My GC snare shopping experience

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
SPOILER: Happy ending!

After missing out on the $105 Acro here, my wife knew I was itching for a new snare to replace the Supra I sold about 5 years ago.

Finally was able to take our dogs in for a bath, and Guitar Center is right across the street. It took while to get noticed, but someone did come in to get me a pair of sticks. I had them pull down a “vintage” Slingerland snare marked at $219.99. Tries several other snares including Supralite, and Tama and Yamaha steel, but the Slingy won hands down. I picked it up, and it is most definitely COB! (Or not, apparently)

Another sales person eventually showed up, and I asked her if they could go any lower. She gave me the line about calling the LA store, and “they never go down”. I had already looked at the tag, and it had been marked down from $299!

I asked her to throw in a new head, and she got permission. Went to check out, and when she scanned it it came up at $199.99. Pretty good score!

My wife said it is Father’s Day and Birthday, but I don’t care!
25362ABA-7995-409D-893A-4EA586D07AE0.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

mlucas123

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just take a photo of the inside. That will end the debate.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 10 lug version of that drum, the festival model and it’s hands down one of my favorite snares.

Reddy

Reaction score
SPOILER: Happy ending!

After missing out on the $105 Acro here, my wife knew I was itching for a new snare to replace the Supra I sold about 5 years ago.

Finally was able to take our dogs in for a bath, and Guitar Center is right across the street. It took while to get noticed, but someone did come in to get me a pair of sticks. I had them pull down a “vintage” Slingerland snare marked at $219.99. Tries several other snares including Supralite, and Tama and Yamaha steel, but the Slingy won hands down. I picked it up, and it is most definitely COB! (Or not, apparently)

Another sales person eventually showed up, and I asked her if they could go any lower. She gave me the line about calling the LA store, and “they never go down”. I had already looked at the tag, and it had been marked down from $299!

I asked her to throw in a new head, and she got permission. Went to check out, and when she scanned it it came up at $199.99. Pretty good score!

My wife said it is Father’s Day and Birthday, but I don’t care!
View attachment 446631
One of the most inexpensive snares I ever purchased and one of the best sounding. I’ve played mine for almost 30 yrs. Enjoy it. When cranked up it gets crazy funky.
72F2350C-C3A1-43AD-84C8-6A5C2DEFC3D9.jpeg