header.nohb.html

My D’Amicos with the drill less Ludwig Atlas rail system. UPDATE: I put the old ISO’s back on.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ll see how they play at next weeks gig. The goal was to not have to drill. UPDATE: The choking in unacceptable, so I removed the Atlas mounts on the Tom’s and put on the old ISO’s. Much better. Still don’t like the look of the old ISO’s but man, the choking is not acceptable. Rail is heavy but works great.

D49489EA-1B70-4C23-B0E4-00D898FD4E06.jpeg
FE410C53-EDCC-4D81-B161-246DE098CBC4.jpeg

8AFAF18C-F202-4D54-9926-2DD7F386773B.jpeg

8A0571A6-3D07-4B0D-85D9-8EEE8B6CBA79.jpeg

Last edited:

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
I found the Atlas rail a bit heavy but solid and kept it for my thicker bass drums that don't care what's up top. The Atlas mounts didn't do it for me, though. For that matter, neither did the INDe mounts, which seem to work for a lot of people. Both choked the toms (less with INDe) and they only sounded ok in limited tuning range.

Who knows? It might depend on the drum and drummer and what each of them needs for a good sound. I don't like the sound of toms that are held back from their true tone.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Well, I set them up and damn, the choking is pronounced! So, I put the old ISO's back on and boom, all the resonance I want or need. Still don't like the look of the old ISO's but it is what it is.

hefty

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you considered trying the Inde version of this? I haven't used the one that replaces a lug but have had good success with the one that uses existing holes from a previous mount (BR2). In my experience the BR2 was pretty dang close resonance-wise to using a RIMS mount and was miles ahead aesthetically.

p83

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a small city of hardware on top of that drum. it's heavy just looking at it. good luck on your tone-quest.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Have you considered trying the Inde version of this? I haven't used the one that replaces a lug but have had good success with the one that uses existing holes from a previous mount (BR2). In my experience the BR2 was pretty dang close resonance-wise to using a RIMS mount and was miles ahead aesthetically.
Yes, I’ve tried the BR2 and 3. Honestly, my drums bounce a lot with the BR3. I am using the BR3 on the floor Tom since it was a hanging FT (with an ISO). They work great at FT leg mounts without drilling.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks nice but surprising to hear about the choaking. I use ATLAS on both, my late 80's and new CM Ludwigs. I looked at how you have them mounted and that shouldn't have been a problem. Hum.....

Were you able to purchase the individual extra pieces or is that parts from two complete rail mounts?

sherm

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
That looks nice but surprising to hear about the choaking. I use ATLAS on both, my late 80's and new CM Ludwigs. I looked at how you have them mounted and that shouldn't have been a problem. Hum.....

Were you able to purchase the individual extra pieces or is that parts from two complete rail mounts?

sherm
The rail had one and I ordered the other mount. My LDS suggested it.

hefty

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I’ve tried the BR2 and 3. Honestly, my drums bounce a lot with the BR3. I am using the BR3 on the floor Tom since it was a hanging FT (with an ISO). They work great at FT leg mounts without drilling.
Ah, yeah, it does bounce some with the BRs. I don't mind it though personally and it doesn't hinder playing in any real way. But to each their own.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder if adding the mounts to the bottom row of lugs would work better. I have the br3s on my Montineri kit and the thin maple shells do not seem choked .

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, I set them up and damn, the choking is pronounced! So, I put the old ISO's back on and boom, all the resonance I want or need. Still don't like the look of the old ISO's but it is what it is.
Yup! Not surprised What I expected.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you upgrade to the newer Gauger RIMS if there still available with the smaller plates? All the resonance with much less distraction.

1655507915356.png

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Can you upgrade to the newer Gauger RIMS if there still available with the smaller plates? All the resonance with much less distraction.

View attachment 566155
I love Gauger products but I understand they are no more due to supply chain issues.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Gauger products but I understand they are no more due to supply chain issues.
Why I phrased it as if still available. When they first announced the lines demise I was going to buy a full set for future use, I so wish I had now.