My hunt for Camco 3D is over!

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Anybody here a fan of 3D wrap?
It’s in my top 3! I was so close to snagging an Oaklawn 22/12/12/16 that came up on the Camco FB page, but it sold before I could get the last $500 together. Maybe I just need to put aside the money and wait 7 years?

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
It’s in my top 3! I was so close to snagging an Oaklawn 22/12/12/16 that came up on the Camco FB page, but it sold before I could get the last $500 together. Maybe I just need to put aside the money and wait 7 years?
You know these vintage drum searches are funny... you might find something in a very short time OR it could literally take you a lifetime of searching.

Sometimes finding a "place holder" or building a replica is best... but damn it's never the same.

I still have on my long term search list a particular 14X14 Camco floor tom which, I'm totally convinced will never pop up in my lifetime.

Lee Van Kief

Reaction score
Sometimes finding a "place holder" or building a replica is best... but damn it's never the same.

I still have on my long term search list a particular 14X14 Camco floor tom which, I'm totally convinced will never pop up in my lifetime.
I’ve gone that route just recently. I can’t justify the prices for an original Rogers 14” floor in champagne sparkle. The clone will get me to about 90% satisfaction at about 1/3 of the price. Well worth it.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes indeed! My only advice those holding on to a particular drum is; try not to think about it. Tuck that orphan away out of sight. It might take you some time but trust me it will pop up.

You guys might remember this from a few years ago?

I had this beautiful gold sparkle 14" FT sitting around that I got from a DFO member. Well as my luck was for that year, I was able to match it with a 12" tom & 18" bass drum, I found while shopping online one night at 3am.

The Aristocrat snare drum (found 3 months later) was the absolute most expensive part to bring this Oaklawn bop kit together.
That's just killin', Osa!

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I ordered a pair of Slingerland red tiger pearl concert toms in 1974 or '75. Got a letter from Slingerland saying the finish was discontinued. Looked for them for years with no success. A friend called me around 2008 saying he found a pair and sent them to me. Sometimes you have to be patient.

kdgrissom

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of Slingerland red tiger pearl concert toms in 1974 or '75. Got a letter from Slingerland saying the finish was discontinued. Looked for them for years with no success. A friend called me around 2008 saying he found a pair and sent them to me. Sometimes you have to be patient.
33 years!!!! That's not just patience...you're playing the long game!
Unfortunately, I doubt I have that long now....:(

Last edited:

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I got a brand new set of 3-Ds in about 1964. 20,12,14 with a supra. Gigged 'em for about 10 years. Great drums!

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I got a brand new set of 3-Ds in about 1964. 20,12,14 with a supra. Gigged 'em for about 10 years. Great drums!
Wow! I would have loved to order myself first hand a new Oaklawn era Camco kit... but knowing me, I would have grabbed a 18" bass drum & matching Aristocrat snare drum.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
I received a interesting email yesterday from a DFO member asking me about my 3D 14X14 floor tom & legs... well... as for the legs they are a beautiful well made set of 17" straight reproduction Camco/George Way Floor Tom legs that were given to me by hunter953 (on eBay) when, I purchased the 3D 20" bass drum. I really like them!

So if anyone is needing replacement Camco floor tom legs, I highly recommend hunter953 on eBay they are fantastic!

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
Bought 'em off to floor at the Music store. 15 years or more later I scored an 18, 12, 14 in green sparkle that I gigged the crap out of for another 10 or 15 years. Never had an Aristocrat snare though.

Hulakatt

Reaction score
Just saw that Precision has this wrap available. I would not have expected that, I assumed it would be way too niche for them to stock. I guess I just need to luck into some CamCo shells that need wrapped :D

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bought 'em off to floor at the Music store. 15 years or more later I scored an 18, 12, 14 in green sparkle that I gigged the crap out of for another 10 or 15 years. Never had an Aristocrat snare though.
Was your green sparkle bop kit a "rail mount" or a "center post" kit? Because, I'm curious how did the hardware hold up? Or did you end up using a snare stand to hold the 12" tom.

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just saw that Precision has this wrap available. I would not have expected that, I assumed it would be way too niche for them to stock. I guess I just need to luck into some CamCo shells that need wrapped :D
Yes it's around... but what I've been told the newer wrap is not quite the same as the original 3D wrap.

For example the bubble shapes are slightly different and smaller. But, I would be interested to see a side by side test.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
Was your green sparkle bop kit a "rail mount" or a "center post" kit? Because, I'm curious how did the hardware hold up? Or did you end up using a snare stand to hold the 12" tom.
Center post. Never a problem. A little chrome flaking, but zero functional issues.

Latest posts