My favorite solo drum fills. Feel free to add yours.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm going to dump some of my favorite drum fills here. Some are technical, some are tasty, and some just function perfectly for the song. A couple manipulate musical space really well, which is something I really appreciate.

This one came up in a mention in another post.

Just plain catchy. Again, a good use of space.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some obvious choices:
Little Wing
American Band
La Grange

Of course there's a ten mile parade of such fills in Rush tunes, and then there's this entire record, which is pretty much a fill master class hosted by professor Portnoy:

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nick’s pounding sets up the massive weight of a highly emotional guitar solo. The pain… THE PAAAIN…

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The delightfully jerky kick thing just maximizes anticipation of the downbeat. I have personally ripped this off on multiple occasions.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If my hands were full of cartons of eggs, I'd drop them on the floor to air drum with this.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Almost too long for inclusion in this list, it’s somewhere in between a long fill and a short solo. We’ll call it a fill today, to justify including the link based on how it functions to propel us to a more energetic section. Also worth noting: the drum tones on the remaster are downright abominable. Listen to this and then the remaster. They really messed it up.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I really really like this simple pair of fills: hats, then ker-splat.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this tune in another post, but here is my favorite of its many tasty fills.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I rip this simple fill off all the time. I can't decide whether the tom being tuned to the flat 6 of the key makes it better or if it doesn't matter and it's just me overthinking it.

BobDrummer

Reaction score
Blood, Sweat and Tears: Spinning Wheel about 1:30 into the song. Bobby Colomby
Brilliant!!

Genesis: The Way We Walk, The Longs: Firth of Fifth section of Old Medley around 11:50 in. Phil Collins and ChesterThompson together.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gadd fill Chuck E slays me
1:54
I hadn't heard that one before. I blurted out some crass expletives just now upon the inaugural listening, only a minor expletive the second time I listened. Before clicking play, I imagined what it would be like. I figured it would be slinky, sideways, and I wouldn't be able to imagine anything close to what he would play. I was right.