My new Legacy Mahogany kit! And a question

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
These just arrived, so pardon me for showing them off. Lol. Amazing work by the folks at Ludwig here in NC!

Legacy Mahogany 13/16/22 with a 1965 Pioneer snare. For those of you playing Mahogany kits, what heads are using for an old-school sound? I'm trying Vintage Ambassadors on toms and PS3 on bass for now, but open to suggestions.

Since I have "bright and cutting" covered with my other Ludwig kits and Paiste 2002s and Giant Beats, I really wanted a vintage, old-school, dark, warm, but lots of tone, sound. I joined an all-female acoustic 3-part vocal harmony "grass-rock" band and thought these would fit the bill perfectly. And being a Paiste fanatic since 1991 when I got my first Paiste, the decision to go back to Zildjians for this was not taken lightly. But after some trial and error, I fell in love with the Keropes after hearing Chris Powell use them with The Highwomen. I'll probably also pair them with my Paiste 602s for some recording.

I'm loving this kit! Thanks for letting me show them off.

IMG_9967_sm.jpg
IMG_9985_sm.jpg
IMG_9988_sm.jpg
IMG_9994_sm.jpg
IMG_9995_sm.jpg
IMG-9938_sm.jpg

Radio King

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gorgeous drums!! I've always been partial to Red Sparkle, and yours just took my breath away. You are right on in your Legacy assessment: dark, warm, with lots of tone describes their sound perfectly. Regarding heads, I have a Legacy Maple Pro Beat set, and they have Vintage Ambassadors on the toms currently, but I found them to be too thick and dark for my preferences (maybe dead is a better word) - I much prefer coated Ambassadors on mine. The bass drum has the stock PS3 batter and unported smooth PS3 reso, which seem to do the job just fine.

Love the red cymbal felts, BTW.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philaiy9

Reaction score
Nice kit! For an old school sound I like ambassadors best on the toms but emperors are a close second. The reso is tuned much higher than the batter, Bonham style. On the kick I have an emperor w/ felt on the batter and the Ludwig logo PS3 as the reso. This combo sounds great, but I'm thinking an ambassador w/ felt as reso might get a little more volume and attack.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great looking drums Amy !! I also love the red accents (throne , felts ) . Personally I would go :
coated Ambassadors batter and resonant on the rack Tom
Coated Emperor batter and coated Ambassador resonant on the floor Tom .
Coated PS3 on the bass batter with a felt strip running 9 o’clock to 3 o’clock just below where the beater hits .
Snare batter would be a Remo CS coated .

Another option for you that would give you a warm vintage sound :

Tom Batters - Remo Fiberskyn diplomat
Tom Reos - Remo Coated Ambassador
Bass Batter - Coated PS3 with CS dot

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Just awesome. I wish I could hear them! Red sparkle is slowly becoming my favorite finish. And I love that your throne matches! The red Roc-n-Soc is the greatest of all of thrones. :)

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These just arrived, so pardon me for showing them off. Lol. Amazing work by the folks at Ludwig here in NC!

Legacy Mahogany 13/16/22 with a 1965 Pioneer snare. For those of you playing Mahogany kits, what heads are using for an old-school sound? I'm trying Vintage Ambassadors on toms and PS3 on bass for now, but open to suggestions.

Since I have "bright and cutting" covered with my other Ludwig kits and Paiste 2002s and Giant Beats, I really wanted a vintage, old-school, dark, warm, but lots of tone, sound. I joined an all-female acoustic 3-part vocal harmony "grass-rock" band and thought these would fit the bill perfectly. And being a Paiste fanatic since 1991 when I got my first Paiste, the decision to go back to Zildjians for this was not taken lightly. But after some trial and error, I fell in love with the Keropes after hearing Chris Powell use them with The Highwomen. I'll probably also pair them with my Paiste 602s for some recording.

I'm loving this kit! Thanks for letting me show them off.

View attachment 499139 View attachment 499140 View attachment 499141 View attachment 499142 View attachment 499143 View attachment 499144
Beautiful drums! If I may ask, did you buy them from a dealer and, if so, what was the lead time?

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Another option for you that would give you a warm vintage sound :

Tom Batters - Remo Fiberskyn diplomat
Tom Reos - Remo Coated Ambassador
Bass Batter - Coated PS3 with CS dot
This is exactly what I was thinking of trying, even the bass batter. I love the Fiberskyn Diplomat on my Pioneer. Great minds! ;)

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going to keep the t-rods on your bass drum? Transporting always ends up with t-rods getting moved. :(

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, I ordered them from 2112 Percussion, my local store. Lead time was 3 weeks exactly!
Wow! That’s faster than I expected. I’m guessing they were in stock at the factory as ordered. A friend of mine recently received a Legacy Maple kit with some custom features. It took about 3 and a half months to be delivered. Christmas holiday may have played a part.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Wow! That’s faster than I expected. I’m guessing they were in stock at the factory as ordered. A friend of mine recently received a Legacy Maple kit with some custom features. It took about 3 and a half months to be delivered. Christmas holiday may have played a part.
Not sure. I also ordered a 6.5" Legacy Mahogany snare at the same time (different color), but I'm still waiting for it.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Beautific!
Congrats!
Wow!
Single ply coateds all around those toms
Bass,not too muffled
Snare,dotted