header.nohb.html

My First Vintage K Purchase ......................

Black Label

Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of near mint condition 15" new stamp Istanbul K hi hats (827/873) and this is my first real experience with vintage K's. I picked them up for a good prize so though it a worth while gamble.

Thus far, I am in neutral territory with these hats, (as I was originally with my 22" 602 Dark Ride) BUT not being a jazz guy and more a rock guy, I'm used to heavier brighter hats, so my reaction is probably to be expected. I find these very low pitched, mellow and although a nice "chup", by no means a cutting chup. I do however accept that these hats, especially at those weights are probably more aimed at an acoustic jazz set up. They definitely are smokey though.

However, I will persevere and hopefully these hats will grow on me eventually - the 602 did. If they don't I think it is one of those sets of hats which should in any event be a keeper just for owning old K's.

Attachments

• PHOTO-2022-11-13-08-06-29.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-11-13-08-06-29.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 25
  • PHOTO-2022-11-22-16-41-27.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-11-22-16-41-27.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 20
  • PHOTO-2022-11-22-16-41-39.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-11-22-16-41-39.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 21
  • PHOTO-2022-11-22-16-42-03.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-11-22-16-42-03.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 19
  • PHOTO-2022-11-13-08-06-29 (006).jpg
    PHOTO-2022-11-13-08-06-29 (006).jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 20

mathale

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of near mint condition 15" new stamp Istanbul K hi hats (827/873) and this is my first real experience with vintage K's. I picked them up for a good prize so though it a worth while gamble.
Ahh-HA! You're the gent who picked them up. Good for you. :)
Thus far, I am in neutral territory with these hats, (as I was originally with my 22" 602 Dark Ride) BUT not being a jazz guy and more a rock guy, I'm used to heavier brighter hats, so my reaction is probably to be expected.
You'll find that the New Stamps are a bit brighter than, say, the Old Stamp old Ks, definitely. There was a switch-up in design at a certain point along the eras.
I find these very low pitched, mellow and although a nice "chup", by no means a cutting chup. I do however accept that these hats, especially at those weights are probably more aimed at an acoustic jazz set up. They definitely are smokey though.
With the cymbals being so close in weight, you'll get more of that "chup" than you would with a greater weight difference. For me, I love the chup or chump (or crump). It's just a subjective thing. The whole "chick" thing was for the amplification of music, anyway (hi-hats with a greater weight distribution). Smoky and mellow - would love to hear them someday (just something basic).
However, I will persevere and hopefully these hats will grow on me eventually - the 602 did. If they don't I think it is one of those sets of hats which should in any event be a keeper just for owning old K's.
I should say so - being in such nice condition and ideal weights (for smaller combos). Congratulations!

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score

Thus far, I am in neutral territory with these hats, (as I was originally with my 22" 602 Dark Ride) BUT not being a jazz guy and more a rock guy, I'm used to heavier brighter hats, so my reaction is probably to be expected. I find these very low pitched, mellow and although a nice "chup", by no means a cutting chup. I do however accept that these hats, especially at those weights are probably more aimed at an acoustic jazz set up. They definitely are smokey though.

I have the same "problem." Recently picked up some 15" old stamp K Istanbul hats (753/986) and thought they would be a breeze to play/understand.....and blow away every other set of hats
I ever tried. Nope. It's going to take some work to change my thought process. I'm not a fan of 15's and larger as a rule. Went through about 2 dozen 1950's 15" A's....always going back to the 14's I grew up on.

At first I though the thin top on this set would be plus (dry, deep, and airy sound) along with the +240 gms on the bottom (ie a new beat like weighting with excellent cutting). Best of both worlds.
Well, that lighter top is darn "loud." It's an amazing crash by itself....ridiculously explosive. And cymbal swells are amazing, the best of any cymbal I own. Put that kind of explosive symphonic-like
crash into the mix and the hi hat pair seems to lose a bit of control and focus. And then that "new beat-like" weighted bottom doesn't really bring in the "cut" I expected. That paper thin top just might be
too much to overcome. So lots of things to assess and think about. Individually, both are really nice crash cymbals. As a hi hat pair, maybe not as good as the sum of their parts.
This is no doubt an original factory "pair" based on their look and wear pattern. At least they were bought and kept together since new, whether ever intended to be a hi hat pair.
Just goes to show that nothing is guaranteed. This is the 2nd pair of K Istanbul hats I've owned.

Picked up my 1st pair of old K hats about 2 years ago, 14 Intermediate Stamps with that same wide spread of 760/925. And certainly a factory pair traced back to the original owner when I got them. And these babies are a great match. They cut like "heck." Higher pitched and easily more cutting than the deeper sounding and slower to respond 15" 3b's. The 14 IS's are so much easier to control and use. It's like a Ferrari to a Hemi Charger. To show that $$ aren't the only consideration. My favorite pair of hats are still a 14" trans stamp thin pair of 713/768 gm. For some reason they crunch a bit like old K's.....the only ones so far I've found like that. And however they pair up, they cut like crazy too. In fact they cut very similar in sound to the 14 old K's....despite being so much lighter on the bottom. They cut almost as well as my 70's new beats (825/1165)....go figure all that. Can't explain it. Those thin 14's are monsters....yet nearly every other pair of thin 50's 14's and 15's A's I had....always seemed a bit weak on the foot "crump". Hi hat pairs are "like a box of chocolates.....you never know what you're going to get.".........F. Gump. Sometimes when nearly matched they cut great....others not so much. And when the spread is wide....they might not cut as well as you'd expect....even if they should. One time I picked up a heavy trans stamp bottom (1225 gm) to mate up with either of my thin 700's, Well I found out that the "trans stamp nature" of that heavy bottom sort of disappears in a "wide" pair like this. I could swap in a 70's new beat bottom of the same weight and hear no real difference in the overall tone. Which suggest the overall stick tone is being driven by the top. If you're considering adding a heavier A bottom to your 15" old K pair.....I don't think I'd go higher than 1000-1050 gm....so the thin K top doesn't get overwhelmed by the heavy A bottom. I've tried various ways of making trans stamp "new beats."....and all have fallen short of my actual factory paired 70's new beats.

I'd bet the tension of the hats, their angles as they mate up, etc. all play a role in the foot crump. Hi hats will turn when being played....and their best spot together only comes around once in a while (ie perfect sound and crump). I spend a lot of time spinning them when that foot crump seems to disappear at times. That's a possible discussion for another thread.

Last edited: