My new Fender American Jazz Bass

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seeing all of these other gorgeous Fender American Jazz Basses from other Forumites inspired me to start looking for a special one for myself (and my youngest daughter who is a bonafide bassist). I actually had been eyeing these special edition 2017 Jazz basses with the special aged cherry lacquer and flame maple tops for over a year. There were only a couple left NOS and I just couldn't resist this beauty. It plays like a dream and sounds so old school. I just love it and I couldn't be happier.
u71spjbokqrg8rxz1sqa-1.jpg
jblrm82kprf4yviurbqm.jpg
wrx1gbhi8eqpxsijuelv.jpg
isvidxgomlunvl6lq46s.jpg

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have owned several Jazz Basses in my life -- Mexico, Japan and U.S. models. All have been at least good, but some of them have been absolutely astounding. I hope yours falls into the astounding category!

I have only one Jazz Bass left, and it's not even a Fender Jazz Bass. It's actually G&L's Tribute JB (from Indonesia). For the price I paid ($299 shipped), it does a very nice job of covering my Jazz Bass needs.

Happy playing to you!

wraub

Reaction score
I'm more of a P bass player lately, but I still have a Jazz bass around, because you have to. ;)

Enjoy your new bass. :)

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm more of a P bass player lately, but I still have a Jazz bass around, because you have to. ;)

Enjoy your new bass. :)
I really like them both, but I think that the Jazz fits my hands a little better. I do have a P bass with a PJ set up that is really nice too.

wraub

Reaction score
I have a P, a J, and a PJ, but the P Bass always gets my love. It's the oldest of the three and it just feels right. :)

I really like them both, but I think that the Jazz fits my hands a little better. I do have a P bass with a PJ set up that is really nice too.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a P, a J, and a PJ, but the P Bass always gets my love. It's the oldest of the three and it just feels right. :)
Hey, send a couple pictures of that P Bass that you love! Tell me about it? Rosewood or Maple neck? Stock?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice. I love my Jazz Bass.
I find that the specs really fit my hands, but I really just love the feel of the neck. This one is a Rosewood neck, but my daughter has an American Jazz with a maple neck that is just dynamite too. Tone wise, I just find that it sounds like I think a bass should sound. I think that tone is hard to beat.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very nice looking bass! Are you a relatively new bassist, or have you been playing for quite a while?
Thank you, brother! I have been farting around with guitars and basses for over 40 years. I was a much more diligent player of both instruments back in the 80s, but then sold my gear off to help fund a recording studio in the early 90s. I am just getting back into it on a hobby basis, taking lessons here and there. Both of my kids play guitar and bass, along with Piano and sax, so they generally confiscate my nice axes and that's all she wrote... :) They are both very good players and fortunately have good tastes in music. It's fun to watch them develop as musicians. I am a firm believer in buying investment/heirloom grade instruments so that you don't have to keep on upgrading and buying things over and over again. If they continue with their playing, they will have instruments that will last them throughout their lifetime. I figure just buy the best once... Buy once, cry once!
When I retire, I plan to get more serious about it, so I figured I would buy a few things that catch my eye while I am still working and making money. Until then, it's just on a hobby basis.