My band is doing a Styx tribute, and I get to play one of Todd’s kits??!!

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My classic rock band Anthem has an alter ego that we started in 2019 where we do a 2 hour + show of all Styx material and we bill ourselves as Anthem’s Grand Illusion. Over the last few years I’ve gotten to be really good friends with Mike Gallus, a local drummer who plays in one of the areas biggest & best classic rock cover bands (Arra) who is also one of the owners of Mike’s Drum Shop in Villa Park, Illinois. He and Todd Sucherman were high school buddies, and Mike bought Todd’s Sonor Designer kit that he ordered and used on his first tour with Styx in 1996. This was the tour that was recorded for the Return To Paradise live album & video. Mike was kind enough to lend me this kit for our upcoming show next week! I’m still in a little bit of shock at 1) Mike’s generosity and 2) the idea of playing the exact kit that launched Todd’s career with Styx!

I’m in the process of getting it dialed in for me, but here’s a few pics of the drums set up in my studio. Interesting fact: Todd never used the matching snare that he ordered with the kit on the tour. Instead he opted for a wood hoop Ayotte piccolo, which I think he might still have.
9661CE75-C28E-46EB-9B05-BA9700625E64.jpeg
4E1998D1-2ABF-40D6-A262-5390392ED24B.jpeg
D1CCAF7B-8935-4C8F-A515-1F5DD2784C4B.jpeg

Last edited:

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!

Here’s the thing: I’ve never forgiven Styx for Mr. Roboto, but I wore out my copy of The Grand Illusion....

(My apologies for the micro-rant on your thread, mgdrummer.)

This is a wonderful bit of synchronicity and a fantastic opportunity. Amazing kit and the absolute best way to get to do a tribute, which is always an act of passion. Best of luck on the show!
Savor.

spelman

Reaction score
Great kit, congrats!

That is one of the earlier Designer kits, with REAL bubinga veneer (not Alpi). Mr. Sucherman never really got along with that kit , that's why he sold it. (He used his Signature SE on the following Styx tour).

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great kit, congrats!

That is one of the earlier Designer kits, with REAL bubinga veneer (not Alpi). Mr. Sucherman never really got along with that kit , that's why he sold it. (He used his Signature SE on the following Styx tour).
Love your avitar!

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great kit, congrats!

Yep, leftover bubinga veneer from the Signature era. I could see why he'd possibly prefer the Signatures, some of the features on this kit are way over engineered and much of the plastic/rubber parts won't have the lifespan that the older stuff has. There were other reasons he sold the kit, according to our mutual friend who bought them from Todd.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats freakin' cool, have a blast and enjoy every second on the kit live! Post us the live pics as well!!

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
My classic rock band Anthem has an alter ego that we started in 2019 where we do a 2 hour + show of all Styx material and we bill ourselves as Anthem’s Grand Illusion. Over the last few years I’ve gotten to be really good friends with Mike Gallus, a local drummer who plays in one of the areas biggest & best classic rock cover bands (Arra) who is also one of the owners of Mike’s Drum Shop in Villa Park, Illinois. He and Todd Sucherman were high school buddies, and Mike bought Todd’s Sonor Designer kit that he ordered and used on his first tour with Styx in 1996. This was the tour that was recorded for the Return To Paradise live album & video. Mike was kind enough to lend me this kit for our upcoming show next week! I’m still in a little bit of shock at 1) Mike’s generosity and 2) the idea of playing the exact kit that launched Todd’s career with Styx!

I’m in the process of getting it dialed in for me, but here’s a few pics of the drums set up in my studio. Interesting fact: Todd never used the matching snare that he ordered with the kit on the tour. Instead he opted for a wood hoop Ayotte piccolo, which I think he might still have.
That is awesome!!!

audiochurch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is awesome! I would love to hear your band!

That tour is what got me into Todd. What a beast. I personally LOVE his drumming for Styx. Reminded me of Simon Phillips playing with the Who in 1989 for Tommy.

Congrats and play well!

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great kit, congrats!

That just speaks volumes about how consistent the Link Era design was compared to the Designers in real world heavy use