My method for keeping drumming fresh

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
I only have two kits--one for the rehearsal room (at the bass player's house) and one to use at home and gigs. One more kit would be nice (always, just one more thing, right?) so I wouldn't have to disassemble and reassemble my main kit for each gig, but it is what is, and in this case it is how I found this way to keep drumming interesting to me.

A day or two after the gig I set up just kick, snare, hats and play this way for a while, trying to see what ideas I can come up with that. Then I add a floor tom later (maybe days later), then a ride later after that, then finally crashes and rack tom. By this time I have been somewhat forced to be creative and think about things in new ways, and somehow the gradual set up helps me see adjustments that need to be made in terms of positioning of drums and cymbals.

By not letting myself get too comfortable with a set-up, I am becoming more comfortable and really enjoying playing more because I don't feel like I'm a rut. Am I making any sense? Anybody do anything like this?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Probably the complete opposite ..... I love being able to play my own single bop kit almost blindfolded. It is a kit I can be right on top of with minimum body or arm movement and can comfortably hit any piece with either hand. That makes my comfort zone and then I feel free for anything .........

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do the same thing sometimes setting the kit back up piece by piece.
I'm not brave or good enough yet, but I'd like to make a switch to three piece with my 14x20, 12x14 & 5.5x14; sizzle 19 and hats. Some day!

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
I forget who it was, one of the celebrity drummers and instructors anyway - he had this system for inspiration where you limit yourself (much like you’re describing).

Can’t use the floor tom/ only use bass and rack tom/ snare and floor only, and on and on. And then you can do it with stickings and feet too - strictly alternating hats and bass/ you can only hit a tom after a bass drum / only singles on left hand only doubles on right hand... You can really make up any silly rule you want, as long as it restricts you in some way and forces you to conform to a different method of playing. I think it’s a pretty cool concept, maybe it’ll spark someone’s creativity.