My Latest Ludwig Project

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
These are some 3 ply shells that I had collected over the years for cheap. I had been waiting for an opportunity to do them up right, which finally happened. 12/14/16/20 with a matching 5x14 (this snare is an early 80's 4 ply Rocker, I have an additional 3 ply 6.5x 14 in the works for this set).IMG_3765.JPGIMG_3849.JPG

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow! That project kit turned out great... nice job.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These are some 3 ply shells that I had collected over the years for cheap. I had been waiting for an opportunity to do them up right, which finally happened. 12/14/16/20 with a matching 5x14 (this snare is an early 80's 4 ply Rocker, I have an additional 3 ply 6.5x 14 in the works for this set).View attachment 393392View attachment 393394
That is just sublime, K.O! A la' Jeremy's 6-plys. It's great to see you guys breathe new life, in modified form, to orphaned/abused drums from the major US manufacturers.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great looking kit Kevin! It occurs to me looking at your set w correct ft legs that the 16 and 14 drums are only 2 inches different ; the legs are 17 and 23 respectfully with a 6 inch difference. Why the need for the extra 4 inches?!!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Great looking kit Kevin! It occurs to me looking at your set w correct ft legs that the 16 and 14 drums are only 2 inches different ; the legs are 17 and 23 respectfully with a 6 inch difference. Why the need for the extra 4 inches?!!
Not sure on that but generally speaking the 17" legs are just a bit too short for me to put a 14" floor tom at the height I like. The 23" version is almost too long but if I want to angle them in towards me then that extra length comes in handy on the outer leg. Ludwig used those same legs for the Ludwig Conga drums and also those classroom timp-tom sort of things, perhaps the 23" length was perfect for one of those so they centered on just offering those two lengths. You could get the 23" legs for your 16 or 18 or 20 inch floor tom too if you specified that when ordering...no additional charge.

Thanks for the kind words about these. Finally nearly* have the Mod Orange set I've wanted for years.

*an unfaded original set would be my preference, but these will do just fine.

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K.O. when you recover the shells do you have a pinch roller set up to get all the wrap tight to the shell. It looks like you do
a very good job. And I am curious if the wrap comes from Jammin Sam? Excellent results on this project.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
K.O. when you recover the shells do you have a pinch roller set up to get all the wrap tight to the shell. It looks like you do
a very good job. And I am curious if the wrap comes from Jammin Sam? Excellent results on this project.
I do not have rollers although that would be nice. Through trial and error I've come up with an application technique that works pretty well for me. Although in this case the wrap ( not from Sam) was a bit thinner than normal and I did run into a couple of snags, which, fortunately, I was able to fix fairly well.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's the final (for now anyway) piece of the puzzle. This was a 10x14 3 ply marching snare shell that I picked up a few years ago for $10. I stripped the yellowed and cracked Blue Sparkle finish, cut the shell down to 6.5 inches, removed and replaced the upper re-ring (using our kitchen microwave), cut a new top bearing edge (first time I've tried doing that), rewrapped it, and installed a new repro Keystone badge. I hope to gig with this set using this snare (assuming it sounds okay, so far it seems to work) and since it's "hot-rodded" now anyway I opted to put on a set of die-cast hoops I had and also a set of 42 strand Puresound snares. I'm taking this snare to band rehearsal tonight to see what it can do. No matter what I think I've managed to turn it into a fine piece of eye candy.

20190417_161524.jpg

K.BRN_Percussion_Series

Reaction score
These are some 3 ply shells that I had collected over the years for cheap. I had been waiting for an opportunity to do them up right, which finally happened. 12/14/16/20 with a matching 5x14 (this snare is an early 80's 4 ply Rocker, I have an additional 3 ply 6.5x 14 in the works for this set).View attachment 393392View attachment 393394
Nice! Looks great, congrats on finishing your project and I commend your patience.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
It sounded great at rehearsal tonight . Not sure how much of that was my doing but I'm glad it turned out as a viable player.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's the final (for now anyway) piece of the puzzle. This was a 10x14 3 ply marching snare shell that I picked up a few years ago for $10. I stripped the yellowed and cracked Blue Sparkle finish, cut the shell down to 6.5 inches, removed and replaced the upper re-ring (using our kitchen microwave), cut a new top bearing edge (first time I've tried doing that), rewrapped it, and installed a new repro Keystone badge. I hope to gig with this set using this snare (assuming it sounds okay, so far it seems to work) and since it's "hot-rodded" now anyway I opted to put on a set of die-cast hoops I had and also a set of 42 strand Puresound snares. I'm taking this snare to band rehearsal tonight to see what it can do. No matter what I think I've managed to turn it into a fine piece of eye candy.

View attachment 393857
Wow. That's really nice man. What kind of new edge did you put on it?
Handed it off to Chef Mic, eh? That's a crazy idea! I love it. To loosen the glue right? Did you notice any ply-glue melting?
What'd you think of that 4-ply shell with cast hoops on it?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The new edge is a roundover from the outside in to the re-ring edge. Not sure if that is ideal or not but that is what I was able to accomplish with the tools at hand. I dug out my dad's old router (never used one before) which happened to be mounted on a router table I had bought for him a couple years back ($8 at the Goodwill). I found a roundover bit at Harbor Freight for $5, worked well.

The top section of the shell just barely fit into our microwave. The aluminum flakes in the wrap left inside the scarf joint presented a problem (arcing and a small fire) but I managed to extract that and then it was fine. A 30 or 40 second blast would loosen up the glue. The shell came off in chunks (I didn't care about saving that piece) but it did come off and I had a nice clean ring left.

I had scavenged the keystone badge from this shell for one of the other drums (before I thought of cutting this old $10 shell down) so I ended up installing a new repro that I bought on ebay (from Bum Wrap). It arrived in today's mail (bought it on Sunday) and installed it right before heading to band practice. I used the original P-83 and butt from the marcher.

The Die-casts sounded nice on this shell. I figured they would. I have a Legacy Maple snare with factory Die-casts and that drum also sounds really good. These die casts came on a Standard snare I bought a couple years ago. It was my Avocado Strata snare. I'll be putting regular triple flange hoops back on it. When I bought that drum at the local Music Go Round (since closed) the salesperson offered to swap out the DC hoops that some previous owner had put on the drum for the "correct" ones at "no additional charge"...no thanks.

I have a gig in three weeks, I think it may be a Mod Orange night.