My 2nd attempt at being a Paiste head

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ok hear me out on this...

Around 2004-05, I walked into a shop and got hooked on Paiste Dark Energies. I had always played Zildjian and Sabian before that. But that only lasted a few years and eventually I was back to Zildjian and Sabian.

Fast forward to this fall. I'm recording a lot, say... a, at least a session a month for 4-5 months. Pop, rock, blues, country. ( I'm a full time player but hardly a name guy ) And I'm not happy with my cymbal sound. They don't blend, they don't translate well as far as pitch and contrast. ( and other reasons) and start looking for bigger thinner crashes. But I'm unfortunately in a location where I cannot try many things,there's not much selection. and 2, I absolutely despise paying the high cost of new cymbals. So.. I try a friend's reissue 602's, a 18 and 20 crash, and I compare them to my Zildjians and surprise, my ear REALLY likes the 602's.

So, even tho I'm moving ( to Austin soon) and trying to clean house, I go on a quest to start acquiring some 602's and some Masters stuff. Some of you have been the beneficiary of this.

A long set up to say this....

No matter what Paiste I buy, in whatever series; they always blend well together. The pitches are a good match, the decay is a good match, the feel from one to the other is a good match. ( the video of Vinnie playing with a full set of Big Beats didn't hurt) The Zildjians and Sabians was always a crap shoot... does this one go with this ? the pitch of that 18 is too close to the 19. I can't find a thin 20 crash. Just a ton of trial and error to find a good blended set. If I could go to a store, buy 6 new Zildjians cymbals from an amazing selection it would be ok. But I can't. Endorsers can. But I can't.

I still love the feel of Zildjian, I don't know if I can get with the PAiste hats just yet. But the SOUND of the Paistes, musically, with the band ? I might just keep on playing them this time.. We'll see..

thanks for reading

R

RickP

I have a set of reissue 602s and Masters and both are excellent . I lean slightly towards the 602 over the Masters as I like the quicker response of the 602s . Both lines are excellent - the Masters have some Turkish trashy qualities .

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I could drop cash on any series in the line, I would definitely go for the re-issue 602 and the modern 602. To my ear, those are the regular "K"'s( my favorite Z line )of the Paiste line. But unlike K's, they have that Paiste magic that microphones just love.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I could drop cash on any series in the line, I would definitely go for the re-issue 602 and the modern 602. To my ear, those are the regular "K"'s( my favorite Z line )of the Paiste line. But unlike K's, they have that Paiste magic that microphones just love.
Exactly. They’ve got some other thing going on

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been playing Paiste exclusively since 1985. I have one set of almost every line but Rudes. I think one Paiste’s greatest strengths is their consistency allows the blending to happen naturally within every line.

I find having all of the lines I do have gives quite a range. It’s fun too seeing what cymbals mix with each other. I find when mixing it’s simply taste and not the limitations of the cymbals that determines if I’m going to use certain combinations or not.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of combinations I’m playing lately:

22” Dark Energy Mark I ride
18” and 19” 602 Modern Essential crashes
16” 2002 Black Label Big Beat hats

A3C46798-6D6E-491D-9F6D-936579AE9C24.jpeg

And.....

22” Twenty Series ride
18” and 19” Dark Energy crashes
17” hats created by a medium thin Traditional crash top and Dark Energy crash bottom

71386BDA-EBBC-4A47-B194-4E1674C4983A.jpeg

96D9751F-AA83-4D9F-A196-39ECF044CCF1.jpeg

Jorn

Reaction score
Here are a couple of combinations I’m playing lately:

22” Dark Energy Mark I ride
18” and 19” 602 Modern Essential crashes
16” 2002 Black Label Big Beat hats

View attachment 382049

And.....

22” Twenty Series ride
18” and 19” Dark Energy crashes
17” hats created by a medium thin Traditional crash top and Dark Energy crash bottom

View attachment 382052

View attachment 382051
How do you find those 16” black label hats?
I got mine up right now and are surprised how quiet they are.
Might also work well for recording.

jakeo

Reaction score
I'm trying to sell some things cause I'm jonseing for the thin Masters box set.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Easily the best set of hats I’ve ever owned. The are extremely versatile. Outside of straight ahead jazz, I use them everywhere.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tried a friend’s 15’s and I thought they were a little “ wispy”. Not as much body as I expected from that size. So I know what you mean

blownaway

Reaction score
I was stating from scratch and wasn't focused on cost (although it was way too much $), auditioned just about all lines except for standard new 602's and after 8 months of trial and error. Ended up with a complete 602 ME setup.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tried a friend’s 15’s and I thought they were a little “ wispy”. Not as much body as I expected from that size. So I know what you mean
The few pairs of Big Beats I’ve played have all been too light. The tops are probably ok as they are but I feel they’d pair better with a heavier bottom. They’re unusable to me in their current configuration.

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I read in an interview or a product review years ago that it was a good idea to buy your Paiste's at least 1" bigger than what you were normally used to if you were coming from Zildijan or Sabian. Something about the bigger size evening-out volume and sustain discrepancies between "cast" style cymbals and Paiste's method. What say you?

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I go back and forth with Paiste, but the bells are what pushes me away: shrill, cold, high pitched. Just my experience. I truly want to find a ride that has a bell that works for me because Paiste has a magical quality otherwise.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I read in an interview or a product review years ago that it was a good idea to buy your Paiste's at least 1" bigger than what you were normally used to if you were coming from Zildijan or Sabian. Something about the bigger size evening-out volume and sustain discrepancies between "cast" style cymbals and Paiste's method. What say you?
I agree 110%. I think that the shimmer and sonic properties of most Paiste cymbals lends itself to sounding best with larger sizes.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I go back and forth with Paiste, but the bells are what pushes me away: shrill, cold, high pitched. Just my experience. I truly want to find a ride that has a bell that works for me because Paiste has a magical quality otherwise.
The bells on the Modern Essentials and Dark Energy cymbals may be what you are seeking. Also, the Masters line if you want to go darker.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had Masters rides, still too piercing. Love the 22" Dark Ride, but the bell made me sell. I think I will be getting a 22" ME in due time and a pair of matching 15" hats (one of my few selling regrets).

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree 110%. I think that the shimmer and sonic properties of most Paiste cymbals lends itself to sounding best with larger sizes.
You'll get no argument from me! The 20" Novo China is my favorite cymbal on the face of the earth.

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've had Masters rides, still too piercing. Love the 22" Dark Ride, but the bell made me sell. I think I will be getting a 22" ME in due time and a pair of matching 15" hats (one of my few selling regrets).
Maybe give the 602/602 reissue a whirl? I just don't think there's anything in the Paiste line that's going to give you that "K Custom"-type thing with the bell, but I may be wrong. Speaking of which, I bought a K Custom 20" ride when they first came out. Great ping and bell, but you couldn't get that thing to wash with a Maytag if you tried.