My kit and relative stuff

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there's a "your place" sub forum here, sorry - just boot this there. Playing the newbie card while I can. ;)

I have some stuff I might post from my bar band days almost 20 years ago, it's not great but I don't care. I'd give anything to go back to those days but anyway.

So earlier this year I got a Pearl Roadshow to get back into it, not posting a pic of that kit. Outgrew that after a couple weeks. Shells are ok actually, hardware is crap other than the stands, kick is ok. Tom mounts and snare stand are junk, like kids toys. I'm half thinking of keeping it if I ever find some bandmates for a second set but meh, might just give it away to the local high school and pick up a beater with better hardware.

So I picked up this Pearl Decade set and got 930 series hardware and some K's, and a few Wuhan cymbals, splash and an 18 inch trash which is... breathtakingly trash glory but I don't have it set up here, just the K's and a Wuhan 16 inch crash which sounds really decent for a 60 buck cymbal but it bends easily. I got a low end Meinl cymbal pack and most of it is on the dead side but I kept the little splash which sounds fine, might give the rest of it away.

And a Paiste Rude 22 inch power ride, third one I've owned in my lifetime. I'm glad they're still making them too, best power ride cymbal ever IMO but that's my liking.

So the Decade, maple shell pack. ok, you get maple drums for a decent price but disclaimer, 1.6mm hoops, most of them were bent or warped when I got them. Pearl replace all the hoops with... more bent and warped hoops. I dropped another buck twenty or so on all new 2.3mm hoops from DFD out of Pittsburgh and ok, better hoops. Keep that in mind if you're looking at the Decade set, it's a fine set with better hoops, really fine but out of the box eh. Tossed aside the UT's, might keep them for reso's and replaced them with - going back and forth, Remo clear pinstripes with Evans muffle rings, I get a bright beautiful tone out of them but I'm kind of a harder rock player so I now have Ambassadors on them now. Kick has an Evans EMAD clear and I can't find a better kick head than that, small ring on it. Best sounding drum I have to be honest.

Attachments

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
If there's a "your place" sub forum here, sorry - just boot this there. Playing the newbie card while I can. ;)

I have some stuff I might post from my bar band days almost 20 years ago, it's not great but I don't care. I'd give anything to go back to those days but anyway.

So earlier this year I got a Pearl Roadshow to get back into it, not posting a pic of that kit. Outgrew that after a couple weeks. Shells are ok actually, hardware is crap other than the stands, kick is ok. Tom mounts and snare stand are junk, like kids toys. I'm half thinking of keeping it if I ever find some bandmates for a second set but meh, might just give it away to the local high school and pick up a beater with better hardware.

So I picked up this Pearl Decade set and got 930 series hardware and some K's, and a few Wuhan cymbals, splash and an 18 inch trash which is... breathtakingly trash glory but I don't have it set up here, just the K's and a Wuhan 16 inch crash which sounds really decent for a 60 buck cymbal but it bends easily. I got a low end Meinl cymbal pack and most of it is on the dead side but I kept the little splash which sounds fine, might give the rest of it away.

And a Paiste Rude 22 inch power ride, third one I've owned in my lifetime. I'm glad they're still making them too, best power ride cymbal ever IMO but that's my liking.

So the Decade, maple shell pack. ok, you get maple drums for a decent price but disclaimer, 1.6mm hoops, most of them were bent or warped when I got them. Pearl replace all the hoops with... more bent and warped hoops. I dropped another buck twenty or so on all new 2.3mm hoops from DFD out of Pittsburgh and ok, better hoops. Keep that in mind if you're looking at the Decade set, it's a fine set with better hoops, really fine but out of the box eh. Tossed aside the UT's, might keep them for reso's and replaced them with - going back and forth, Remo clear pinstripes with Evans muffle rings, I get a bright beautiful tone out of them but I'm kind of a harder rock player so I now have Ambassadors on them now. Kick has an Evans EMAD clear and I can't find a better kick head than that, small ring on it. Best sounding drum I have to be honest.
There is no "your place" sub thread. It's been requested before but we don't have one. You posted this in the right place!
Very nice kit you've got there!

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no "your place" sub thread. It's been requested before but we don't have one. You posted this in the right place!
Very nice kit you've got there!
Thanks, I'm really happy with it. Doubt I'll ever go higher end at this point and I know there are a lot of glam kits out there but I might pick up that beater at some point, for fun.

