header.nohb.html

My Acoustic Guitars

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
Tuckahoe Bridge Studio, Manakin Sabot, VA
Just got these babies out of storage and tuned up. I have some sessions lined up with a few acoustic artists. We are getting the new studio up and running. Things are coming together here in Richmond Virginia.

2BA9335D-F75E-45D6-AB77-12C3618F13BA.jpeg

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Nice… I can’t tell from the photo what they are, but I like the book-match top of the 2nd from the left.

Plaid Sabbath

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great looking collection. That HD-28 is pretty much my bucket list acoustic. Play ‘em all.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Great looking collection. That HD-28 is pretty much my bucket list acoustic. Play ‘em all.
Funny enough, I used to think the same thing. Over the last few years I’ve bought and sold a D-28 Modern Deluxe, an HD-28, an HD-28V, and at least one more similar model I can’t think of right now. I ended up buying two Taylor rosewood guitars that I really like — hadn’t fallen in love with a Taylor in several years.

I also have a small bodied Gibson Walnut, a Martin D-15 all mahogany, a Recording King slope shoulder dread (excellent guitar I got for cheap), and an Eastman OM cedar/mahogany.

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
Tuckahoe Bridge Studio, Manakin Sabot, VA
Funny enough, I used to think the same thing. Over the last few years I’ve bought and sold a D-28 Modern Deluxe, an HD-28, an HD-28V, and at least one more similar model I can’t think of right now. I ended up buying two Taylor rosewood guitars that I really like — hadn’t fallen in love with a Taylor in several years.

I also have a small bodied Gibson Walnut, a Martin D-15 all mahogany, a Recording King slope shoulder dread (excellent guitar I got for cheap), and an Eastman OM cedar/mahogany.
I have always wanted a Martin D-15. Never have been able to find one at the right time. Also, the neck on my Taylor 214ce plays like butter (much easier to play than my Martin).

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I have always wanted a Martin D-15. Never have been able to find one at the right time. Also, the neck on my Taylor 214ce plays like butter (much easier to play than my Martin).
I got mine used from Guitar Center several years ago, they don't seem to hold resale value as well as the smaller body 15 series guitars. I still see good deals on them on Facebook Marketplace and other places sometimes. I'm not surprised that you prefer the Taylor neck, I did for years as well. But the D-15 neck is nice; I believe they call it the Modified Low Oval profile and these days that's the Martin neck I look for if I am considering one of their guitars. It's a trade off -- that thinner neck and bolt on construction of the Taylor creates a much thinner sound overall than the glued dovetail joint and body construction of the Martin.

Plaid Sabbath

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll have to check out a few Taylors next time I hit the shops. Kind of intrigued with the 214.

Still having flashbacks to the last time I went to Chicago Music Exchange. They had a few of the newer Yamaha Red Labels from Japan. Oh man…so good. Terrific guitars for flat picking and rhythm work.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll have to check out a few Taylors next time I hit the shops. Kind of intrigued with the 214.
Late to the response here, sorry.

Taylor makes a great guitar, but the 214 is among the brightest models, way too trebly for me. The koa version looks beautiful and I think that’s why they sell so many, but the back and sides are layered rather than solid and the guitar just lacks any good low end IMO.

You would do yourself a huge favor to go up to the 314 or 324.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because of my physical injuries I got a classical guitar and acoustic guitar to learn just in case I can't play my drums anymore.
And a Les Paul classic and a Telecaster.
I'm definitely not a guitarist yet.
I've been a drummer almost 50 years and I'm afraid that is coming to an end.
That's why I got the guitars.