My cymbal storage

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I had been using guitar stands for cymbal storage, but was quickly outgrowing them. So I snagged another Proline snare rack, which is currently on sale, but only installed the bottom 4 padded rungs. (I already have 2 of these racks for my snares and love them.) The 4 rungs keep it plenty sturdy. I may try to insert some dividers of some sort to take some of the weight off certain cymbals (which really isn't too bad), but overall I like how it turned out.

Now I just need to figure out how best to arrange them...by band, size, series, type?? I'm constantly swapping out cymbals for the 3 bands I'm in and for recording. Right now I have Zildjians on the left and Paistes on the right, loosely arranged by band. Just posting in case anyone else wants to take advantage of the sale.

CymbalRack_sm.jpg

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Seen alot of great ideas.....few of which would hold all my cymbals. Plan to build a cymbal cabinet. Will be 6ft tall, 2 front doors, wheels on bottom......just waiting for the price of lumber to return to reality again.

murraythehump

Reaction score
I used black pipe to make this storage…. okay, more of a cymbal display stand. I could see rotating this 90 degrees and expanding to accommodate cymbalholics.
5BA9C127-F332-4075-8A19-7C0290F1D1D4.jpeg
57A5E499-7C62-48C0-9054-865055287EB8.jpeg

Last edited:

Drumbumcrumb

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! Very cool of you to leave a link, it’s one of those things I needed but keep procrastinating to build or buy one. I grabbed one, the sale price made it easy to treat myself.

I’m the inventor of the trademarked $5 snare and cymbal stand, in case anyone wants a budget option. I think they’re pretty cool, but I’m biased of course. I’ve had some loaded with cymbals for years of use now, and they’re solid. Wood prices might push the $5 claim, but it’s “in the spirit of”!

peter

Reaction score
I use the SKB molded plastic hard-shell cases, laid FLAT. Despite what you see in stores, I think cymbals should not be stored standing up on their edge for extended periods. Or if you must, they should be rotated regularly.

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the SKB molded plastic hard-shell cases, laid FLAT. Despite what you see in stores, I think cymbals should not be stored standing up on their edge for extended periods. Or if you must, they should be rotated regularly.
Considering how this seems to be how Zildjian stores their cymbals, it seems like it’s fine to keep them stood up on edge? But what do I know!?

peter

Reaction score
Yeah, it probably doesn't make that much difference within the typical cymbal-player lifetime relationship. I'm just operating theoretically, that laying them flat puts the least amount of unnatural stress on the disc. But then I'm pretty particular. Never mind me, carry on...

Lennykenard

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it probably doesn't make that much difference within the typical cymbal-player lifetime relationship. I'm just operating theoretically, that laying them flat puts the least amount of unnatural stress on the disc. But then I'm pretty particular. Never mind me, carry on...
I get where you’re coming from! I have a little bit of desiccant in my bags for moisture, I do my best to make sure my cymbals don’t touch when stored, and I prefer to lay them flat when possible. I always get a little scared when I see them being stored vertically, with a rod, with all the weigh on the cymbal hole. (That sounds weird but I couldn’t think of another way to say it lol)