My local drum shop lent me an A&F Royal set to test : )

Moredrums

Reaction score
So the awesome guys at my local drum shop let me have an A&F set for about a week to play around and listen to what this guys in Austin are making. I must confess I'm a big fan of the looks of A&F, they are unique and have a really cool vibe. I got a 22, 16, 12 Royal Brass set, so I took it to my office to set-up and try and I did take pics for you guys, I know A&F has a very extreme fan or hater response, I guess a lot of rage comes from value v/s price, but this is not about that, it's an exclusive item, and they are cool.
It's the first metal kit I've ever tried and honestly, I figured out I'm a wood guy, it really is a unique sound and quite intersting and motivating to play something like it, but it was not for me, maybe if I try one of the wood sets in the future I will like it.
20201207_195033.jpg
20201207_195015.jpg
20201207_195224.jpg
20201207_195056.jpg
20201207_195045.jpg
20201207_195146.jpg

Moredrums

Reaction score
Lesson here is that in this kind of very special drums, you should really try before you buy. It was easy to tune, it sounds huge, it vibrates a lot, lots of low end from the bass drum, it does sound well, just not my taste. I also guess that if had the time to have changed heads, I would have easily found a sound to like, but I know my other sets with coated/clear ambassadors, and they sound so different, I missed the wood tone. I should try the club maple set.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was
Lesson here is that in this kind of very special drums, you should really try before you buy. It was easy to tune, it sounds huge, it vibrates a lot, lots of low end from the bass drum, it does sound well, just not my taste. I also guess that if had the time to have changed heads, I would have easily found a sound to like, but I know my other sets with coated/clear ambassadors, and they sound so different, I missed the wood tone. I should try the club maple set.
I was at the showroom and liked the vibe of the metal drums more. But I already have some amazing wood drums so I was thinking about something different ( in my head, not to buy)

I have my issues with them, but your thread isn’t the place.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think metal drums sound great I used to have a Black Russian kit ....
The metal A&F drums I’ve played and heard sound fantastic...

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am seriously considering a set. It was in the running when I decided on my Noble & Cooley kit. I may grab one this year. They continue to intrigue me.

Moredrums

Reaction score
"Rage"? Seriously?
Yeah, I've read many posts about price v/s what you get comparing to other brands like sonor or similar. Yes you could buy an sq2 or star or phx instead, and you are free to do so, but this is a different product, it doesn't make sence to compare them. I already have a few hi end sets, and I wouldn't compare them to the A&F, it's a different thing. Maybe I choose the word "rage" in a wrong way, I'm not a native english speaker, let me know.

Moredrums

Reaction score
I am seriously considering a set. It was in the running when I decided on my Noble & Cooley kit. I may grab one this year. They continue to intrigue me.
Yes, there is something special about them. I will also probably end buying one during 2021, I just need to try the right one. The chandler blue and the gold maple look fantastic.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the awesome guys at my local drum shop let me have an A&F set for about a week to play around and listen to what this guys in Austin are making. I must confess I'm a big fan of the looks of A&F, they are unique and have a really cool vibe. I got a 22, 16, 12 Royal Brass set, so I took it to my office to set-up and try and I did take pics for you guys, I know A&F has a very extreme fan or hater response, I guess a lot of rage comes from value v/s price, but this is not about that, it's an exclusive item, and they are cool.
It's the first metal kit I've ever tried and honestly, I figured out I'm a wood guy, it really is a unique sound and quite intersting and motivating to play something like it, but it was not for me, maybe if I try one of the wood sets in the future I will like it. View attachment 477260 View attachment 477261 View attachment 477262 View attachment 477263 View attachment 477264 View attachment 477265
I very much appreciate your candor and honesty. It's a nice break from being lead to believe that everything new and different must be great, particularly with the notion that $$$ buys everything good. I haven't been all that impressed by A&F yet.

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I've read many posts about price v/s what you get comparing to other brands like sonor or similar. Yes you could buy an sq2 or star or phx instead, and you are free to do so, but this is a different product, it doesn't make sence to compare them. I already have a few hi end sets, and I wouldn't compare them to the A&F, it's a different thing. Maybe I choose the word "rage" in a wrong way, I'm not a native english speaker, let me know.
Rage is not the correct word. More in line would be “Dissension”.

Using the word rage as a descriptive exposes you as partisan and immediately mobilized the corresponding group against you.

There has to be a little more to this story. For example, I go into my local drum shop and say; Fellas, I want to borrow that expensive drum kit for a week and will do my best to keep the bass drum claw from putting a ding in the floor tom as a result of someone bumping into from being distracted by my mural in route to my fuse ball table.

Moredrums

Reaction score
Seems every drum is special. Like there are no two "alike" . Is that so?
Yes, and the fact that they manufacture everything in house, they are very different from everything else I've seen, pretty much out of the standard.

Reactions: JDA

Moredrums

Reaction score
Rage is not the correct word. More in line would be “Dissension”.

Using the word rage as a descriptive exposes you as partisan and immediately mobilized the corresponding group against you.

There has to be a little more to this story. For example, I go into my local drum shop and say; Fellas, I want to borrow that expensive drum kit for a week and will do my best to keep the bass drum claw from putting a ding in the floor tom as a result of someone bumping into from being distracted by my mural in route to my fuse ball table.
Thanks for the word use observation!

And sadly no, Im just close to that shop and they know Im a maniac taking care of drums and cymbals, and that I usually end up buying what I borrow, but this was not the case. And about the bass drum "spurs", yes, I also think that they could be a problem for a working musician, the carpet had no damage, but only a week and lightly played.

Last edited: