My Latest $100 Snare Drum

andlours

Reaction score
Picked this snare up a few months ago off Craigslist for $100 and finally got around to cleaning it up. It’s a 3.5”x13” Ludwig Jazz Combo snare. This one was weird though. It definitely has been refinished and sported a badge from the mid 60s (300xxx serial number) when i picked it up; but it has a natural mahogany interior, the 50s flathead lug screws and gated, COB hoops. I had an old trans badge lying around so I threw that on the drum to make everything from the same era.

I originally was going to refinish this drum, but the aged, thermogloss style finish has grown on me, and I’m going to leave it as is. It sounds great and looks halfway decent with my black trans badge kit.

7FE1B733-40F0-4C70-AB09-BAB5F431BB13.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's a beaut you own and you got it.
like an old WFL in teenist dimension but mighty in sound

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow !! WHAT A SCREAMING DEAL !! I love that beautifully aged finish . The trans badge is a perfect complement , well done ! I'd give it a soothing rub down with Danish Oil once a year .

Trainbeats and brush shuffles on this baby will make everybody stand to attention .

COB hoops ? Does it get any better ? Santa's tooth fairy is one hip cat .

I love good news ....

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's a beautiful snare! Congrats. Is there a date inside?

andlours

Reaction score
That's a beautiful snare! Congrats. Is there a date inside?

Unfortunately no date stamp. When they refinished the exterior, they finished the naturally interior as well. My only clues as to the date are the older style flathead screws, the natural mahogany interior, and the COB gates hops. All those point to late 50s/early 60s to me. I don’t believe the strainer or butt are original either, so I can’t use those to help date it, unfortunately.