigel Tufnel : Well you would though, if it were playing.

CcjOeP-VAAAaOTF.jpg