My FIRST set of Ludwigs!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Congrats on your latest grab cworrick!
Pretty cool that some of that drum's history is intertwined with your own (its almost kismet that you ended up with them).
...and now today's Rock'n'Roll factoid that you may not be aware of.....Sib Hashian also played a set of Silver Sparkle 3-ply Pro Beats, so when you get that kit up and running, you might want the first song you play on it to be....More than a feeling. ;) :-D
Have fun with them. =)

Elvis

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love reconnecting with personal history like that!

The 70s clear interior drums, IMO, are the best Ludwig ever did. Enjoy!

Dan

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Nice. My high school kit was a red sparkle Rogers Holiday in a 22/13/16 config with a matching Powertone snare. Wish I could transport to 50 years ago...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really awesome story man! How awesome is that!? I can't wait to see how they clean up. Really cool sizes.
You could buy a 12" have two sets.
12, 14, 18
13, 16, 24

dharma bum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love the story. Those drum sets we see or play in the early school years have a huge influence on what we think is cool. You can restore that to be a great kit.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unless it was rewrapped, why would all the badges be removed? I can understand one missing, but all of them?

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Unless it was rewrapped, why would all the badges be removed? I can understand one missing, but all of them?
I remember when I was in school that the badges were coming off and the pointed corners would poke people. I could see kids at that age pulling them off to keep from getting poked. Plus the general disrespect and disregard everyone had for "the junker kit" at the time not knowing what it really was.

It's not a re-wrap. 1. The school wouldn't pay to do something like that. 2 I can see the "shadow" from where they were on the drums.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I wonder if the 18 wasn't pulled and used in concert band or something.. It wouldn't surprise me if it was still hidden somewhere in the middle school or high school.

cworrick

Reaction score
aaarrrggghhhhh

All my attempts to track down the 18" are drawing blanks.

I've started looking on line for shells no matter the color ( I can always re-wrap).

EVERYTHING I am finding that meets the match is being sold by "you-know-who" in Ft. Meyers Florida.:mad::puke:

:crybaby:

:binky:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I realize you're working on getting the original kit back together, but what if you just got an 18" Legacy floor tom in Silver Sparkle?
They might not be 100% "correct", but it would be a means to an end.

cworrick

Reaction score
I realize you're working on getting the original kit back together, but what if you just got an 18" Legacy floor tom in Silver Sparkle?
They might not be 100% "correct", but it would be a means to an end.
The thought has occurred to me.
1. My OCD wouldn't like the difference in the hardware between the old and the new.
2. If I ever eventually have to sell it, I would like to be able to have it all matching as much as possible.
3. There is an "aging" and maturing of the wood that, at least in my mind, would affect the sound of the drum. Kind of like a Stratavarious violin compared to a newer violin made with newer and better techniques.

I've been looking at the correct drum despite the color with the thought that I could re-wrap it. The search continues...

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
What you say is true...Good luck in your search....speaking of which, would this work for ya?......

Last edited:

cworrick

Reaction score
What you say is true...Good luck in your search....speaking of which, would this work for ya?......

Granitone interior

Late 70's.

All mine are natural. 71-early 73. Would like to keep them the same.

Thanks anyway!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Says they're 3-ply, but I missed the Granitone interior.
Sorry.