My New Drum Kit: INDe Wafarer 22-13-16; I've Achieved My Goal!

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one vintage Ludwig kit 20-12-14-16 that I keep at a friend's house because I ONLY have room where I live to store one drum set. I made the decision recently to sell my 1987 Yamaha Recording Custom because (a) it took up too much space where I live, and (b) it was too damn heavy to lug around at my age. I still wanted "big" drums but they needed to be light. I thought about a Yamaha Stage Custom, which is lighter, but then I decided to trust my judgement and invest in a brand new 'custom' kit.

I bought an INDe Wafarer drum kit from Josh at INDe. 22x10, 13x6 and 16x10. Blue Stain finish. I added a tom mount on the bass drum.

Plus a couple of BR3 mounts to put two cymbals on top. AWESOME drum kit that does what I want it to! Great sounding and light!
I've finally achieved my goal of owning only two kits, and minimizing the weight and space that they take up.

Here are pictures of the kit with factory heads [right out of the box], and my set up after picking drum heads that work best for my sound and me.
Stretch

Attachments

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome,
The only kit I want is an Aluminum wayfarer . Then I will finally be happy !!!

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one vintage Ludwig kit 20-12-14-16 that I keep at a friend's house because I ONLY have room where I live to store one drum set. I made the decision recently to sell my 1987 Yamaha Recording Custom because (a) it took up too much space where I live, and (b) it was too damn heavy to lug around at my age. I still wanted "big" drums but they needed to be light. I thought about a Yamaha Stage Custom, which is lighter, but then I decided to trust my judgement and invest in a brand new 'custom' kit.

I bought an INDe Wafarer drum kit from Josh at INDe. 22x10, 13x6 and 16x10. Blue Stain finish. I added a tom mount on the bass drum.

Plus a couple of BR3 mounts to put two cymbals on top. AWESOME drum kit that does what I want it to! Great sounding and light!
I've finally achieved my goal of owning only two kits, and minimizing the weight and space that they take up.

Here are pictures of the kit with factory heads [right out of the box], and my set up after picking drum heads that work best for my sound and me.
Stretch
Nice - welcome to the world of short stacks.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!

You have a band logo there on the kick so I’m curious how you think this kit fares in live situations (should that be happening for you), mic’d vs unmic’d, etc.

I have a possible long term plan for an INDe, on a sure-to-come-grail-quest for lightness, and would invite your opinion. I can see by your kit and stands that you are farther on that path than I am.

That kit looks sexily pragmatic and cool.

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
How do you like it? I’ve been eye balling those kits for awhile. Also are you playing a sound edge bottom on top and bottom for hat setup

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice looking kit! I really like the color and you got some great size shells.

I had the BR3 mount installed on my Pork Pie’s and I had it sitting straight up, until I saw your pics! So I figured out how to turn it on the side like yours and I can really find the sweet spot for the Tom now. Thanks! And Josh is a pleasures to deal with...

Good luck!

owr

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful kit Stretch, congrats!

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Congratulations!

You have a band logo there on the kick so I’m curious how you think this kit fares in live situations (should that be happening for you), mic’d vs unmic’d, etc.

I have a possible long term plan for an INDe, on a sure-to-come-grail-quest for lightness, and would invite your opinion. I can see by your kit and stands that you are farther on that path than I am.

That kit looks sexily pragmatic and cool.
I took the kit to a band rehearsal. We play after hours in the back of a music store [where I work] without mikes or monitors. Just playing to the sound of each other's amps and my drums unmiked. Large space, high ceiling. Because we're between 10 and 20 feet away from each other we get to turn up the volume and play fairly loud. I can hit as hard as I want.
My INDe kit performed nicely. The band said they heard everything, toms and bass drum cut thru easily. I don't think I will have any trouble being heard unmiked in small club situations (or breweries) which is where we usually would be playing.

I have a good friend who has the same kit as mine in black. 6x13, 10x16, 10x22. He's selling it. PM me if you want contact info.
Stretch

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
How do you like it? I’ve been eye balling those kits for awhile. Also are you playing a sound edge bottom on top and bottom for hat setup
I like the kit a lot. Lightweight. Resonant. Great sounding. As I said in my first post, I sold my 1987 Yamaha Recording Custom to replace it with this INDe. I'm not sorry I did it, I'm actually excited about it!

I have a good friend who has the same kit as mine in black. 6x13, 10x16, 10x22. He's selling it. PM me if you want contact info.

Good eye...yes, one of my sets of high hats is a Paiste 2002 [Black label] Sound Edge over a Paiste Rude 3000 Sound Edge. I get a great chick sound, and without being miked they are loud and crisp for the music I play, which is psychedelic surf.

Stretch