My Mapex Rebel 6 piece nested kit

MrYikes

Reaction score
This is a pic of my new kit. I'm posting because I will have several questions concerning the drums. This is a Mapex Rebel kit that I have taken off the resonant heads so that they nest together. They sound louder without those heads but not as "round". What heads should I try to give me a chance at a full sounding drum? They now have the original Rebel heads that are Remo clear single ply. By the way the drums are poplar. I haven't counted the plies.
Second question: Have you heard of problems with the lugs on these drums?

Thanks for any help,,,and there will be more questions. ha.

Attachments

Drm1979

Reaction score
I would go with a clear head for sure to get a more rounded sound. My first drum kit didn't have the resonant heads on the toms when I bought them. I know that I used remos, i think they were ambassadors clear. I know that they were 2 ply. You definitely dont want to use a coated head as that can kill any sustain you can get with it without those bottom heads. And I'm not sure of any problems with the lugs on this kit.

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That makes for some easy transporting with them nested, like that in the picture you posted. A Remo Control sound head might be a good place to start on your now concert toms.

MrYikes

Reaction score
I went to Harbor Freight and got 2 moving blankets and a small cart. At home I sewed a bag for the drums. I forgot to pick up grommets so that will come also. With the excess material I will make a cymbal bag. I enjoy having my own sewing machine,,and it keeps my wife happy too.bag 002.JPG

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
The sewing machine is the one power tool that continues to baffle me. I've got one, but never got it set up correctly. I sometimes joke that any guy who thinks sewing machines are for girls simply lacks imagination. I've always wanted one for rope bags, motorcycle gear, utility stuff.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I see three drums one of which is going to get scratched to
shiit by the lug / spur screws , what’s going on here?

MrYikes

Reaction score
Here they are out of the bass and then set up. I will start playing with different heads tomorrow, but right now with the muffler rings on, they sound pretty good. Not Rogers good, but pretty good.
cc 002.JPG
aa 002.JPG

MrYikes

Reaction score
I bought 4' and 3' rods today and cut the 4' in half, bent the ends and they are now my floor tom legs. I left the 3' tall to attach a cowbell. I put the grommets in the drum bag. I then cut 6" off the bottom of
ss 002.JPG
the cymbal stand so that it would fit into the tote.

Latest posts