My big band playing Basie.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great band and cool chart, never heard that one before. Nice Basie swing and perfect dynamics. Bravo to you and your bandmates.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool, cool, cool! That's all I can say. Except that your drums sounded great and your playing was exemplary. I like very much!

GeeDeeEmm

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Amount other things, those closed hats sound really good in the mix. Classic Basie!

And I thought I was the only one playing the library circuit.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Off topic here, but what format is your video? It doesn't play on my Mac desktop, but I can play embedded youtube vids no problem....

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wonderful performance! Want to point out that this is an Ellington tune (not contradicting the thread title, I know this is the Basie band's arrangement - more or less the atomic era? - just adding for the knowledge hungry.)

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sounds great!

Your bandleader sort of reminds me of...

I noticed that the band leader directed with both arms. Basie led his band with one finger while sitting at the piano and I saw him do it a number of times. Our big band leader counts off the tempo and directs the ending. The rest of the time he's playing trombone.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Off topic here, but what format is your video? It doesn't play on my Mac desktop, but I can play embedded youtube vids no problem....
It came from an Android phone. I copied the link from a trumpet player's FB page.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wonderful performance! Want to point out that this is an Ellington tune (not contradicting the thread title, I know this is the Basie band's arrangement - more or less the atomic era? - just adding for the knowledge hungry.)
You're right. It's the Basie version of an Ellington tune.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
John, the leader, used to play bass trombone in the band, but has had some health issues the last few years that caused him to quit playing. He's led the band since November 2000. I joined in July 2001. When I joined the band as the designated sub drummer I had never played in a big band, and hadn't read a drum chart in 30 years. John gave me time to get my feet under me, for which I'll be forever grateful, and will never forget the first time he said after a gig, "You were really driving the band tonight." It's been an ongoing musical education.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
John, the leader, used to play bass trombone in the band, but has had some health issues the last few years that caused him to quit playing. He's led the band since November 2000. I joined in July 2001. When I joined the band as the designated sub drummer I had never played in a big band, and hadn't read a drum chart in 30 years. John gave me time to get my feet under me, for which I'll be forever grateful, and will never forget the first time he said after a gig, "You were really driving the band tonight." It's been an ongoing musical education.
Here's to those willing to give someone a shot.