My hunt for Camco 3D is over!

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Hello everyone. Well as the title says my hunt for Oaklawn Camco 3D is finally over. What a relief it is to finally get a rare wrap vintage Camco kit back together again.

But, I'll be honest Camco 3D isn't my favorite wrap but it will definitely grow on you if you keep looking at it long enough.

So, I had tuck away matching 12" & 14" orphan toms for nearly seven years now and just last week a matching 20" 3D bass drum with no extra holes or mods became available so, I purchased it. I think they look pretty good together.

Anybody here a fan of 3D wrap?

Attachments

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah wow! Bends my mind just looking at your internet pics. In person it would be total mind melt!

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Fantastic! I'm happy for you. I assume as time passes, it gets harder and harder to "reunite" Camco kits.

Prufrock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well done! The kit looks "born together." Your patience has certainly paid off!

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fantastic! I'm happy for you. I assume as time passes, it gets harder and harder to "reunite" Camco kits.
Yes indeed! My only advice those holding on to a particular drum is; try not to think about it. Tuck that orphan away out of sight. It might take you some time but trust me it will pop up.

You guys might remember this from a few years ago?

I had this beautiful gold sparkle 14" FT sitting around that I got from a DFO member. Well as my luck was for that year, I was able to match it with a 12" tom & 18" bass drum, I found while shopping online one night at 3am.

The Aristocrat snare drum (found 3 months later) was the absolute most expensive part to bring this Oaklawn bop kit together.

Attachments

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Yes indeed! My only advice those holding on to a particular drum is; try not to think about it. Tuck that orphan away out of sight. It might take you some time but trust me it will pop up.
Well then, there is hope for me. If anybody has an early Oaklawn Blue Moire Aristocrat Snare to sell to a good home, I'm your guy! That Bop kit is beautiful!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Osa, great job!!! Way to stay on target and it paid off!

Is that wrap flat to the touch? It sure looks bumpy.......

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Osa, great job!!! Way to stay on target and it paid off!

Is that wrap flat to the touch? It sure looks bumpy.......
Hey thanks!

The original 1960s 3D wrap is smooth to the touch like any other satin flame (Moire) wrap of the time however IMO it holds up much better.

To note: I was told a few years ago the newest version of 3D wrap is not related to the satin flame family like the 1960s version and the newer 3D wrap is a little bumpy with slightly smaller looking bubbles... but, I can't say for certain because, I never purchased any to compare it side by side.

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Wow 7 years is a long time! Congratulations. They look great! I found a Gretsch 12,14,snare a few months back and figured I would be waiting a while to match it with a proper bass drum. I got super lucky when this 20" was for sale. It was also not that far from me so I was able to go pick it up in person!

Gretsch6.jpg