My first big fishing project - Catalina bop Frankenstein kit

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
. Crazy idea, but have you thought about stripping the snare and refinishing it to match the kit if you are going to this new darkish brown color?
I don't really want to alter the snare, it's a USA made so I didn't want to experiment on it. These are Catalinas that already had marred finishes, so I didn't really care too much if I ruined them. I'm not too worried about an exact match of the color, I'm cool with the color it's becoming. I think the style of the finish is starting match what I was looking for though. A satin clear coat will be the moment of truth.

I think there's a combination of factors in play with these drum shells taking on color. First, maple is pretty hard. Second, the drums had finishes on them already, and even though I stripped and sanded, there are likely still remnants of the old finish deep inside the pores. Third, the shape of the drum shells does not lend itself to thick applications of dye/stain that you would ordinarily let sit on a flat surface and absorb. It wants to instantly run off. I think these shells just needed a lot more time in contact with the dye, in addition to letting some of the dye dry on the surface.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good call - I agree don't ruin the snare. It is a pain to put on stain and leave it without it running....sure would help to have a sprayer! Anyway, good luck and look forward to the final photos!

I am almost fully stripped on my kit.....hope to be done by next weekend.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Update, toms after first coat of satin polyurethane. This should be the final look. If the finish is durable, I'll be really happy. I know lots of people don't care for the satin finishes, but I really dig them.

20181002_191740.jpg

I'm still working on the stain of the bass drum, and haven't started the hoops.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hum... do you have matching badges for everything (in as good a condition)? If so, I vote badges! If not, I resend my vote and say none.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fat Drummer said:
Hum... do you have matching badges for everything (in as good a condition)? If so, I vote badges! If not, I resend my vote and say none.
Well, the mounted tom and floor tom are both Catalina Maples. The badges are in good shape. The mounted tom says "Made in China" in very tiny lettering at the bottom, the floor tom badge does not. They are otherwise identical.

The Bass drum is a Catalina Club, with an older square badge that just says Gretsch across the top, and Gretsch across the bottom upside down. That badge is still on since it's not an easy screw off grommet like the Catalina Maples.

So yeah, the toms match, but the bass drum doesn't, and the bass drum is keeping its badge no matter what.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bass drum hoops got their final coat. Went with a gloss black enamel spray paint. Lots of wood filler, lots of sanding. Primer coat, and more sanding.

20181006_125840.jpg

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Tornado said:
From the photos your job looks incredible!
Thanks! It was a lot of work!!
Yep, I've done a similar job before myself, so I'm familiar with the work involved.
Tip o' the derby, sir!
Looks like you pulled this project off with panache!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd like to see the final bearing edges and how close you got the finish to the edge. Fabulous results, though!!! Great finishing job!

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
I'd like to see the final bearing edges and how close you got the finish to the edge. Fabulous results, though!!! Great finishing job!
I don't think I have any pics, but it's mostly about 1/8 of an inch below the bevel, at about as straight as I could apply tape. I had some bleed through onto the bearing edge, but it's minor and only cosmetic. I still may have new edges cut anyway, but I'm going to play them as is for now.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
incredible job!!! your kit makes me want to call some jazz buddies up and jam!!

want kind of music are you going to play with this kit?

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
audiochurch said:
incredible job!!! your kit makes me want to call some jazz buddies up and jam!!

want kind of music are you going to play with this kit?
Straight ahead jazz. A good looking kit does inspire you to play!

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
MAN, those turned out beautiful! I know I said it in the other thread, but super work, those just look stunning!