My 1960 vintage be bop kit

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I like the pink kit, it’s very summery and festive , not to say I don’t like the classic look of the G’s. Nice to have at least a couple flavors

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
So are 18" vintage Round Badge bass drums difficult to press on Remo heads or is it Ok?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Easy peasy...at least on mine

Remo heads top and bottom on everthing

Im guessing its the 1950s gretsch that could be an issue?
Thats a guess

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
From what I've found 60s 6 ply 20" bass drums are the bugger/ 60s, 14s (snare or floor tom) , 12s, 16s, are fine. (all the vintage 6 ply RB sizes (I have) in my experience)
And the Issue with 20" bass drums (vintage RB 6 ply factory wrapped) may just be where the pearl, laps over causing that hump/bump....

ThomasL

Reaction score
And the Issue with 20" bass drums (vintage RB 6 ply factory wrapped) may just be where the pearl, laps over causing that hump/bump....
It cannot be just the overlap seams, because I have to use a hammer all the way around to get the heads off ;-)

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
It cannot be just the overlap seams, because I have to use a hammer all the way around to get the heads off
I know. I had a Satin Flame RB NY set don't recall the 20" heads -on those- being tight. The Red Wine pearl 20" heads? Forget it.
Actually still tunes up and down (right?) even if hoops don't touch (!!!) head collar..
Solved it by getting new SqB NC gretsch wood finish No Pearl.

Attachments

Last edited:

ThomasL

Reaction score
I know. I had a Satin Flame RB NY set don't recall the 20" heads -on those- being tight. The Red Wine pearl 20" heads? Forget it.
Actually still tunes up and down (right?) even if hoops don't touch head collar..
Solved it by getting new SqB NC gretsch wood finish No Pearl.
Parhaps the satin flame wrap is thinner? Mine is champagne sparkle, pretty thick stuff. Anyway, the drum sounds awesome once the heads are seated.

Reactions: JDA

Tracktuary

Reaction score
They sound nice, Tom. Coated A on the reso, as well? The bass drum sounds muffled.

Latest posts