My God.... what have I done.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bought my first vintage shell to fix up and play. The ad says it's a 50s WFL13x9. You can see where the badge was (keystone) but the shell has been completely stripped. The price spoke to me so I figured what the hell. I decided I'm going to make myself an orphan kit. Buy some old orphan shells give them some love and then make a players kit and gig with them. I understand it's a slippery slope from here on out! So what was your gateway drug? How'd you guys get started in vintage drums?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
My first dip in the water was a Rogers Tower 20+12 in blue sparkle that were sitting unused at my high school. I traded the band director an acoustic guitar for those, because I thought they looked cool. I was a teenager, knew nothing about drums in general, let alone vintage drums, but wanted some to play at home (I had only started taking percussion a year or two earlier). I discovered Jollity Drum Farm and Bobby helped me get a matching 14 and snare. Later I sold the whole set back to him, but I have been enjoying vintage drums ever since.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
College...Jr. Year. Took the long walk tot he one music shop in town (Athens OH). There's a Ludwig Supersensative 6x14 keystone badge...no wire mind you this is 86...I might have just started getting Not So Modern Drummer...maybe... the price was cheap. I only had 1 snare...I brought it back to the house we were renting. Took all the lugs off...cleaned the shell and lugs and put it back together. I had Jack's drum shop in Boston make me wires as there were none being manufactured. I didn't like how it sounded...so I converted it to a superphonic (i probably had jack's do that too, they probably offerred to 'dispose' of the parts for me and I probably let them keep them). Kept in a good 10 years...sold it to a woman drummer who also ran sound....

NOTE: My housemates and their girl friends all thought it was kind of cool to see a drum taken apart and cleaned up...i think the attention also helped fuel the fire.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I scored a Ludwig B/O 5x14 snare off CList with the UFO case. Chrome plastic over wood. P85/P32, but unfortunately, standard lugs (not bow ties). She wanted $60 but took $50.
I then stripped it off, stained it in a light walnut with a light gold wash to give it a totally 70's look, then swapped it (snare only) for a pair of Sabian Manhattan Jazz 13" HH's....and so it began! And this was maybe 5 years ago. Since then, I've been in hyper collect mode, especially since joining DFO about 3 years ago!

mebeatee

Reaction score
I find the best scores are the one's that find you, especially when you're not really looking....
For instance I contacted a person about a Milestone kit and when I went to check them out he had a '63 set of Gretsch (20/13/16) with no hardware stacked in a corner. Upon inquiring (and losing interest in the Milestones.....as I had some anyway) he mentioned a snare drum he had that didn't match the Gretsch. It turned out to be a '63 Camco snare.....so I picked up the Gretsch and Camco. Have since sold the Gretsch but kept the Camco....
I'm not a "vintage" drum person by any means but it seems from time to time I stumble across something that says "pick me" when I'm not necessarily looking for anything....and they turn out to be "vintage"....ie an old 12x22 Slingerland marching BD that now is a regular BD, an old silver sparkle Ludwig 6 lug snare to match my old silver sparkle Ludwig's....
Touring also can be dangerous as I've often come home with more stuff than I've gone out with.....
bt

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Around 1980 Dad brought home a Leedy Shelly Manne snare with the brittle Red Moire wrap falling off in places.
It was a $5 find at a junk store, naturally he bought it for me. I refinished it nicely, still have & play it. Been collecting vintage ever since.....they were just "old drums" then.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the late-'90s, after coming up through the '80s and early-'90s era of modern and hi-tech advances in equipment, I started noticing the trend of certain players using vintage kits again, most notably Darren Jesse with Ben Folds. He had a BDP Leedy kit that I thought sounded great and looked so cool. Very different from the prevalence of modern kits at that time, especially DW, which was everywhere.

Started looking for vintage stuff locally and found a '60s Slingerland kit, also in BDP, that was stunning. Fell hard for it. That started the journey for me.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
There's a Ludwig Supersensative 6x14 keystone badge...no wire
That reminds me of a Supra I found for $80! in a back alley music store in upstate NY. MAN I loved that drum. Stupidly sold it when I lost my job a few years back and my friend who owns it now won't sell it back. Story of my life!

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wandering in an old mom n pop music store in 1979 looking for sticks for the gig that night. Saw a dusty 7x14 green sparkle 1940s Radio King under a bunch of boxes and misc. It said, “Hey kid. You should ask if I’m for sale.” I’m pretty sure that gig covered the $60, but not by much. Lol.

shuffle

DFO Master
Reaction score
I bought a 64 Supra in a sq. case for $50 at a yard sale.
1985 was when it started and ended in 2000,prices were too much for this old boy,so I got out of it.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A mid to early 60's Ludwig Pioneer snare in BDP for $75.00 at a now defunct music store (late 1990's?). I developed G.A.S.as they say and the rest is history.No longer collecting and contemplating selling (I'm 63) Fixing up and piecing together kits is an adventure, done it many times, enjoy the experience :)
Coy

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I started around 1990. I just graduated high school and wanted a new set. I ordered a brand new Ludwig set and right after I left the store, went to another store up the street and found a ludwig quadra plus in red/clear/blue with matching snare for $350.00. It was all about hunting the want advertiser(anyone remember that or know what it was?), looking for yard sales and checking the local newspaper. I also had a music store route that has long since dried up which is a shame. I miss those days when I would bring some tunes with me, hit the road and spend a day hitting all these hole in the wall music shops. I saw so much stuff back in the day! Some I bought, some I stupidly passed on. Every year the music store Daddy's Junky Music would have a garage sale and you could go to this old warehouse and hunt for crap. I was also fortunate to get to go through an old music store warehouse that closed its doors and I spent between $3-400 on parts and other crap. I bought just about everything that was a ludwig part and I can't tell you how many sets I was able to complete that way. Things are just so much more different now. Some things are better but I do miss those old days of hunting down stuff. I have been very blessed over the years.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
My high school had an old LA Camco kit in walnut 22/12/13/16. This was 1980-83. Around 1985 I started getting a flyer from Vintage Drum Center Of Iowa. I used to drool over the 1920’s Ludwig Black Beauty That was far out of my price range at around $850

I finally ordered a Gretsch 70’s COB snare from Ned around 1987. That was my first vintage drum. That started the bug and when I saw a Camco Drum it brought back memories of high school and I’ve been a Camco junkie ever since!

