My first cover! - 2weeks of drum progress

Cath962

Reaction score
Hey guys!
My name is Catherine, I’m new into drums. I recorded myself doing my first cover after 2 weeks of progress. Here’s the result...

Do you guys have any advice? I don’t take lessons for now, and I don’t know any drummer, so I don’t know if I doing something wrong...

Thank you! :)

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
You just picked up sticks 2 weeks ago??? You’ve clearly found your thing, that’s a fantastic cover for a 2 weeks drummer. The way you move, the way you get the rhythm moving through you, your consistency- all really natural, you drum like you’ve been drumming all your life.

If I was gonna nitpick, or better yet offer some constructive criticism, I’d suggest practicing to a click a bit. There’s a little bit of rushing, a little anticipation in some of the bass drum parts. (A lot of that will disappear as you get more comfortable and gain more independence)

Don’t get me wrong, your playing is good enough for a garage band as is, I’m just trying to point out things to work on. You might check out Drumeo for your next step - $97 will get you a 6 months membership (full money back, no questions satisfaction guarantee). Congratulations on your progress so far, you’re a natural!

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
My name is Catherine, I’m new into drums. I recorded myself doing my first cover after 2 weeks of progress. Here’s the result...

Do you guys have any advice? I don’t take lessons for now, and I don’t know any drummer, so I don’t know if I doing something wrong...

Hi Catherine,
How long have you been playing?
You have a good sense of timing.
Your grip is all wrong. You need to have a fulcrum with you thumb and forefingers and then wrap your other 3 fingers around the stick. For a song like Dance Monkey (slow tempo) it doesn't matter. But if you want to develop your hands for faster tempos you need to work on your grip. It is critical!!

But good job. Send me more videos and I will assist. I have studies with Henry Adler and produced a hand development video many years ago

Ken

Cath962

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your help and support!
I will follow your advice.

I bought my drum kit on december 21, and it was my first time playing drums. But I already know how to play the guitar so maybe it helps...
I started my trial of 30 days on drumeo on your recommandation Drumbumcrumb.. So far, I like it :)
But good job. Send me more videos and I will assist.
Cool, I'm looking forward to show you my progress !

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two weeks in??? Come on... you got this! Keep up the work, the learning and the practice and I look forward to many more good vids in the future!

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever you're doing keep doing it and have fun with it.

Nice work!

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen drummers a few years in that didn’t have the feel you have at a few weeks.
Nice.
There are a few things you did that belie your time behind the kit. You are quite a bit ahead of the curve.

loser_wizard

Reaction score
Sounding good! The only thing I would recommend is finding a music store you like and start taking lessons in person (pandemic in mind of course). Go in to specifically get feedback on your technique, so you get started out developing the healthiest way to hold sticks/strike/etc, not necessarily to learn how to memorize sheet music or songs. Sheet music is great, too, of course, but it is the foundation techniques that will set you free. Keep drumming!

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
You can hear and you make good musical choices.

Stay with this.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Thank you! :)
If you are being honest about only playing for a couple of weeks then you are the fastest learner I’ve ever seen! Keep up the great work. Most people can’t figure out the timing and coordination that quickly.

If you don’t take lessons you should at least buy some drum books to play through. Carmine Appice’s “Ultimate Realistic Rock” book would be perfect for you. Keep practicing all of the drum rudiments as well. Do that and you are going to get really good in no time!

Also, be sure to look up proper technique for holding the sticks and using the kick pedal. If you habitually start off with bad technique then it will haunt your playing forever and limit you. So just make sure you figure that out 100% first.

Cath962

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help! I just did a post about my second video after 1 month of progress :