My new favorite drum accessory

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I had a hearing test. I knew my hearing wasn’t what it used to be so I wasn’t surprised that there was some loss. Not to the level of hearing aids yet fortunately.

Then I watched a YouTube video of a drummer explaining how he played a particular pattern and he was using some of those headphones that have built in mics for normal conversation but then shut down once a loud sound occurs.

So I go out to the garage knowing I have a pair in my gun range bag. Tried ‘em at the house with the kit I have here and was impressed how well they worked. I then took them to practice last night and loved ‘em. They make the drums sound like you’re mic’d up for a stadium tour but really cut out a lot of the painful high pitches of cymbals, etc.

I think I just changed my ways and will be using them a whole lot more. Plus Bluetooth models are available so you can use them for listening to music while mowing or whatever.

Attachments

Last edited:

notINtheband

Reaction score
Amen!
I have a set of Direct Sound EX-29 Headphones – Extreme Isolation headphones I use in studio and discovered long ago they are perfect for rehearsing. Like you said, almost like it muffles and eq’s the kit.
Take them off and the snare is harsh and LOUD! Lol
If it’s just me rehearsing or working on parts I always have these on.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Amen!
I have a set of Direct Sound EX-29 Headphones – Extreme Isolation headphones I use in studio and discovered long ago they are perfect for rehearsing. Like you said, almost like it muffles and eq’s the kit.
Take them off and the snare is harsh and LOUD! Lol
If it’s just me rehearsing or working on parts I always have these on.
These are great, with one reservation. I have an large cranium, these are really tight on my head.

Because of this, I prefer a decent set of earplugs. I play in a band with all guys ten years younger than me. I'm the only band member without significant hearing loss, because I've been wearing earplugs to play since the late 1990s.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got a good set recently, as my hearing had started to take a dump.
I didn't spend 2 grand on headsets, or anything like that. I didn't even get the best of the brands line.
I've been using them a couple months, and the buzzing had subsided, I don't have junk stuffed in my ears, and the voice that speaks to me is super pleasant (and real ((I swear)) .
I don't have to have anything blasting in my ears anymore.
IF I ever gig again, I'd hope the band would be okay with me wearing cans. That's not really a concern at the moment

notINtheband

Reaction score
These are great, with one reservation. I have an large cranium, these are really tight on my head.

Because of this, I prefer a decent set of earplugs. I play in a band with all guys ten years younger than me. I'm the only band member without significant hearing loss, because I've been wearing earplugs to play since the late 1990s.
Yep, I use the volume-decreasing ear plugs live. I forget the brand but they were about $40ish and they really do preserve the tone while lowering the volume. Plus they aren’t a set of cans on the ears so they just look invisible.
Wish I had done this as a teen and beyond. I have some partial hearing loss due to years of max volume rehearsing with no ear protection.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Absolutely!!
I recently was practicing with my earbuds in and was shocked at the sound of my drums, like they were miced up!

DD

Reaction score

I’d also be curious to hear any recommendations /experience with these. Both headphones or earplugs that can dampen loud noise but still allow lower levels and conversation sound like great idea!

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Though I have the non-Bluetooth type I found a good deal on the Bluetooth type so I ordered them. Plus these have 4 mics so I’m curious how they compare to the 2 mic type I have.