My Latest Drum Purchase: Summit Drums Solid Steam Bent Curly Maple Drumset

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had never heard of Summit before this thread and just spent some time checking out his facebook page; very impressive!
How did you get turned on to them and were you able to play a kit before your order?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's my latest purchase. I had master drum maker Gary Posey of Summit Drums in Ohio make me a solid steam bent Curly Maple drumset that has completely blown my mind. Gary's skills are incredible and he has a passion and excitement for making drums that is infectious. He bends all of the shells himself in his own shop and does all of the finishing work himself. He essentially built me my dream kit...solid, highly figured curly maple drums that absolutely sound stunning and throw some serious low end OOMPH...shaking the rafters of both his house and my house. The finish is baby's bottom smooth and just gorgeous. The drums are in the following sizes: (2) 15x22 bass drums, 7x10,8x12,9x13 toms, 14x14 & 16x16 Floor toms, 14x20 Gong Bass Drum, along with two matching snare drums 8x14 & 6.5x14. The finish work is exquisite and I couldn't be happier. All of the lugs are COB small tube lugs, a la Craviotto. All of this for about 1/2 the price of a Craviotto. I love these drums. Thank you, Gary! View attachment 465832 View attachment 465833 View attachment 465834 View attachment 465835 View attachment 465836 View attachment 465838 View attachment 465839 View attachment 465840 View attachment 465841
Beautiful but I'm not sure you need to cook them on the stove

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had never heard of Summit before this thread and just spent some time checking out his facebook page; very impressive!
How did you get turned on to them and were you able to play a kit before your order?
A friend had an early kit and I picked his brain quite a bit. After that, I talked with Gary extensively, picking his brain until I was ready to pull the trigger. The kit took about 5 months from ordering till pickup last weekend. He was ready quicker than I was and with the pandemic, there were some delays in my getting the hardware together for the kit. Also, he had other kit orders and I told him not to rush mine, knowing that it was a large kit and it would take more time to get it finished. He's a great guy, honest as the day is long, salt of the earth type. He did everything he said he was going to do and far superseded all of my expectations. I have owned close to 150 high end kits over the years...so it takes a lot to impress me. These drums blow my mind...they are that GREAT sounding and they look like fine Stickley Furniture. The finish is something to be seen in person because the pictures don't do it justice. The insides are finished the same way too. A lot of love and expertise has gone into developing these steam bent solid shell drums. The results speak for themselves. Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love that approach too. Simon is one of my all time favorites...I only wish that I had enough space on a gig to do it. Can you imagine showing up to a jazz gig with a double bass kit with a gong bass drum? It actually makes me giggle just thinking about it. The one thing that is really special about Gary's approach is that he makes your kit all from the same tree...that makes for a very special instrument, for sure. Cheers!
Louie Bellson had some big kits with his jazz band. :)

I didn’t realize that he used one tree for that kit! Must have been a good sized tree.

drummertom

DFO Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
For anyone that might be interested...here's a 7x14 Solid Walnut Steam Bent Snare Drum with cob tube lugs that will blow your mind. I played this drum on Saturday when I picked up my kit. If I had the money, I would have taken it home as well. This drum is the bomb! Super fat and juicy sounding with tons of low end OOMPH! A very impressive drum made from the heartwood of a very old Black Walnut Tree that came from Amish Country. He is only asking $550 for this drum...someone, please jump on it or else I will end up buying all of his drums! He has since put vintage stick savor style hoops that are just beautiful on it since this picture was taken. It is a stunning drum in every way.
View attachment 465979 View attachment 465980
That snare looks great. If I'd seen this two weeks ago I would have picked it up.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
That snare looks great. If I'd seen this two weeks ago I would have picked it up.
I have played the drum and honestly...it is a perfect drum. The snare response is perfection, no buzz, no nothing...just perfect. The sticks jump off the head. Super clear sounding, crisp, and FAT. It could be used for any type of music and could easily be used for orchestral work too...it's that good.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where at in Ohio?

Summit county? I grew up in Akron

Summit

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m am truly humbled by all the kind words spoken about this awesome drum set!

I was very fortunate to be able to build this for Rob having never owned any of my drums. He had a very clear vision of what he wanted his drums to look and sound like.

And the badge is my very patient wife’s creation haha!

Dumpy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m am truly humbled by all the kind words spoken about this awesome drum set!

I was very fortunate to be able to build this for Rob having never owned any of my drums. He had a very clear vision of what he wanted his drums to look and sound like.

And the badge is my very patient wife’s creation haha!
PM me your particulars (not on Facebook) and I would love to talk about drums from your shop!

ronnieDee

Reaction score
Here's my latest purchase. I had master drum maker Gary Posey of Summit Drums in Ohio make me a solid steam bent Curly Maple drumset that has completely blown my mind. Gary's skills are incredible and he has a passion and excitement for making drums that is infectious. He bends all of the shells himself in his own shop and does all of the finishing work himself. He essentially built me my dream kit...solid, highly figured curly maple drums that absolutely sound stunning and throw some serious low end OOMPH...shaking the rafters of both his house and my house. The finish is baby's bottom smooth and just gorgeous. The drums are in the following sizes: (2) 15x22 bass drums, 7x10,8x12,9x13 toms, 14x14 & 16x16 Floor toms, 14x20 Gong Bass Drum, along with two matching snare drums 8x14 & 6.5x14. The finish work is exquisite and I couldn't be happier. All of the lugs are COB small tube lugs, a la Craviotto. All of this for about 1/2 the price of a Craviotto. I love these drums. Thank you, Gary! View attachment 465832 View attachment 465833 View attachment 465834 View attachment 465835 View attachment 465836 View attachment 465838 View attachment 465839 View attachment 465840 View attachment 465841
how thick are the shells?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
The question was already asked, so here's the cut and paste:

Trilock_Gurtu said:
Awesome. Did you pick shell thickness, bearing edges?
The shells are 1/4" thick with 1/4" reinforcement hoops. I liked this stock edges which are 30 degree edges, so more vintage style edges. They make for some very fat, juicy tubs with tons of low end OOMPH! The insides are finished just as nicely as the outsides. I couldn't ask for anything more and be more happy with these tubs. He'll do different profile edges, if you want. I just wanted him to do what he did...make them like he'd make his own. It worked out great, I must say.

Wideglyd

Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous. I bet they sound great.