My Latest Drum Purchase: Summit Drums Solid Steam Bent Curly Maple Drumset

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Odds I get an answer I think I'm shadow banned..

"Plan on taking those out of the house?"
I have to scream..
or will they be mainly house pets

Last edited:

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For anyone that might be interested...here's a 7x14 Solid Walnut Steam Bent Snare Drum with cob tube lugs that will blow your mind. I played this drum on Saturday when I picked up my kit. If I had the money, I would have taken it home as well. This drum is the bomb! Super fat and juicy sounding with tons of low end OOMPH! A very impressive drum made from the heartwood of a very old Black Walnut Tree that came from Amish Country. He is only asking $550 for this drum...someone, please jump on it or else I will end up buying all of his drums! He has since put vintage stick savor style hoops that are just beautiful on it since this picture was taken. It is a stunning drum in every way.
View attachment 465979 View attachment 465980
That is a ridiculous deal...just, wow. I should contact Gary, price out a three piece kit. Is there size limits? For example, a 24x14?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Will this be a Gig Kit or what
It will be a gig kit, but obviously not all the drums will be at every gig. Mostly 10,12,13,16 with one bass drum or 10,12,14,16 with one bass drum, I would imagine. I bought it because I want to play them live and at home. They will only get better with time and the more I play them. I remember Hagi from Yamaha saying that drums need to age through several seasons before they really open up and sound great. These drums sound incredible right out of the gate...I can only imagine great they will be after several seasons of aging.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, it is perfect for weddings, bar mitzvahs, piano trios, worship services.....
Come on now, not all the drums need to be played all the time. This kit would be great with the 12 rack and 14 & 16 floor toms with one bass drum too. Really, any combination would be great. I just figured that since his drum sets are all made from the same tree...I would get everything that I could ever possibly want.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotcha ; Take some pics configured in the single bass gig setting too..

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
That is a ridiculous deal...just, wow. I should contact Gary, price out a three piece kit. Is there size limits? For example, a 24x14?
So, Gary Posey can make bass drums up to 22" and 16" deep. He will eventually be able to make 24" and 26" bass drums! His smallest tom is an 8" thus far, I believe. You should definitely have him quote you a kit. You won't be disappointed.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Come on now, not all the drums need to be played all the time. This kit would be great with the 12 rack and 14 & 16 floor toms with one bass drum too. Really, any combination would be great. I just figured that since his drum sets are all made from the same tree...I would get everything that I could ever possibly want.
Please don't think i was really making fun of this kit! If I could afford it, I would use the whole thing whenever possible. I understand the "shell bank" approach, but I also think of it like Simon Phillips - he has "his kit", and he uses it with every gig: jazz gig, The Who, his fusion group, whatever....

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Please don't think i was really making fun of this kit! If I could afford it, I would use the whole thing whenever possible. I understand the "shell bank" approach, but I also think of it like Simon Phillips - he has "his kit", and he uses it with every gig: jazz gig, The Who, his fusion group, whatever....
I love that approach too. Simon is one of my all time favorites...I only wish that I had enough space on a gig to do it. Can you imagine showing up to a jazz gig with a double bass kit with a gong bass drum? It actually makes me giggle just thinking about it. The one thing that is really special about Gary's approach is that he makes your kit all from the same tree...that makes for a very special instrument, for sure. Cheers!

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So, Gary Posey can make bass drums up to 22" and 16" deep. He will eventually be able to make 24" and 26" bass drums! His smallest tom is an 8" thus far, I believe. You should definitely have him quote you a kit. You won't be disappointed.
Awesome. Did you pick shell thickness, bearing edges?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Awesome. Did you pick shell thickness, bearing edges?
The shells are 1/4" thick with 1/4" reinforcement hoops. I liked this stock edges which are 30 degree edges, so more vintage style edges. They make for some very fat, juicy tubs with tons of low end OOMPH! I couldn't ask for anything more and be more happy with these tubs. He'll do different profile edges, if you want. I just wanted him to do what he did...make them like he'd make his own. It worked out great, I must say.

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful kit, Rob. Congrats and I hope it brings you years of joy! I've been checking out Summit website and it's almost too tempting. I'm leaning towards a 24", but should ring Gary up to see what he has to say. That's how you pass time during a pandemic. Love it-JJJ

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful kit, Rob. Congrats and I hope it brings you years of joy! I've been checking out Summit website and it's almost too tempting. I'm leaning towards a 24", but should ring Gary up to see what he has to say. That's how you pass time during a pandemic. Love it-JJJ
Thank you for the kind words. Definitely talk with Gary. He'll be ready to make 24" bass drums in the very near future. I can just imagine how killer a 14x24 would sound!

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoo-gah!

Bold move not to go with any cymbals, but drums of that quality do speak for themselves.