My Dream Set Has Arrived

Jordan Zimmerman

Reaction score
The set of dreams just arrived after a 4 month wait: Gretsch USA Custom in Rosewood Lacquer. 35 years ago when I went to Berklee College of Music a guy had this set and I fell in love with it. For whatever reason, I never bought one. Well, never too late: here it is. 18/12/14. Initial thoughts:
  • I can't wait to tune and play
  • I can't wait to tune and play
  • I can't..
  • WTF is that a pinstripe on the bass drum?
  • MY GOD THEY'RE BEAUTIFUL!!!
  • Is there any point in "registering" them (they came with a registration card)?
  • The little card says to oil the lugs occasionally. Do people really do that? I've never done that in my life :D
  • I CAN'T WAIT TO TUNE AND PLAY THEM!
  • I'll probably leave the permatones on the toms but the BD head has to go - (I have an Aquarian Modern Vintage waiting for it)

Attachments

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Incredibly happy for you! Absolutely one of Gretsch's most beautiful finishes. And yeah, for reasons that are utterly unclear to me, Gretsch insists on a coated PS3 on their 18s instead of a coated Ambassador.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Incredibly happy for you! Absolutely one of Gretsch's most beautiful finishes. And yeah, for reasons that are utterly unclear to me, Gretsch insists on a coated PS3 on their 18s instead of a coated Ambassador.
yeah.. but you can request heads on the order if you're aware of it. there can be a lot to keep track of..

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
you buy an Ambassador for the batter side for when and if you want that totally open sound..(like Free Jazz maybe>) The PS3 can cover all- genre out of the box ready to go. I assume that's why they spec it..it's the most "general"..
Which I find to be "true".

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
yeah.. but you can request heads on the order if you're aware of it. there can be a lot to keep track of..
I have an 18 on order and my options were (a) two logo heads, (b) one logo, one coated PS3 or (c) two PS3s. Anything else is a dealer swap-out. But I'd fully believe that they like you better than me. :D

Last edited:

Jordan Zimmerman

Reaction score
I can understand that given the options from Remo a PS would deaden the sound. I always planned on putting an Aquarian on it anyway. Just seems out of place on a bop set.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Congratulations!

I ordered a new set back in 1987 and it was between rosewood and burnt orange. Burnt orange won out and I remember the feeling as I pulled each new drum out of the box. I'd love to get a new set again someday, maybe Broadkasters since I already have those USA Customs.

Enjoy them! I've sure enjoyed mine.

FB_IMG_1566257382330.jpg

Latest posts