My new Legacy Mahogany kit! And a question

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Slingerland set with mahogany 3 ply shells (mahogany interior). I used remo renaissance heads on the batter with the original calf heads on the reso side. Super warm tone on them.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those are beautiful! I hope you’ll post some sound files. Can’t go wrong with Mahogany and red, and I’m anxious to hear how you like the Keropes. Congrats! New drum day is a great day!

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the simply gorgeous new drums! I have Legacy Maples and also like a warm, vintage sound. I'm using the following heads:

Tom Batters & Resos: Remo Fiberskyn Diplomat
Bass Batters: Fiberskyn PS3 w/Moleskin patches on beater areas (using hard felt pedal beaters)
Bass Resos: Fiberskyn PS3 with muffling strip cut-down to half its original width (use a scissors)
Wood Snare (Dyna-Sonic) Batter: Fiberskyin Diplomat
Metal Snare (Black Beauty) Batter: Fiberskyn Ambassador

For Bass Reso I would also consider the Fiberskyn FeltTone (built-in felt strip) but I haven't personally tried one.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For a warm vintage vibe I agree to go with 1 ply coated heads top and bottom. Remo Ambassador or Evans G1 (though I prefer the G12 over the G1 for batter heads).

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOWZER! Just a stunning set! Congratulations on the new additions... here is to many years of happy gigging together!!!

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm running coated vintage Emperors over coated vintage Ambassadors on my African mahogany Premier kit. Super warm, super fat. Also, Aquarian Modern Vintage heads fit the bill, too. They're warm, fat, dark, and have that vintage tone.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow!! Ain't that a sexy kit! Congrats!

I'm running Ludwig Weathermaster Heavy (top & bottom on toms of both my three ply kits. They're great (if you can find "em). A few weeks ago I was on my way to the hospital emergency room. I had just left the house & a walked 2 blocks when I came across a cardboard box on the street with a bunch of drum heads, mostly used Emperors & lo & behold there were 2 brand new unplayed NOS Ludwig Weathermasters in that pile, a coated 13 and 16" heavy! I schlepped 'em back home before turning around and going back to the hospital.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You just can't go wrong with Delmar Red Sparkle. And Ludwig Legacy Mahogany drums are the bomb. Gorgeous kit.

I prefer Remo Classic Fit on Ludwig drums...they sound the most vintage, to my ears. Now we need a clip of you playing them!

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know why everyone is doing backflips over this kit.

Not exactly an eye-catching wrap, and Ludwigs aren’t particularly good drums.

But I know you Ludwigers are a passionate lot so I’ll humor you:

Vintage Ambassadors on the toms and a coated PS3 on the kick batter, although these guys suggesting a Fiberskyn may be onto something.

Luckily, you’re a skilled drummer who will get such a second rate kit to sound fantastic.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I was thinking of trying, even the bass batter. I love the Fiberskyn Diplomat on my Pioneer. Great minds! ;)
I would stick with the FSA on the bass drum as well...at least on the batter side.
I've got one on two of my kits and they sound fantastic.
...nice kit, btw. LOVE the "pull-me-over-red" finish. Very "80's". :thumbup:

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful kit for sure. My Legacy mahogany kit still has the Ludwig heads that came on the kit from the factory. I grabbed 4sets of heads (13&16) right before Ludwig stopped making them. I love the sound from the heavy heads. I put a coated Evans Emad on the kick using the smaller ring for dampening. No muffling in the drum and the stock head that came with the kit. I use an Ambassador head on my 65 supra and a clear resonant head on the snare side. I either play my 602s or my Zildjians when I use the kit, which is almost all the time. Enjoy the sound of your drums!
10315E78-E5D2-4C90-AA10-2E2AD422BF10.jpeg

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Remo Ambassadors top and bottom. Either clear or coated. As far as cymbals are concerned...Paiste 602s would go GREAT with this beautiful drum set. Congratulations, Amy!

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Powerstroke anything will work fine on the bass drum, but if you're into a real old-school sound, you should go without a damping ring; those PS3 style perimeter rings just cover the sound too much imo; you don't hear the full effect of the bearing edge.
Either Ambassador for lower volume or Emperor for louder styles. Felt strip off-center. With a port, you could also put a little bit of muffling inside the drum if needed, and remove it for unmic'ed playing.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want really old school vibe use Earthtone calf on the tom batters and clear ambassadors on the reso.
Clear ps3 batter and Earthtone reso on the bass. That’s the combination I use on my wfl mahogany drums.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always loved red sparkle, and for some reason I've never owned a kit that color.

Thank you for reminding me that I'm an idiot. :D

Seriously, that is beautiful!

Ludwig Legacy Mahogany?

WOW! Just wow!

Congratulations, they are stunning.

I lost track of my thoughts here. You asked for head recommendations.

On my Gretsch USA Customs I was going for a warm tone that I think would also work well on your legacy kit.

I used a Remo Coated Vintage Ambassador over a Coated Ambassador on the high toms, and a Coated Vintage Emperor over a coated Ambassador on the floor toms.

A Coated Ambassador batter on the bass drum with a felt strip off center gives a great vintage tone in my opinion.

Last edited: