My local drum shop just got these Zickos in

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
That would make a nice summer kit, not to concerned about getting caught in the surprise rainstorm downpour.
Looking forward to the review!

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man that seems like a lot of weight on top of that bass shell - yes? Maybe offer $1200 cash and see where it goes from there. Assuming of course you are interested. Consignment or does the shop own them?
Coy

Speedy Keen

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got a set nearby in well worn shape. Sizes are 22, 18 x 18 and two 10 x 14. Mine is early build with the Camco tom holder , spurs and tom mounts. I think that price is very high. They are certainly cool, but I suspect they may be hard to sell in the future and they are very heavy. The only one I have cleaned and put back together is one of the 14 toms. I really don't think it sounds as good, as I expected or hoped. I am geographically close to Lenexa Kansas where they were built. The first time I actually saw a set of Zickos was around 1970 or 71 at a teen dance in a small town. And yes, I will be afraid to mount both toms on top of that bass drum. Exercise caution. Parts are hard to find also.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Knew a guy in our KC office that used to build drums in Bill Zickos' basement.

When I was at Mizzou in '73 I would drool over a Zickos set at the local music shop.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
No, not mine, the drum shop has them in on consignment. I think the price is delusional.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Make sure EACH 17-piece lug is complete, or you'll soon be in a world of hurt if any bits are missing...

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
I interviewed Bill Zickos years ago for a Not So Modern Drummer article. He explained his proprietary method of building acrylic drum shells. Far superior to Vistalite and others. His shells were rock solid. Thicker than Vistalites, with a bearing edge that was rounded over to the outside.

I had a Zickos snare for a while, and I really liked the sound. Really good snare response and tons of attack. Like halfway between wood and metal.