header.nohb.html

My First 6-Lug Snare, Show Me More!

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought this 20ply 6.5”x13” Pearl Reference 6 Lug Snare on Ebay for a mere $215 including tax + shipping. The lugs, tension rods, and hoops were all horribly cheap aftermarket parts. I thought the drum looked super ugly without the factory hardware, so I tracked down the stock Pearl Mastercast hoops, tension rods, and lugs online. All of that stock Pearl hardware plus some new Puresound snare wires and Evans drumheads only cost me another $225. So I’m only into this drum for a total of $440! I think that’s an absolute steal considering it looks and feels brand new! The finish, bearing edges, and throw off are mint. I’m really not sure how I only paid $215 lol. Plus I’ve never played a 6 lug snare drum in my life, so that’s pretty cool too. I really havn’t seen many modern snares with only 6 lugs. Even my 12” snares have 8 lugs.

Show me some more 6 lug snare drums! I’d love to see some more!

This is what the drum looked like when it arrived...

This is the drum after replacing the ugly/broken hardware with stock...

It sounds absoluetly killer now! I like it even more than my 6.5”x14” Pearl Reference snare that I sold a few years back. It’s incredibly sensitive and has a killer tight + crisp snare sound.

Last edited:

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Nice! 6 lug snares are great - I’ve had a couple over the years. Here’s my current one - 1950s WFL Pioneer. I use it all the time.
8B6D084D-B85F-4DD4-91BB-F54A9444CFC0.jpeg

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Six luggers are great, but i prefer a 14 over a 13". We used to do a 45 min Motown set and i always put the sixer on the stand for that show....perfect for jazz standards as well.

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice snares, guys! I've been thinking about an old 6-lug for a while.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Reaction score
This is my '48 (or thereabouts) WFL six-Zephyer-lug 7x14 with single flange hoops. I bought in on a lark via eBay for $100 about 12 years ago. It started life as a student drum, and it has the scars to show for it. Ambassadors top and bottom. All by itself, it sounds kinds of crappy -- okay, really crappy -- but it somehow works with my Zydeco band. I honestly can't explain it. I'll tap on it a few times to check tuning before the gig starts, and think, "Ew..." But when the band starts, it just works. I've tried it with other bands/genres and it's just awful. But I love it.
photo apr 28, 10 45 52 pm.jpg

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
"But i love it"..This is the difference between a drummer and a "non" drummer. You paid 100 bucks for it but there are a few here that would laugh at you for playing it, because it was cheap.....oh oh, that makes you a .......o...I loved your post.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll try and post later. I have an old 6 lug Slingerland (or maybe rogers?) that I put Rocket lugs on. NOB. very sensative and dark. I use it in a band I'm in that's sort of the cure meet the chameleons.
I also have a 13x6 Brass slingerland timbale shell I made into a snare (tube lugs). I use an Rhythm Tech active snare on it. I need to play with that one more.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this ridiculously clean Leedy from the Slingerland era. It has a 1958 date stamp inside. I'm guessing that I've played it more in the past four years that I've owned it than anyone else had in the previous fifty-nine.

1616187619214.png

And this clean 1967 Gretsch 6 lug "Dixieland" snare that I picked up in Akron from one one of our DFO brothers a year ago this week.

1616187738117.png

sixplymaple

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this ridiculously clean Leedy from the Slingerland era. It has a 1958 date stamp inside. I'm guessing that I've played it more in the past four years that I've owned it than anyone else had in the previous fifty-nine.

View attachment 490658

And this clean 1967 Gretsch 6 lug "Dixieland" snare that I picked up in Akron from one one of our DFO brothers a year ago this week.

View attachment 490659
Dang! That blue Leedy is mint!

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My favourite snare is my Rogers Luxor, which I bought from someone on this forum for around $250 (including postage to Denmark) 12-13 years ago. It just always seems to fit in, whether I'm playing hard rock or faking jazz.

Throw a wallet on top of it, and you get the perfect Stax/Al Jackson Jr. sound.

MJB

Reaction score
My favourite snare is my Rogers Luxor, which I bought from someone on this forum for around $250 (including postage to Denmark) 12-13 years ago. It just always seems to fit in, whether I'm playing hard rock or faking jazz.

Throw a wallet on top of it, and you get the perfect Stax/Al Jackson Jr. sound.

That’s great I was listening to Booker T when I read your post.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wow, some excellent 6-luggers! I just schlepped all my 6-lug snare drums outside so they could all smile and be in a picture together! My early 60's Crown snare drum is up a bit too high to get it down, so it appears separately from some years ago!

The Slingerland drum in original "Sparkling Green Pearl" is just waiting to be cleaned and detailed. The wrap is unfaded! The Slingerland drum on the lower row, second from the end, is wrapped in that very dark "Sparkling Blue Pearl", which can be difficult to make out!

-Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2581.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Crown.jpg