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
After I retired in 2006 I bought, restored and sold a number if vintage drum sets but I never kept any of them for myself. One of those kits was a Rogers Top Hat outfit from the early 60s. It looked and sounded great and I loved the dual 8x12 toms where you could get amazing tone separation by tuning one high and the other lower. And the 14x20 bass drum was awesome. A few years ago I decided to build a players set patterned after the Top Hat outfits of the 60s but with the sturdier Memriloc hardware of the 70s and it would be just for me to keep and gig for the rest of my days. I bought the orphans one by one and built my dream kit. I play it at rehearsals and gigs just about every week. Life is good.

Rogers_black1.JPG 5.JPG

Last edited:

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After I retired in 2006 I bought, restored and sold a number if vintage drum sets but I never kept any of the for myself. One of those kits was a Rogers Top Hat outfit from the early 60s. It looked and sounded great and I loved the dual 8x12 toms where you could get amazing tone separation by tuning one high and the other lower. And the 14x20 bass drum was awesome. A few years ago I decided to build a players set patterned after the Top Hat outfits of the 60s but with the sturdier Memriloc hardware of the 70s and it would be just for me to keep and gig for the rest of my days. I bought the orphans one by one and built my dream kit. I play it at rehearsals and gigs just about every week. Life is good.

View attachment 386164 View attachment 386165
Love the wrap you chose! Beautiful kit!

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Love the wrap you chose! Beautiful kit!
It's True Black Glass Glitter (from Jammin Sam's), a color Rogers never offered. I always wanted a black sparkle kit from the time I was a teenager drooling over the pics in drum catalogs. So now I have my favorite drums in my favorite color. I love the way they light up like a Christmas tree under colored stage lights.

8.JPG

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I started when they were just know as "used drums", I could never afford a decent new kit so I hunted for great used gear. My first "vintage kit" happened in 1991. Still chasing the lure of "vintage maple shell' which were always touted as glorious in Modern drummer, I set out to find a kit and strip it to maple and have a maple kit. I found a 1950's 3ply gretch kit in black diamond pearl, all original except for the slingerland mount on the bass drum and tom, sizes were 12 22 16 & 5x14 matching snare with micro strainer (working). As everyone did in the early 90's, gave it some pinstripes and played it. This was great, however I was 21 and playing what a 21 year old was playing in the 90's and this kit did not look cool on stage. So, guess what I did,( breath deeply, i did not strip it), I swapped this kit for a a Yamaha Stage kit with a friend and figured I got the better end of the deal. He, inturn stripped the entire kit, removed the glue and did a great job in finishing the kit natural matte maple and later sold it for $800 (1992, still cheap). Time went on and I found a 1966 Ludwig Oyster blue super classic which I purchased and kept for 7 years, this was the kit that sparked the obsession with vintage drums and trying to find our everything there was about them and other brands. This obsession is no different than any other, I know many will understand. Back then, it was all about the local drum hunt or what you buy out of the back of John Aldridge's fine publication, Vintage drum magazine. Those day were great, the prices were reasonable, you had to go by written description and trust the seller. Most deals went well, some not so well. There were also the Vintage Drum shows that happened, a few a year and that was always fun to attend. I'd plan vacations around them.

Then came the Internet and the drum center of indianappolis page and Harry C. That had to be the best time for the vintage drum purchaser. (I was one of the original members of that forum, I'm old) Today, the market has gone a little crazy for some brands, ebay was great in the beginning, however now there's not much out there. I still hunt though, mainly Ludwig stuff, mostly players as I like to recover kits and play them.

Swamptrashstompboxes

Reaction score
I got hooked on B/O 3ply and kept hoarding. I also bought a few vintage ludwig sparkle snares, flipped them and had a really nice return.

i must say i want to get an Acrolite snare though. but I am stuck on lower diameter deep shell snares, that is just my sound i guess.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I bought my first drumkit is 1969, a Rogers Londoner in Red Onyx. I had to sell it a year or so later because I was in college and needed money for car insurance etc. I had a cheap Japanese kit after that, but in 1972 it was all gone. I didn't own a drumkit again for 27 years. In 2000 I woke up one morning and decided I was going to buy myself a Rogers kit for my birthday.
Daddy's Junky Music was big back then, and I bought a nice 1972 Rogers Londoner from them for a good price. I've been deep into it ever since....

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
Bought my first vintage shell to fix up and play. The ad says it's a 50s WFL13x9. You can see where the badge was (keystone) but the shell has been completely stripped. The price spoke to me so I figured what the hell. I decided I'm going to make myself an orphan kit. Buy some old orphan shells give them some love and then make a players kit and gig with them. I understand it's a slippery slope from here on out! So what was your gateway drug? How'd you guys get started in vintage drums?
Tmcfour I belive my first is a Camco set. Can post the only pick I have later. And being real trendy aluminum tube with plastic tips for sticks.:headbang: I was about 10 in 63 or so.

Latest posts