One thing I would mention to anyone looking at Decade, floor tom is 6 lug. I don't have a problem with it, it sounds fine - a bit harsh, I kept a muffle ring on it and a few strips of duct tape on the underside of the head but it's ok.

I did get a separate 14 inch rack tom, I wanted to mount 3 toms up front. Oddly that rack tom has 8 lugs. I had an Export kit 20 years ago with the same setup, 10, 12 and 14 racks but this one is deeper, I didn't think that through and it mounts too high for my liking so it's in that box in the back corner. At some point I'll pick up a better snare stand and mount it as a second floor tom but for now I'm just working my thing.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm really happy with it. Doubt I'll ever go higher end at this point and I know there are a lot of glam kits out there but I might pick up that beater at some point, for fun.
Never say never, Lol!!
I haven't gigged in years and just have my kit for enjoyment. I restarted after a few years of not playing and it's grown and grown. I had that thought process of staying put with what I had at the beginning but that didn't last very long. And the more time you spend on the forum, the worse it gets!
Currently:
Ludwig Classic Maple's in 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 & 22.
Sabian HHX's in 10, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 20 ride 14 hats.
Sabian SR2 12, 19 China & 13 hats
Ludwig Supraphonic, Ludwig Acrolite, WFLIII Maple & Sakae steel snares.
Remo 6, 8, 10 Roto toms
LP mini timbales
Motion-pro throne
Gibraltar rack & 9000 series hardware
Started with much less, Lol!!
IMG_20200827_202255.jpg

Last edited:

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never say never, Lol!!
I haven't gigged in years and just have my kit for enjoyment. I restarted after a few years of not playing and it's grown and grown. I had that thought process of staying put with what I had at the beginning but that didn't last very long.
Currently:
Ludwig Classic Maple's in 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 & 22.
Sabian HHX's in 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 20 ride, 13 & 14 hats, 19 china.
Ludwig Supraphonic, Ludwig Acrolite, WFLIII Maple & Sakae steel snares.
Remo 6, 8, 10 Roto toms
Started with much less of a kit and pieces, Lol!!
View attachment 457614
Dang, I like that shell tone. Ludwig is a kit that I'd like to play but never have.

My brain is telling me to go simple down the road, I'm really maybe a lower end intermediate, I have to focus on getting better so I'm ok with where I'm at.

Beautiful setup you have there, I'd love to take a few taps on them, especially the rotos.

ping, pong, pung lol

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Dang, I like that shell tone. Ludwig is a kit that I'd like to play but never have.

My brain is telling me to go simple down the road, I'm really maybe a lower end intermediate, I have to focus on getting better so I'm ok with where I'm at.

Beautiful setup you have there, I'd love to take a few taps on them, especially the rotos.

ping, pong, pung lol
Thank you. You've got a nice kit that can go forever. I had Pearl (Exports) years ago, it was my first big kit back in the 80's. Had them for like 20 years then sold them and had to downsize to a Yamaha E-kit for a few years. Finally was able to build up a big kit again with Ludwig Evolution Maple's a couple years ago and then went up to the Classic Maple's. I considered the Pearl Master's Maple but in the end stuck with Ludwig. And cymbals, I shifted around from Sabian to Paiste & Istanbul's and ended up back to Sabian which I'm extremely happy with.

Squirrel Man

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. You've got a nice kit that can go forever. I had Pearl (Exports) years ago, it was my first big kit back in the 80's. Had them for like 20 years then sold them and had to downsize to a Yamaha E-kit for a few years. Finally was able to build up a big kit again with Ludwig Evolution Maple's a couple years ago and then went up to the Classic Maple's. I considered the Pearl Master's Maple but in the end stuck with Ludwig. And cymbals, I shifted around from Sabian to Paiste & Istanbul's and ended up back to Sabian which I'm extremely happy with.
Thanks. At my age now, 52 this Decade kit is just for getting better. I'd like to get a junk kit and do some things with some guys if I can find them. I'm not going to be Gavin Harrison at this point in my life but I'd like to approach it.

And have some kicks doing AC/DC or whatever on the side.

Life is good, soak it in while it lasts.

Drummage guy

Reaction score
Did you know That Yamaha‘s shells up until fairly recently were Sakae shells?

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Did you know That Yamaha‘s shells up until fairly recently were Sakae shells?
No I didn't know that. I knew they made the drums for Yamaha but didn't know about the shells. The snare that I have is fantastic. I bought it new a couple weeks ago because I wanted a steel snare as a aux snare. When I heard it, it blew me away and the finish is pretty amazing.