My first Gretsch

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I’m excited to share with all of you, I just bought myself a new drum! In fact, this is the first drum I’ve ever bought.

It’s the Gretsch limited edition chrome over brass snare with the 301 hoops.

I’ve long been looking for a good snare that brings what only a metal shell can, then recently a sound file for this turned up on Steve Maxwell’s site, and man does it deliver. Bright, pingy, poppy and snappy. The 301 hoops really open this up, giving it a lovely vintage buzz which drove me to it in the first place. Dry too, in the character of a Gretsch, but not nearly so as my dad’s Acrolite, and I’m enjoying how that seems to emphasize the articulation. It’s louder than most snares I come across these days, but in fact has a wide dynamic range in both directions as it’s fantastically sensitive too, almost like might be expected from a concert snare. I’m finding that both its responsiveness at low-volumes and its easy ability to get loud is demanding discipline from my playing in both regards.

I picked it up last Friday, having made the long road trip out to Maxwell’s Illinois shop. The guys at rehearsal this weekend were impressed with how good it sounded and how well it sat in the mix. My wife too was delighted for me and excited to see it when I got back that night, which was wonderful.

I should mention, I’ve been drumming for wow, close to 40 years? And it occurred to me during this purchase, I’ve never once bought myself a drum. Plenty of cymbals and everything else, but my only kit has always been the Pearl Exports my dad bought me for graduation, along with his own Ludwig Acrolite. Furthermore, Gretsch is my kit of dreams, so hopefully this drum is the first of many with that badge. I finally get to say I now belong to the Gretsch club!

Special thanks to JDA for his keen input and kind enthusiasm.

While they keep it posted, here’s Steve Maxwell’s Reverb listing for it with pictures and sound file, but as this was limited edition, I believe I bought his last one.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great drum! I’ve played the die cast version and I bet those hoops really open it up. I believe over the last Christmas holiday some went out with the wrong hoops (stamp was in the wrong spot) and Gretsch was offering to send a second pair when they become available. Sweet drum bonus hoops, missed opportunity. Congrats! And so it begins, Exports today and USA Customs tomorrow.

Neal Pert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll bet that sounds amazing. One of the huge surprises in the drumming world for me is that Gretsch has turned their snare drum line from "mostly to be avoided" to something really special and good. I'm a lifelong Gretsch guy and it's only now that I'd say that Gretsch snares are among my favorites. I'm sure you've done REALLY well-- I have had the 6.5 but with die casts and it completely killed. CAn't wait for the review!

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am utterly shocked that you have only played one kit for 40 years ..WOW !!!
Not a bad thing , my 1st kit was an export and i played the heck out of it for 13 years ..

Hanno

Reaction score
Beautiful looking and sounding drum. I have a Gretsch USA Custom since four years and I understand how proud you are having this thing. :)

Latest posts