My Little Italy (Zanchi) Setup

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With everyone seeming to go bigger, bigger, bigger with cymbals, I intentionally put together a small diameter cymbal setup of Zanchi's. 13" hi hats, 16" crash/ride with a single rivet, and 18" crash/ride also with a single rivet installed. I'm absolutely loving this setup. Zanchi's have a very distinctive sound. Calling this my Little Italy setup. Drums are 20, 12, 14 '66 Slingerland Red Ripple Pearl with 5x14 pre-serial keystone COB Ludwig Supra.
fullsizeoutput_12b1.jpeg

jb111

Reaction score
Nice; I hear you on this. Looks like a great combo. I'm working on a 14, 18, 20 setup. Pretty standard, but not as much these days. Though, I do love a good 22.

mc437

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice; I hear you on this. Looks like a great combo. I'm working on a 14, 18, 20 setup. Pretty standard, but not as much these days. Though, I do love a good 22.
I have plenty of bigger cymbals, too, and enjoy them. But, as we’ve gotten away from smaller diameters to larger ones, I don’t think it’s purely for sound. I mean, do 18” hi hats really sound “better”? Of course it’s all subjective, but small diameter cymbals can sound just as good, in my opinion.

jb111

Reaction score
F
I have plenty of bigger cymbals, too, and enjoy them. But, as we’ve gotten away from smaller diameters to larger ones, I don’t think it’s purely for sound. I mean, do 18” hi hats really sound “better”? Of course it’s all subjective, but small diameter cymbals can sound just as good, in my opinion.

For sure. Different horses for different courses.

varatrodder

Reaction score
Nice! I do love some Italian cymbals. My “one that got away” set of hihats was some Italian beauties.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear your Zanchi kit. I use a pair of old Zanchi hats and have been curious to hear what the bigger ones sound like.

rock roll

Reaction score
Man, love my Italians as well. Kashian’s, 14” hats, 16 & 18” crashes and a sweet 20” ride. I keep my eye out for the china to complete the set, but that’s a rare bird I’m afraid.

Little Italy is cool name for them. Enjoy them!
I have a 19 3/4" kashian China with my kashian set.