My DIY acoustic panels

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack dcrigger's studio renovation post, so I created a new thread for this.

I recently finished building 5 of these acoustic panels. They use 3" mineral wool batts for the absorption inside. The frames are made from 3-5/8" wide metal wall studs and track, screwed together with self tapping screws. The front fabric is cheap thin felt from the fabric store (very breathable), and the back side is landscape fabric that I had in my garage. I used 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to attach the felt to the inside of the frame.

The panels are 30" wide by 47" tall. I chose this size because insulation batts are 15" wide and 47" tall. 2 for each panel. One pack of rockwool insulation is then enough for the 5 panels. I cut the studs and track to length with tin snips and bending. These have very sharp edges, so I taped the corners with foil duct tape to hide them. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. I haven't permanently mounted them anywhere yet, but just setting them around has really tightened up the bottom end in the room.

The metal studs are cheaper than wood, and much lighter, so hanging these won't take much at all.

20200325_125007.jpg

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You could make some slide on feet to make them portable as well.

Nice job.
Thanks.

Yeah, I thought about that too. And it would be easier to space them away from the wall a few inches as is usually recommended.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hope they work as good as my Harbor Freight moving blankets hanging on clothesline. I feel so....cheap. :D

Reaction score
Looks great! I live in a townhouse, and am always interested to see what people do for acoustic treatment and/or sound insulation. While I don't have pics at the moment, I did something similar to you by creating framed panels. Not sure if it would make sense for you, but I then attached all four panels with hinges to create a foldable screen. It is freestanding, and essentially creates a half circle around the front end of my kit.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks great! I live in a townhouse, and am always interested to see what people do for acoustic treatment and/or sound insulation. While I don't have pics at the moment, I did something similar to you by creating framed panels. Not sure if it would make sense for you, but I then attached all four panels with hinges to create a foldable screen. It is freestanding, and essentially creates a half circle around the front end of my kit.
Makes perfect sense! I've thought of doing similar.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Hope they work as good as my Harbor Freight moving blankets hanging on clothesline. I feel so....cheap. :D
We have blackout curtains from when we lived in an apartment with our bedroom next to a busy street and bus stop. I hung those up in my "studio" and they do make a noticeable difference. I bet those blankets work out pretty well too since they're pretty thick.

Those DIY panels look great! I remember seeing a YouTube video about making them, but they used wood for the frame. Great idea on using the metal instead, for weight.

IMG_20190506_213650125.jpg

owr

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. If anyone is interested, I can post some photos this evening/tomorrow of the panels I have been building. The two things of value I've figured out:

1) Ripping long thin strips of plywood with a skill saw. I can easily get material for 6 4" deep 2' x 4' panels out of one sheet, so even using fancy furniture grade plywood at $50 a sheet wood costs per panel are under $10. If you do 2" thick panels, cut this in half.

2) The french cleat system I put together for hanging panels on the wall and making them easily movable

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tornado, great idea!
Love the fact that you could hang them or just slip some footers on and scooch 'em around the room. Fantastic usability.
I had considered grabbing a few of those "office cubical" walls for a few projects. Yours look WAY lighter and a much more useful size and shape.
Good job.

tris66

Reaction score
Pics of a couple that I threw together. I had some recycled 1x wood that I used for the frames. Neutral colored, cheap burlap covering.
I hung a couple 2' x4' x 2" panels over the kit. 4" thick panels on the walls. Monkey hooks to hang them, but it is pushing the limits of what they can hold.
Stuffed Gumby is an essential element.
They really, really tighten things up when recording.

Attachments

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pics of a couple that I threw together. I had some recycled 1x wood that I used for the frames. Neutral colored, cheap burlap covering.
I hung a couple 2' x4' x 2" panels over the kit. 4" thick panels on the walls. Monkey hooks to hang them, but it is pushing the limits of what they can hold.
Stuffed Gumby is an essential element.
They really, really tighten things up when recording.
Nice. Ceiling treatment is one thing I'm really lacking. Haven't decided how I'm going to tackle it just yet.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. If anyone is interested, I can post some photos this evening/tomorrow of the panels I have been building. The two things of value I've figured out:

1) Ripping long thin strips of plywood with a skill saw. I can easily get material for 6 4" deep 2' x 4' panels out of one sheet, so even using fancy furniture grade plywood at $50 a sheet wood costs per panel are under $10. If you do 2" thick panels, cut this in half.

2) The french cleat system I put together for hanging panels on the wall and making them easily movable
would love to see the pics.

Reactions: owr

owr

Reaction score
I'll try and get some pictures together this weekend and share. It's been a good excuse for me to pick up some new wood working skills, and I'm moving on to some corner bass traps next. This is a great thread, love the other designs folks have shared so far.

TPC

Reaction score
Nice work all.

When I made mine, I opted for no frame and just put a 3” thick piece of Rockwool on a 12”x48” piece of 1/8” thick plywood, and held it in place by stapling canvas over it. I made a bunch of them. They ended up costing a few bucks each. I put them all over - on windows or other reflective surfaces, etc. It works like a charm, and was very easy and cheap to construct.

For the ceiling, which was just open joists and plywood, I cut pieces of the same thin ply board and bent them into place, creating a continuously changing reflective surface. The intent was to diffuse any big sound waves. This was also very effective. The sound in the room is a million times better.

Attachments

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice work all.

When I made mine, I opted for no frame and just put a 3” thick piece of Rockwool on a 12”x48” piece of 1/8” thick plywood, and held it in place by stapling canvas over it. I made a bunch of them. They ended up costing a few bucks each. I put them all over - on windows or other reflective surfaces, etc. It works like a charm, and was very easy and cheap to construct.

For the ceiling, which was just open joists and plywood, I cut pieces of the same thin ply board and bent them into place, creating a continuously changing reflective surface. The intent was to diffuse any big sound waves. This was also very effective. The sound in the room is a million times better.
That's a great ceiling idea.

Reactions: TPC

Latest posts