My new favorite Ludwig snare; what is it?

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So about three weeks ago, Jeremy bought some cymbals at Dale’s drum shop in Harrisburg, and posted photos of some other drums and cymbals there. I saw the three Ludwig snares, that all appeared to be re-wraps, and even some cut down shells. For the last couple years I have been wanting a deep, 10 lug Ludwig drum, So I jumped on the chance here, called Rej at Dale’s, asked him some questions, he sent some photos, and I pulled the trigger.

So here’s the snare. I played it at a rehearsal the other night, and love it. It is heavy as anything, and the diecast top hoop is something I’ve never had before.

So what can anyone speculate or tell me about this? Clearly rewrapped. There’s speculation it is a cut down marching drum, and these might be original strainer and snares? Whatever, the bearing edges on top and bottom are well cut.

it will be my new gig snare. For 99 bucks is was a no-brainer. Thanks to Jeremy for posting the photos here! EEC328BD-184A-4B9B-B5B1-81F3E7094729.jpeg B821CC50-EB07-491B-AE0C-D46C0EB8E15D.jpeg 79056835-BE93-4B21-B92D-1A2296B04F36.jpeg 0B770474-F1B6-4227-80F4-5469227D178E.jpeg

Torquey

Reaction score
Unless I missed it, no one commented that the snare has a die cast rim on the top but a triple flange one the bottom. I remember seeing a Stewart Copeland Tama snare like that. I doubt the top hoop was original. Love the snare wires. That snare seems versatile. It's got to be a great drum. Enjoy it!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Very cool. I didn’t inspect closely, but I remember the blue sparkle one seeming like the lugs were too tall for the shell, the bottom hoop was tensioned all the way to the lug casings! That’s what made me think they were all cut down marchers. Glad you love it, and as someone else mentioned, you could refinish as you please and not feel guilty.

SwissTrips

Reaction score
Unless I missed it, no one commented that the snare has a die cast rim on the top but a triple flange one the bottom. I remember seeing a Stewart Copeland Tama snare like that. I doubt the top hoop was original. Love the snare wires. That snare seems versatile. It's got to be a great drum. Enjoy it!
I was thinking the same, about the Copeland snare by Tama. Cool snare, interested in how it sounds!

dharma bum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I didn’t inspect closely, but I remember the blue sparkle one seeming like the lugs were too tall for the shell, the bottom hoop was tensioned all the way to the lug casings! That’s what made me think they were all cut down marchers. Glad you love it, and as someone else mentioned, you could refinish as you please and not feel guilty.
You're right - the blue sparkle snare did look uneven in the photos. I am convinced now, after the great comments here and reading earlier DFO posts, that this is indeed a Rock/Concert snare, 6-ply. And a post from several years ago had photos of one (with Butcher Block wrap https://www.drumforum.org/threads/ludwig-rock-concert-butcherblock-6-5-snare.156032/ ) that seemed to have come from the factory with a die cast top hoop, but flanged snare side. I assume but not totally sure it is a rewrap, but if so it's pretty well-done, clean around the badge and grommet.

The drum sound greats, the rim sounds solid, more wood-block-y than my KB Acro hoop. First post-COVID gig is Wednesday, when I will really be able to try it out at full volume and play with the snares.

I have a mixed Ludwig 6-ply 12/16/22 and a silver sparkle Rocker II 12/16/22 I rewrapped, so this wrap will match fine for now. Thanks for the help, y'all.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I assume but not totally sure it is a rewrap, but if so it's pretty well-done, clean around the badge and grommet.

The drum sound greats, the rim sounds solid, more wood-block-y than my KB Acro hoop. First post-COVID gig is Wednesday, when I will really be able to try it out at full volume and play with the snares.

I have a mixed Ludwig 6-ply 12/16/22 and a silver sparkle Rocker II 12/16/22 I rewrapped, so this wrap will match fine for now. Thanks for the help, y'all.
Okay, if the wrap looks pretty good then that’s good. This drum was sitting with a 3 piece set of rewrapped orphans in the same bowling ball black wrap, so I assumed he wrapped them all at the same time. I noticed the wrap on at least one of those was iffy — I couldn’t remember which drum. Maybe he wrapped the other drums to match this one? Rej tells me the guy did a LOT of at home stuff, rewraps, builds, etc. There was a PILE of Ludwig congas in the corner from the same guy, some were factory and some were completely DIY.

Congrats on the gig! And this drum seems like a great match to your sets!