My New Classic Maple (w/all roundover edges) Came In Today!

codydee12

Reaction score
So I ordered this Ludwig a few weeks ago on Oct. 7. I wanted a smaller maple kit that with a (IMO) timeless finish. I had all the bearing edges cut to be round overs. I honestly could not be happier with the final product!

I have seen some other folks on here asking about the round overs since ludwig started offering that beginning of this year. I did a quick take just to capture the sound straight out of the box. more to come later after I have time to get to know her.

The short take hyper link - I am still learning how to capture sounds well/mix. I only added an eq to the main bus clear up the sound since I am own the lower end of mic quality.

The Specs:
Classic Maple in Sable Black with Roundover bearing edges
20x12 kick
12x8 tom (no rack mount)
14x13 floor tom (with the Triad bracket)

Photo Dec 03, 4 41 12 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 03, 4 42 13 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 03, 4 43 39 AM.jpg
Photo Dec 03, 4 44 19 AM.jpg

Last edited:

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful kit! Mine has the standard bearing edges (new model as well) but I've been curious to know the difference in sound. I'm gonna compare your recording to mine.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah! dig it... my CM's are on the shipping truck from Ludwig as I type. How do those roundovers sound in comparison to the 45's (if you've played both)?

codydee12

Reaction score
Very cool. I didn't realize they offered edge options...or such a shallow bass drum.
Apparently the edges are a new thing to this year. Not sure how long they have offered the different depths on kicks. I have never owned a 12 inch depth but Love it so far! I have a 22x16 and a 24x14. I can really feel/hear a difference. the 12 is a good bit shorter of a sustain.

codydee12

Reaction score
Oh yeah! dig it... my CM's are on the shipping truck from Ludwig as I type. How do those roundovers sound in comparison to the 45's (if you've played both)?
I have played both....and owned both. I personally like to be on the tubby side of drum sounds. I feel like the roundovers take off some of the cutting frequencies that really make a lot of modern drums have attack. I had the classic maples in the downbeat config with 45s and really loved them. I just have spent too much time on youtube during covid and got the itch to sell some of my drums to fund this purchase.

codydee12

Reaction score
Those sound great! That kick is thunderous!
Yeaaaaa probably should have pulled that beta 52 down a little bit. That’s my bad. But it is a thunderous sounding kick. Nothing in the drum and no port hole.

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have played both....and owned both. I personally like to be on the tubby side of drum sounds. I feel like the roundovers take off some of the cutting frequencies that really make a lot of modern drums have attack. I had the classic maples in the downbeat config with 45s and really loved them. I just have spent too much time on youtube during covid and got the itch to sell some of my drums to fund this purchase.
Funny, I did the exact same... purged almost my entire drum collection, ordered up new CM's and cymbals and changed my sound. Quarantine'll do that to you I guess, lol. I stuck with the base single 45 edge option as I've played exclusively vintage for a dozen or more years and wanted to change to something more modern and punchy. Anyhow, beautiful setup there... decidedly more classy and timeless than my garish color option, which I will undoubtedly share here at some later date.

codydee12

Reaction score
Funny, I did the exact same... purged almost my entire drum collection, ordered up new CM's and cymbals and changed my sound. Quarantine'll do that to you I guess, lol. I stuck with the base single 45 edge option as I've played exclusively vintage for a dozen or more years and wanted to change to something more modern and punchy. Anyhow, beautiful setup there... decidedly more classy and timeless than my garish color option, which I will undoubtedly share here at some later date.
You don’t know how similar we are, then. I had only WFL/luddies that were from the 40s-60s. I had all meinl cymbals and all DW 9k hardware pre covid. I sold all the hardware (minus snare stands and pedal), sold 2 of the 3 kits, and sold all the meinls. Now it’s primarily DW 6k stands, all Istanbuls (that I absolutely love. Wish I would have made that change a while ago) and, the obvious, new classic maple.

You will have to let me know when you kit arrives. I am sure it’ll be a beautiful kit. Ludwig is good at that. Haha.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa! They sound great! You've got a nice touch. The black is such a classy look too.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ludwig must be shipping all over the place. my 2 add on 10" and 13" toms are due to arrive tomorrow that I ordered 8 weeks ago.