My Band Playing Live At My B-Day Weekend Gig; the NEW SHOCKWAVES. Shadows Song.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Although my birthday is today 4/21, we gigged on Friday...so it's a b-day weekend!

Disclaimer: (1) first gig with our new bassist Bill. He did a great job; (2) my first gig with my 'new' used TRICK drum set. 10x9 rack, 12x10 floor, 18x16 bass drum. I added my Ludwig 14x14 wood floor tom. The TRICK kit is made of 3mm aluminum. Only the bass drum is miked. Snare is my 5x14 Ludwig [10-lug!] Jazz Festival.

I'm not used to playing a drum kit this small. I have a 12-14-20 kit but usually play 13-16-22 and add a second floor tom. The TRICK kit sounded good and has a lot of potential.

Here's a video clip of the New Shockwaves doing our version of the Shadows "Wonderful Land". We are a surf band that throws in a bunch of psychedelia when necessary...
Rhythm guitarist Mitch is playing lead, lead guitarist Dogfish is playing rhythm.

Stretch
(64 today; can't wait for next year and Medicare!)

polycrescendo

Reaction score
Happy B Day weekend! I've always been curious about those Trick drums. Would you consider them warm sounding, or with the right head selection could they be almost woody sounding? They sound great in the video, I've just never heard aluminum toms in person.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buddy, that sounds really cool. I'm sitting here with the wife enjoying the tune. My comment ... "I would love to do a gig like that" ... no joke. Very very cool gig.

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Happy B Day weekend! I've always been curious about those Trick drums. Would you consider them warm sounding, or with the right head selection could they be almost woody sounding? They sound great in the video, I've just never heard aluminum toms in person.
Honestly, I don't have an answer yet. I only played for about 75 minutes on the kit, and will need to spend more time on it to know what it can do. I put 2-ply coated over 1-ply clear on the rack tom and 2-ply coated over 2-ply clear on the floor tom. Superkick1 and Regulator on kick. I was hoping the opening band's drummer would beat the heck out of the 3 drums, but he played rockabilly and mostly it was snare hihat crash. And he didn't hit the toms hard when he used them. So I don't know what the kit really sounds like out front. The video I posted does allow me some listening time.
As a player I was impressed with the bottom I got out of the 12" floor tom. To be fair, I did put legs on it so it sits on the ground. And thru the mike the bass drum sounded fine. I'm not a 10" rack kinda guy, so I found a 12x8 Trick drum in grey, but it didn't arrive in time for the gig. I'll likely replace the 10" with the 12" as the one rack tom I like to play.
I will eventually experiment with different clear and coated heads and their combinations.

Stretch

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buddy, that sounds really cool. I'm sitting here with the wife enjoying the tune. My comment ... "I would love to do a gig like that" ... no joke. Very very cool gig.
Thanks! I really like playing at this brewery in town. Luckily the owner/booker likes my band and I a lot so we usually play there 3-4 times a year.
Here's how I came to this gig...I've been drumming about 34 years now, and I've managed to stay on the planet for 64 years.
That's all it took!

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Happy birthday!
Miss my surf gig, The Dentures....
Been playing a 10/13/20 kit a bunch. The toms have been surprising. They’re ‘70’s Gretsch orphans. They’d look perfect on a surf band!!!
Btw, the Acro is the one I bought from you.5918D5A2-446D-4D9B-AD3A-BB5613CF9365.jpeg

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Happy birthday!
Miss my surf gig, The Dentures....
Been playing a 10/13/20 kit a bunch. The toms have been surprising. They’re ‘70’s Gretsch orphans. They’d look perfect on a surf band!!!
Btw, the Acro is the one I bought from you.View attachment 394358
Sweet! Yeah Crash, I need to borrow your kit for my next surf gig!!!
Stretch

P.S. Before I got kicked out, the last gig I did with the OTHER surf band I was in for four years was opening for the VENTURES at the Catalyst, which is one of our major clubs in Santa Cruz. I was told I had to play the Venture's drum kit. I ended up playing Leon's kit, which was a 7-piece DW kit that had a boatload of cymbals including a china. I played them all eventually during our set!

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
It was easy to do. It’s Indonesian batik cloth. Done decopauge style. Good, cheap way to match up some orphan drums! I’d likes 14” floor Tom. If I find one, I can match it easily! We go to Moss Landing a lot. I’ll have to check with you for gig notices when we’re up there. Here’s a pic from one of the times we opened for Dick Dale. That’s his drummer & son watching. 2F508131-7F97-494A-A79C-A5BD8FDC95C0.jpeg

Last edited:

bkny110

Reaction score
Happy 64th! I'm fast approaching that number, although my brain is far behind! All the best!!!

Latest posts