My Burt Bacharach - Elvis Costello Back Stories

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
This is all great to read - thank you!

And it reminds me that I was listening to you on the Don Ellis "Live at Montreux" album when it came out while I was in college. I used to play "Niner Two" as a way to start the day - no need for coffee after that!
Geezus!!! The drums sound huuuuge on that one. And a killer performance to boot. My faves on that album are Eros and Acturas. Love that 70's cop show vibe...

tstinson

Reaction score
I haven't visited this site for a long while. (No excuses, at least not worthy). David, thank you for reminding me why this is such a great place. What a career! Next stop: Don Ellis YouTube.

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
DC, on that sessions at west 54th taping, you were right up in there, what sticks were you using? Love all this stuff and you're playing and vibe speaks for itself!

Cheers and blessings, Trey
Hey Trey - that up close to the piano positioning was the way it always was with Burt. 90% of the time, the bass drum was always right up next to the foot of the piano with me facing in - or down closer to him, where I could almost see the keys but not quite. Before being a song-writer, Burt was a top level piano player/conductor, and like so many of those guys've was hip to the fact if you're conducting a large ensemble and you wanting to tweak the tempo (as they so often need to do) - you don't have to wave your arms around to the whole orchestra, you can just make far smaller gesture to your drummer - as he makes the correction, the orchestra will just follow. So I've found lots of guys always want things set-up so their "bus driver" is right up next to them.

Sticks - pretty sure they would've been Zildjian Vinnie Colaiuta model - likely with the right stick wrapped with Torn tennis grip tape and the left stick played butt end out. (A habit learned from Burt's gig and it's constant back and forth between regular and crosstick playing. Having the top snare rim be die cast was a near essential thing as well - it was just so much crosstick playing.

And of course, thanks for the kind words.

And the same to everyone else as well!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Great stories, and I love the Bacharach/Costello record, so watching/listening to this was a treat for me. Thank you so much! I love the attention to detail, and the crossover nature of the gig.

I would love to play a gig like that. I once played a show with famous movie songs, with choir, soloists and band. Tried to match the recordings, studying the parts, using several snares, working closely with a conductor and pianist (two people in this case), rather soft volume (no plexiglass!), still getting a groove going.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Over lunch today I watched all 20 minutes of Don Ellis Orchestra- Niner-Two - Live from Montreaux 1977. Outstanding. Looking forward to watching the rest of the show.
This thread has been a joy to read and now some discovery. Thank you for sharing, David.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Over lunch today I watched all 20 minutes of Don Ellis Orchestra- Niner-Two - Live from Montreaux 1977. Outstanding. Looking forward to watching the rest of the show.
This thread has been a joy to read and now some discovery. Thank you for sharing, David.

I know, right? I must've listened through the whole Montreux album at least 3 times yesterday...

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wow !! Dave you should publish your bio . I'm among countless DFO ers who'd gladly park it on the shelf with ' keepers ' .

Did you ever do the Merv Griffin show ?

that triangle player ... whew , looks easy but I wouldn't want to have to count through that . Very effective .

K Z 's high hats were great .

thanks for the thread .

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
Love this thread David! Did you happen to use the Blaemires on any of those Bacharach shows?

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know, right? I must've listened through the whole Montreux album at least 3 times yesterday...
So with all of this Don Ellis Montreux love - I just can't resist making sure the Montreux fans have seen this clip.

In 2012, we were able to put together a Montreux band reunion concert. Of course there were many new faces - though about 9 folks from the '77 concert were able to a make it. This piece is one of the handful of charts that Don wrote about six months after Montreux. And as he passed away later that year, they never got recorded. I'm so glad we played this on this concert as I always really liked it and wanted more folks to be able to get a chance to hear it.

So this was in LA and is actually some of the same Blaemire toms from '77 (long since made double headed) along with a Blaemire BD.

Hope those that haven't heard this enjoy it.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
So with all of this Don Ellis Montreux love - I just can't resist making sure the Montreux fans have seen this clip.

In 2012, we were able to put together a Montreux band reunion concert. Of course there were many new faces - though about 9 folks from the '77 concert were able to a make it. This piece is one of the handful of charts that Don wrote about six months after Montreux. And as he passed away later that year, they never got recorded. I'm so glad we played this on this concert as I always really liked it and wanted more folks to be able to get a chance to hear it.

So this was in LA and is actually some of the same Blaemire toms from '77 (long since made double headed) along with a Blaemire BD.

Hope those that haven't heard this enjoy it.

Poor bass player seemed to have your china and right hand crash right in his face, and you were giving them a good spanking toward the end too. He most certainly heard ringing for a bit afterwards. ;-)

In all seriousness though, thank you again for your generosity in sharing your memories and music. It is truly inspiring to see that, even as a seasoned veteran, you're still passionate enough about your instrument, your craft and where it got you, to be exchanging with fellow enthusiasts on a forum. Hats off to you!

hsosdrum

Reaction score
...In 2012, we were able to put together a Montreux band reunion concert. Of course there were many new faces - though about 9 folks from the '77 concert were able to a make it. This piece is one of the handful of charts that Don wrote about six months after Montreux. And as he passed away later that year, they never got recorded. I'm so glad we played this on this concert as I always really liked it and wanted more folks to be able to get a chance to hear it...
Dave: Speaking of Don Ellis reunion band concerts, did you play at the Ellis band reunion gig that was at Charley O's nightclub in Van Nuys some time between 2008 and 2011? I attended that with my then father-in-law, Gary Foster. I know that Milcho Leviev and Brad Dutz were on the stand, but I forget who else.

Back in 1970 I was in Don's "B-level" rehearsal band for a few weeks. I'll never forget trying to play drums to "Bulgarian Bulge" with a bunch of horn players but no other rhythm section players. (I had to quit the band when my car was stolen and I couldn't make the rehearsals.)

Reactions: JDA