My new drum kit Sonor SQ1!

A Stick

Reaction score
Hey Fellow Drummers;

This is the first new drum kit that I have ever acquired. I heard a SQ1 snare at Drummers Hangout a couple of months ago and I was totally impressed. I am Gretsch USA custom guy but I wanted another kit that was outside my comfort zone. Now my comfort zone has expanded! These SQ1's are extremely warm sounding, distinctly clear notes and they have more sustain than I imagined. A high end Sonor kit made in Germany that is affordable. That my fellow drummers is a winning combination!
IMG_20190118_1322281.jpg

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, man! I remember the first Sonor I bought back in the day; that was one fun un-boxing!

R

RickP

Great pickup Adrian, the SQ1 line are really impressive sounding drums. Maybe the fattest sounding birch kit I have ever heard or played. Slightly shorter sustain than maple ( as you would expect)but tons of bottom end. These would make a great recording kit. I love the Cruiser Blue, that would be my choice from their finish selection too.

I love the SQ1 snares, I purchased the snare Adrian refers to from Murat’s Shop and it has quickly inserted it’s way into the snare rotation on my gigs.

Pimp-a-diddle

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got to thinking about why Sonor birch sounds so much better than most other manufacturers, and I'm convinced it has to do with the undersized shell and the bearing edge. For whatever reason, that "tympani" construction really works for that wood. A 45 on a regular shell is actually not the best edge because of the way the drumhead seats on it. If you undersize the shell, then you "move" that sharp edge off of the return to the collar, and it now sits properly on the head.

blownaway

Reaction score
Nice kit Adrian! Glad to see another SQ1 Cruiser Blue owner. Love mine also. I have 22, 13, 16 & 18 with a Gretsch USA Bell Brass snare. I too enjoy the tone, overall build quality & look.

A Stick

Reaction score
Nice kit Adrian! Glad to see another SQ1 Cruiser Blue owner. Love mine also. I have 22, 13, 16 & 18 with a Gretsch USA Bell Brass snare. I too enjoy the tone, overall build quality & look.
Thanks, the 18" floor tom is next on my list!

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These SQ1's are extremely warm sounding, distinctly clear notes and they have more sustain than I imagined. A high end Sonor kit made in Germany that is affordable. That my fellow drummers is a winning combination!
Couldn't agree more! I have the 24/13/16 + snare combo. I was so enamored with them that I ordered matching 12" and 14" toms. Wonderful drums.

20180716_175259.jpg

shnootre

Reaction score
Congrats! I have a new hot rod red SQ1 kit, the 20” configuation. Love it. Took advantage of the free snare promo, and I’ve been counting the weeks...it was 8-12, and as of tomorrow I guess I am at 2-6 weeks. Can’t wait until I get my hands on that thing!

Latest posts