header.nohb.html

My new 16" Remo Coated Ambassador won't fit my Slingerlands!

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
I'm finishing up my restoration of a 1979-80 Rosewood-veneered Slingerland Buddy 80N kit (5 ply), and while all is going really well otherwise, my two brand-new 16" Remo Coated Ambassadors batter heads won't fit. They seem slightly too wide for the stick-saver rims. I had to put the crappy old used clear Remo heads back on. :(

The shells and the rims are both in the round, the bearing edges are clean on both 16" floor toms, upper and lower. I haven't tried forcing them, because I don't want to risk hurting those edges. Are these the wrong heads for a vintage drum?

The Remo Coated Ambassador batter head fits just fine, albeit initially tight, on the 13" rack tom.

Help? Thanks!

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Aquarian texture coated heads will have a tighter hoop, usually they don't fit on old american drums. Those might help

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I'd try contacting Remo, tell them of your issue and maybe they'll swap you for some Classic fit batters or something.

JCKOriollo

DFO Master
Reaction score
Your old heads are probably broken in much more and stretched out a bit. Your sling shells may be a tad oversized. You should try classic fit ok both your 13 and 16. The more freely the can resonate, the fuller the tone usually.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
Attached are a few pictures of a 1975 BR 80N kit I had back in 2007. The only heads that would fit properly were the original Slingerland heads, which you can see in one of the pictures. These heads were still being made by Slingerland. Forget about Remo Ambassadors, which had a tight fit! Evans hadn't yet come out with their Level 360 heads, which MIGHT have fit. I have no doubt that the new Remo "Classic Fit" heads would be perfect!

-Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0055-1.jpg
    IMG_0055-1.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0068-1.jpg
    IMG_0068-1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 17

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Are you saying, the head won't fit in(side) the rim?, the hoop? or on over the shell.. (2 different things)

one or the other or both?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I read it as they dont fit inside the hoops. If this is correct Classic fit might not solve the problem.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
They 16's are too large to fit inside the hoops, but the 13 fits, just barely ...

Since I have two floors, I have four 16" rims, obviously. But since they were too badly rusted, I replaced them with better, excellent condition rims that I found on E-Bay. There is no combination of the two new heads and the eight used rims that will work.

Are not the Classic Fits designed for shells that are too large for modern heads, which would be kinda the opposite of my problem?

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't add anything helpful to this conversation but I would love to see that kit!

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fullerton 9/72 said:
They 16's are too large to fit inside the hoops, but the 13 fits, just barely ...

Since I have two floors, I have four 16" rims, obviously. But since they were too badly rusted, I replaced them with better, excellent condition rims that I found on E-Bay. There is no combination of the two new heads and the eight used rims that will work.

Are not the Classic Fits designed for shells that are too large for modern heads, which would be kinda the opposite of my problem?
Correct. Classics just have a more narrow collar however the total diameter for each type of head is about the same. Im hearing the replacement eBay hoops are the problem. Are they stick savers? If so, could they be MIJs not slingerland? Ive known the 60/70s MIJ steel stick savers to be real tight and otherwise hard to separate from the slingys.

Ray Dee Oh King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As others have stated, Try the Remo Classic fit heads, or Aquarian American vintage heads. I accidentally bought modern vintage heads and they fit on my '40 Slingerlands. A little snug but they do move freely. I eventually put the American Vintage heads on my '40 Radio King snare drum and they fit nicely.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
But all eight stick-saver rims - obtained from three different sources - four of which came with the 100% original un-messed-with kit - can't all be bad! What are the odds of that?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, you did mention trying all 8 hoops. Its interesting the old heads fit. Other than weather master, I cant think of a brand of head that runs small and has a rounded collar to help slide into the hoop. Unfortunately finding 16s is not easy.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is an odd issue! I've never had a problem with heads fitting into either COB or COS Slingerland rims. I thought we were talking about head to shell fitment issues. Wish I could see this kit up close to help make a determination of the problem.

-Mark

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
let's go to the shells..
Do the heads drop on the shells? ( without hoop..

2) get a rubber hammer and try tap them in
they and the hoop may just need a 'little urging....