My Camco Oaklawn BD.....How many plies do you see?

kdgrissom

Reaction score
I have sanded the interior for re-painting because the interior was yellowed and stained from years of exposure to no resonance head in smoky clubs and bars. This is a player's drum that was nested, so these pics are from the batter side. The original owner said he purchased the kit in 1965 from a music store, but I suspect that the drum is from a number of years earlier. I don't trust my eyes, so here's how we play the game:

Your choices are:
1) 3 ply shell with 3 ply re-ring
2) 4 ply shell with 4 ply re-ring
3) 6 ply shell with 6 ply re-ring

I have included profiles of the bearing edge and the Re-ring for your general information and enjoyment.
Once I obtain a decent protractor I will be able to measure the bearing edge angles somewhat.

I think I see a 3 (thin) ply shell plus a three (fat) ply re-ring. Please let me know what you think.
Thank you all!

Bearing edge.jpg
Re-ring plys.jpg
Bearing edge profile.jpg
Re-ring profile.jpg

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's a tough call based on the photos. Have you looked at the shell through one of the drilled holes? Sometimes that is clearer since it will allow you to see the plies without having to take the re-rings into consideration.

kdgrissom

Reaction score
I will tackle that today. Thanks! My wife has a much better phone for pictures than I do (with magnification, too). I may need to wait until she has time tonight.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree, better pics will help. I believe a Camco reinforcement ring is often the exact ply configuration of a shell however your rering looks different in the current pics. Looking at the last pic, I’m confused. Is that a tom or BD? What are the 3 holes above/below the grommet? If a tom, I didn’t know an Oaklawn had a three hole tone control above a grommet. I have seen that on a Rogers shell. More pics please.

Last edited:

kdgrissom

Reaction score
I didn’t know an Oaklawn had a three hole tone control above a grommet however I have seen that on a Rogers shell.
Yeah, This is the BD. Those holes were for some kind of muffler that must have been added later, but for a BD, a rogers muffler would seem preposterous.

Last edited:

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmm. That's still a tough call from the photo, but I think I'm leaning towards 4-ply as well.

Have you been able to establish the plies for the two toms? That might provide further suggestion about the plies of the bass drum (while recognizing that it is possible that different ply shells were used on the kit, although I don't know that I can recall specific born-together Camco kits with different plies).

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Have you been able to establish the plies for the two toms? That might provide further suggestion about the plies of the bass drum (while recognizing that it is possible that different ply shells were used on the kit, although I don't know that I can recall specific born-together Camco kits with different plies).
I will be able to in a few weeks. My Wife teaches at a University in Georgia, so I brought this BD project up from Florida last March and I have been here most of that time.
I return to Florida to start work in late October. The other toms are already done. I was hoping for the rare 3-ply, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 4-ply.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
3+3....and 3 ply on that BD.
And how do they sound?

kdgrissom

Reaction score
OK! Here are the close-up pics of the BD spur hole that my lovely wife took for me this morning. No more pictures for me as I gotta get this thing painted and assembled. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing a 4-ply shell here. Bear in mind these are extreme close-ups and the shell is only 1/4" thick here. 4 plies would be about a 1/16" thick each (more or less). This close it looks like more plies, but I believe that is just the striations in the grain. Further back, 4 plies can be clearly seen (according to my wife)! Additionally, when taken with the 1st generation Camco lugs (flat base) and seven-sided or "cut-diamond" spur brackets, I'm pretty convinced this an early era Oaklawn shell (pre 6-ply).

image000000 (5).jpg
image000001 (2).jpg

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heh heh , methinks we have far too much time on our hands these days .... I'm leaning toward 4 myself , by the photos .

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
5, or 6..actually I think (Guess) 6
from the top(?) to the bottom Blue..
2nd Pic
1 fat, 2,3,4,5,6./
man thems some weird drums! (; ) ...

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The top pic appears shot from the inside and bottom from outside looking in. In each photo from out to in, I see 2 light wood plys, 1 dark, 1 light, and a thicker (or perhaps 2) ply(s). In summary, I see at least 5 plys.